Sponsored by:

largest PCA race class?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
you have a "NASA" chip and a PCA stock chip and then *forget* to take the "NASA" chip out for the PCA race...oops
I think that I can do that. I wonder if anyone notices the GTS on the ECU? Common scruit, GTS means "goes to stock"
The only problem is that I no longer have either boxes, or the car.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:24 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there no adjustment for the Air/Fuel mixture?

Does anyone have a dyno sheet that shows their AF ratio? Would you post or share the number?

TIA
Old 02-28-2012, 06:39 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

E is the former F class, right? If so, the "F troop" used to dominate the East Coast in the good old days. Scotto was doing 1.24s around Summit in a g-50 car. Scotto might chime in, but these guys were all running 3.2 G-50 cars I believe. Mark Forester, Cal, Henk, Bob Scotto, Jeff Burger.... those guys ran hard, clean and put on a show as well as I can ever remember. Heck, Forester ran a targa if I remember right and would tape all the seams of his hood to get the extra aero! I'd watch in envy wishing that my Pop could wheel like that.

Anyone remember Savenor and Oliver Z battling in their C2s in the old "E" class?

Moral of the story... it can be done in the 3.2s.... in my opinion. And legally.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

I'd pay money to see Mark Hupfer (sp?), Mike Ellis, Jim Buckley, Fred C, Savenor, Scotto, Burger, and Poetl (in a 944S2 for good measure) go at it at the Glen in "E" cars.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:46 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Der ABT
for the 3.0 tuning is thru fuel...with a US spec motor converted over i believe frank does not have the correct fuel pressure going in but with the correct part he should see some more power...i could be wrong but thats more correct parts vs tuning.
only tuning you can do is with exhausts as far as i know...i got some extra HP taking off the mufflers i had on it... ive heard buckley has put down some good numbers with the 3.0 headers on a 3.2 etc
but i just drive the thing so there very well could be other legal ways to do so. i just have no idea if or what they are....

besides the nitrous bottle i mean fire extinguisher.
Just to clarify, my car does have all of the correct Euro parts now, the critical one being the fuel distributor. Because the SC 's are not governed by a chip, you can advance the timing and take advantage of race fuel, which you can not do on a Carrera without an illegal chip. Beyond that, exhaust is critical and I have managed to snag a pair of genuine RSR headers, but we haven't dynoed different mufflers yet. FredC told me his best HP result was with straight pipes.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:51 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Is there no adjustment for the Air/Fuel mixture?
No adjustment that I know of as getting the correct AF Ratio in an SC is a function of the correct fuel distributor and warm up regulator. In a Carrera, I believe it is governed by the chip.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR911
E is the former F class, right? If so, the "F troop" used to dominate the East Coast in the good old days. Scotto was doing 1.24s around Summit in a g-50 car. Scotto might chime in, but these guys were all running 3.2 G-50 cars I believe.

Moral of the story... it can be done in the 3.2s.... in my opinion. And legally.
IIRC, the G50 Carrera raced at a lower weight in the good ole days. Then PCA added weight (to 2906 lbs) in maybe '05 or '06?

Were those guys getting it done against MH in his Euro SC?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:54 PM
MJR911
Three Wheelin'

Good point Jack, I'm not sure. Somewhere in there PCA added weight to all classes to account for being weighed 'with driver' I believe as well?

Agreed, I put MH up against anyone. Would be a great race to watch.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
No adjustment that I know of as getting the correct AF Ratio in an SC is a function of the correct fuel distributor and warm up regulator. In a Carrera, I believe it is governed by the chip.
It can be adjusted at idle and part throttle and cars that have to meet emissions must do this in order to pass, but at WOT it is not adjustable. My car came from California and at idle the CO was set to ZERO.

If PCA really wants to make it fair they should limit the timing and rev limit on the SCs. Both can easily be checked in seconds.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:02 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris M.
If PCA really wants to make it fair they should limit the timing and rev limit on the SCs.
Does anyone know what is the factory rev limit on a Euro SC? My '83 US owners manual says 6500 + or -200 and my US spec rev limiter kicks in at the high end of that range. I corresponded with one of the scruts on this issue before the season and he said they would be enforcing factory rev limits in stock and prepared classes this year but I did not see any evidence of that at Sebring.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SkankyFrank
Does anyone know what is the factory rev limit on a Euro SC? My '83 US owners manual says 6500 + or -200 and my US spec rev limiter kicks in at the high end of that range. I corresponded with one of the scruts on this issue before the season and he said they would be enforcing factory rev limits in stock and prepared classes this year but I did not see any evidence of that at Sebring.
Rev limit on USA SCs is controlled by de-energiizng the fuel pump relay at a certain rpm. The Euro cars used a rev-limiting rotor and the limit was set to 6800 + or - 200. I use the turbo ignition rotor that has a built-in 7000rpm limit. If you use the standard rotor you can rev it as high as you want.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:20 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 40 Posts

If the Euro cars came from the factory with a 6800 RPM Rev limiter, by PCA rules you need to use that rev limiter.

Anyway, those engines don't make torque above 7K, even my 2.7RS goes flat up there. So unless it saves a shift (Carolinas M P autocross section pre-update) it never paid to exceed the stock rev limiter.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:25 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by analogmike
If the Euro cars came from the factory with a 6800 RPM Rev limiter, by PCA rules you need to use that rev limiter.
Which is exactly what I plan to do. Left the US limiter intact for an extra safety margin during break in.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

AFAIK that part is NLA so the 7000rpm turbo rotor is the closest thing.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: largest PCA race class?