NASCAR is ....

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:20 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts
Default NASCAR is ....

stupid. The Bud Shootout was nothing short of a disaster. I don't think there is much of a difference between watching a NASCAR race an watching YouTube videos of trains and trains wrecking.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:40 PM
gomarlins3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We enjoyed it. But hey, you watched as well.......
Old 02-19-2012, 02:09 AM
Hot Oil
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine who has raced a few pro series called NASCAR the WWF of motorsports. Sometimes entertaining but not real.

Bob
Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Brian France is smarter than Tony George, but then again that doesn't say much.

NA$CAR is designed for the lowest common denominator, such is the nature of their demographic.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Are you all kidding?

The driving skill seen last night was incredible. Kyle Busch may be a douche but his car skills are as good as ANY driver in the world in any series. That save he made was incredible.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Are you all kidding?

The driving skill seen last night was incredible. Kyle Busch may be a douche but his car skills are as good as ANY driver in the world in any series. That save he made was incredible.
THIS
Old 02-19-2012, 09:33 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

I have no doubt they are talented. Fact is, I find the format boring and pointless until the last two laps. Winning, I would argue, has more to do with luck than skill. (restrictor plate races).
Old 02-19-2012, 09:49 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When it comes to actually racing, NASCAR isn't even the same league as V8 Supercars.

NASCAR jumped the shark a long time ago. It is now the Vince McMahon of Motorsports productions, with declining ratings and attendance.

But they do have Danica this year.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

And yet.............you guys are ALL watching it.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not. I tried yesterday, for the first time in a while. Fell asleep. I'm not arguing the talent. Money attracts talent. I will admit the road courses are entertaining, and they are doing a few more of those.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:17 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,455 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
I'm not. I tried yesterday, for the first time in a while. Fell asleep. I'm not arguing the talent. Money attracts talent. I will admit the road courses are entertaining, and they are doing a few more of those.
^^^^THIS^^^^

NASCRAP has a handful of great drivers that keep their mouth shut because they make a ton a money a year. There are also the hillbillies that run 1 lap and park the car and get a nice paycheck. That's total BS for a pro series IMO.

Then you have the manufactured race results when NASCAR wants to bunch the field or cause this or that to happen. MANIPULATION OF RESULTS is WWF.

But they will never learn. It's in their DNA. If they would let races play out like they did for the final one of the year in 2011 between Tony Stewart and what's his name for the title, it bring genuine drama and intrigue to the "sport".

Folks, there is a reason why the NFL and sports in general continue to attract multi-billion dollar TV contracts. It's the ultimate reality TV, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN. Is it any wonder why NASCAR ratings have continued to slide? To say nothing of ticket sales in the stands.....
Old 02-19-2012, 11:43 AM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Talent? Yes - definitely.

500 laps in less than 2 hours? Monotonous.

4 left turns equals a race? Yes for 10 lap sprint races.

Do not practice or cancel races b/c of rain (and not a torrential downpour)? Stupid rule - you have all these fans come out to watch and you cancel b/c of rain (when the prima donnas in MotoGP or F1 race in it). Don't care they don't bring rain tires. Hell might as well cover the ovals and race indoors. Make it the arena league of racing with more "action" or offense.

Have over 100 sponsors just on one car? Marketing ruining a sport is definitely see in NASCAR.

Not a single space on a drivers racesuit because of sponsors? See above.

Fuel Injection? Yes...but only in 2012...over 20 years after universal industry adoption. I wonder if its a mechanical system or they use "computers" to control fuel now.

As mentioned above - $$ brings great talent. But how long will they be a sellout racing series to marketing. Especially when your real enthusiast is not "middle class" but struggles to feed their family versus purchase race tickets and attend a race.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:53 AM
cornerhans
Instructor

My personal favorite is ALMS. That said, all kinds of motorsports have some appeal to this gearhead. I like the history of nascar as an American invention that has it's roots on and off the pavement with American modified muscle. That's plenty to get me excited.

I totally agree the kind of wreckage we viewed last night and since the "boys have at" rule was implemented is not the best for the sport. I would prefer the "boys have at it rule" be changed, as it's awfully difficult for a driver in the heat of a track battle to be a fair judge and jury. It just encourages bent metal.

But then again, ALMS has had it's share of bent metal over the years. Bergmeister and Magnussen come to mind at Laguna Seca in 09.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:25 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Hillbillies and horsepower don't mix...and believe me I know a little about both!
Old 02-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

More effective than a sleeping pill.

Quick Reply: NASCAR is ....