Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASCAR is ....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:39 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

Before the start, Mindy asked me, probably wondering wtf, "what's the point of the half time break?". I said, "because they need more time to interview Danica, and then Michael Waltrip, who will be last after crashing in the early laps".

Which is what happened and what they did.

Just saying....Other than the outcome of the last lap shootout, Nascar on TV is unbearably predictable.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:51 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Are you all kidding?

The driving skill seen last night was incredible. Kyle Busch may be a douche but his car skills are as good as ANY driver in the world in any series. That save he made was incredible.
Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
THIS
yep, some phenomenal skill involved. I think Kyle Busch is one of the best drivers in the world, in any series. and Tony Stewart (who finished second in the shootout) has already proven that he's fast in any car he gets in. so you can't deny the driver skill and talent.

yes, the race last night was an engineered 200 mph demolition derby. and yes, that's what NASCAR does to get viewers (remember how much people B&M'd about the "tandem draft" races?).

but they are also probably the only racing series in North America that makes money for all parties involved (sanctioning body, teams, drivers, sponsors, etc) so they must be doing something right.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:08 PM
jcs_911
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
And yet.............you guys are ALL watching it.
^^^ NOT THIS ^^^

Originally Posted by Pete
^^^^THIS^^^^

NASCRAP has a handful of great drivers that keep their mouth shut because they make a ton a money a year. There are also the hillbillies that run 1 lap and park the car and get a nice paycheck. That's total BS for a pro series IMO.

Then you have the manufactured race results when NASCAR wants to bunch the field or cause this or that to happen. MANIPULATION OF RESULTS is WWF.

But they will never learn. It's in their DNA. If they would let races play out like they did for the final one of the year in 2011 between Tony Stewart and what's his name for the title, it bring genuine drama and intrigue to the "sport".

Folks, there is a reason why the NFL and sports in general continue to attract multi-billion dollar TV contracts. It's the ultimate reality TV, YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING TO HAPPEN. Is it any wonder why NASCAR ratings have continued to slide? To say nothing of ticket sales in the stands.....
^^^ THIS!! ^^^
Old 02-19-2012, 07:46 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Danica qualifies 30th.
Impressive...
Old 02-19-2012, 09:10 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Danica qualifies 30th.
Impressive...
Kyle Bush qualified 28th. Two whole spots in front of Danica. Didn't he do pretty well just last night?
Old 02-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Danica qualifies 30th.
Impressive...
LOL and you qualified........oh, that's right.....
Old 02-19-2012, 10:08 PM
gomarlins3
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^THIS!!!

Th people that bitch the most are the ones that have never (or ever will) drive at 195+ MPH with 40 other 3400 lb cars with 900 HP around them.

Don't like it, don't watch. Simple as that.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:40 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Odd, pay her a compliment and you get the same reaction as if you did not.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:52 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was fun to watch. I wear my redneck proudly. As a driver watching that you just get nervous, since it's probably 70 MPH faster than I have ever gotten my little s2 up to and they are 2 inches off each other on those crazy in banks. Nuts.

It was fun to watch Kurt Busch run hard up front. He'll be fun to watch this season. I read an interview where he's glad to run for a small team. He said he'd won races where the sponsors critiqued an nit picked his victory celebration. That's messed up.

For the S&P guys.....? I think any one of those teams would love to run a full race. You know the drivers would. If you ever want an underdog to root for, pick one of the smaller teams....Phoenix, Front Row, etc.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:14 AM
9.5 Degrees
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I saw the highlights on Speed Center so I did not watch nor would I set my DVR to nascar car races, but I have to say that the two Busch saves were awesome.

That said, I don't know if you have to go 195 to have an opinion on this. My belief is that they are not racing until the last 20 laps of a 500 mile race. When they do start to race, there are a lot of wrecks because they are racing and not just going in circles.

There are better ways to spend 5 or 6 hours on a Sunday IMO
Old 02-20-2012, 12:47 AM
car_slave
Pro

That was a crash fest highlighted Kyle Busch's saves and ultimate win. I liked the paired drafting from previous seasons. It brought different drivers to the front and required a lot of skill and coordination. I guess there weren't enough crashes to keep the masses happy so they had to make it more dangerous.
I'll bet there are 20 or less working cars left at the end of the 500 next week.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

interference in the outcome by the governing bodies happens in every series, difference is most series do it before and after the races with rules and "performance penalties" that favor one team or manufacturer over another (often much to Porsche's detriment). NASCAR chooses not to pretend it doesn't happen and just throws a good caution here and there to liven up the show.

Problem with the roundy round races is that it's really difficult to see just how hard this stuff is and how good the drivers are - it is boring even if you appreciate it. A "little" slide at those speeds in those cars with guys 3 inches away on all sides is CRAZY. With road races, it's much easier to see their talent and the action is just that much more exiting to watch.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean F
interference in the outcome by the governing bodies happens in every series, difference is most series do it before and after the races with rules and "performance penalties" that favor one team or manufacturer over another (often much to Porsche's detriment). NASCAR chooses not to pretend it doesn't happen and just throws a good caution here and there to liven up the show.

Problem with the roundy round races is that it's really difficult to see just how hard this stuff is and how good the drivers are - it is boring even if you appreciate it. A "little" slide at those speeds in those cars with guys 3 inches away on all sides is CRAZY. With road races, it's much easier to see their talent and the action is just that much more exiting to watch.
Spot-on
Old 02-20-2012, 10:17 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Why does every car shower sparks when it's even remotely out of sorts? Not a wreck but just getting sideways? Even light taps... Are the cars built with skidplates to make the show that much more sparkly?! Just saw the highlights and had to back it up on slowmo, cars just getting sideways are emitting huge showers, which means something is hitting the ground. It can't be a wheel because the guys that collect it up keep racing, if it's the suspension or the chassis that would be a crappy design, it would be like driving a car bottomed out on the bumpstops or high centered on the chassis.

I understand that these are not the carbon fiber tubs on most road racing cars, but they are not that different than a Pratt & miller tube Mazda, corvette camaro etc... And yes speeds are different as well but the sparkle show continues well under 50-60...never seen this with an alms or trans am car, not to this extreme.

And what's with driving a fully engulfed fireball for another lap and into the pits? Natural selection at work?

Meh, not a fan, about like driving in freeway traffic out here...
Old 02-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Texas2Step
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by J richard

And what's with driving a fully engulfed fireball for another lap and into the pits? Natural selection at work?
IIRC, he said he didn't have any brakes at that point. His crew was yelling at him to stop at the fire truck, and he said "no brakes".

Quick Reply: NASCAR is ....