Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Atlanta 2012

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012 | 10:44 PM
DanR
Drifting

was my first time there last year and despite the rain LOVED the weekend. Great track and get wood through T12 the first time
Old 02-24-2012 | 12:37 AM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

***Calling all the racers that are on the fence for the Road Atlanta Race***

If you are planning to race Road Atlanta, Peachstate Region really needs you to sign up NOW!! With the current registration, they may be forced to add an additional DE group. Its not what they want to do, but we need more racers to make it a non-decision.

So, go directly to clubregistration.net right now and sign up....

(John H. can you change the title to this thread to Road Atlanta 2012 - REGISTER NOW!!) ?

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 02-25-2012 | 04:07 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

I thought after the great turnout for Sebring that RA would be a big seller. I wonder what's keeping the registration down? The economy? Gas prices? Recent years weather in March at RA?
Old 02-25-2012 | 06:24 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisc
I thought after the great turnout for Sebring that RA would be a big seller. I wonder what's keeping the registration down? The economy? Gas prices? Recent years weather in March at RA?
The last few years this race has had miserable weather.
I like racing in the rain, but the torrential downpours have been pretty ridiculous. PCA has done a great job juggling the schedule to try and get some dry racing in, but I think people are just tired of it.

It's really too bad. Road Atlanta is a bad *** track and the the event is a lot of fun. This should be a big event.
Old 02-25-2012 | 08:27 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

No doubt in my mind that the weather is the issue with registration. I would not be doing this race if this were a normal winter, but with all the warm weather this year I think it is worth the risk.
Peachstate should swap their race date with their Oct. DE. A later date in April would work too.
Old 02-25-2012 | 09:53 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I would not be doing this race if this were a normal winter, but with all the warm weather this year I think it is worth the risk.
Don't you live right down the street? How much risk could there possibly be? The registration fee is a small drop in the bucket... it's the 15 hours of towing and 2 days off work that really costs me.
Old 02-25-2012 | 10:00 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

And how many nights hotel?
Old 02-26-2012 | 09:39 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

So, my guess is it's a combo of unsure weather & expense. Note avatar pic - taken at last years CR at RA, sunny & dry!
Old 02-26-2012 | 10:07 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Astroman
Don't you live right down the street? How much risk could there possibly be? The registration fee is a small drop in the bucket... it's the 15 hours of towing and 2 days off work that really costs me.
I hear ya, bro. Much bigger issue for you and others with the long tow and hotel, etc. The thing is, I don't like driving RA in the rain. It is high penalty in the dry, add water and cars get bent in high numbers. That takes the fun out of it for me. This year is going to be nice. Last week we had a 74 degree day.
Old 02-26-2012 | 10:45 AM
67King
Race Car

So, my guess is it's a combo of unsure weather & expense. Note avatar pic - taken at last years CR at RA, sunny & dry!
You've got some impressive photoshop skills, Chris!

See you there next month. Excited and a bit nervous about it (will be my first race).
Old 02-26-2012 | 12:37 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Realistically, we ALWAYS get a lot of racing in some way or another.
Yes, there seems to always be a day or 1 1/2 days of rain, but the Race Staff seems to figure out how to squeeze every bit of race time into the dry times.

I went back to look at my pictures and video from 2010, 2009, and 2008 (couldn't make 2011) and saw a lot of dry, sunny days. Sure, there are rain pictures, but lets focus on the positive here....

Back in 2009, I made a video from the RA club race - shows both rain and dry races. And for those that complain about 'music' in a video, it was something I was playing around with, showing stuff from different aspects of the race...being somewhat 'artistic'... plus, much of the sound from the camera was wind noise.

FYI, I was running GT5R class, with a 2.2 liter 914.

Old 02-26-2012 | 01:08 PM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 67King
You've got some impressive photoshop skills, Chris!

See you there next month. Excited and a bit nervous about it (will be my first race).
No photoshop but the pic was taken on Friday when it was a beautiful day! Just tuck in behind the old fart in the red car and you will be fine, but don't pass him, will affect family holiday gatherings!
Old 02-26-2012 | 10:59 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VERBOTN
hmmmm rain and possibly sideways snow what could possibly go wrong for a first timer at RA? @VR arriving Weds and absolutely taking every op to check out the track.
Don't worry your Tampa crew will be there
Old 02-27-2012 | 03:39 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
LOL! It's either/or. In car coaching or detail the rig

No combo meals?
(with lobster)
Old 02-27-2012 | 03:51 PM
67King
Race Car

No photoshop but the pic was taken on Friday when it was a beautiful day! Just tuck in behind the old fart in the red car and you will be fine, but don't pass him, will affect family holiday gatherings!
Well, before I tuck in, I have to grid close to him. On paper, I should as he's close to 3100# and I have to add balast to get to 2900#, and I've got bigger tires. But he's been doing this a LOT longer than me.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta 2012