Sponsored by:

Update: Rear view cam added. Video Sebring 48hr GT3 Cup

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 02:23 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 156 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Update: Rear view cam added. Video Sebring 48hr GT3 Cup

Here is a video from Sebring. Unfortunately the camera didn't work during the first sprint. This is from the qualifying session. I only had one lap due to the black flag. The tires weren't completely warm but it was still a decent lap. I think we may have some rear facing footage from the first sprint. I will try to edit that and post it later.

EDIT: Added the rear view of the first sprint. Pretty cool perspective.

Last edited by coryf; 02-14-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 886 Posts

Nice, nice! Look how Cory flows the car, folks. No surprises, very little drama (even on cold tires), lets the car do all the work...
Old 02-11-2012, 05:56 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Nice, nice! Look how Cory flows the car, folks. No surprises, very little drama (even on cold tires), lets the car do all the work...
Right on, very smooth!
Old 02-11-2012, 06:24 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice Cory!
Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coryf
Here is a video from Sebring. Unfortunately the camera didn't work during the first sprint. This is from the qualifying session. I only had one lap due to the black flag. The tires weren't completely warm but it was still a decent lap. I think we may have some rear facing footage from the first sprint. I will try to edit that and post it later.
Bummer to hear about the camera issues for the first sprint. I would have loved to see the battle between you, Sofronas and Veilleux from your vantage point. If you are able to share any of the rear facing video, that would be great.

Thanks for sharing the video of your qualifying lap. Definitely a very nice lap!! However, with such a large number of cars running in this event, how the heck did you find such a nice open spot in traffic for qualifying?? It looked like there was nobody else on track!! I kept thinking "Any second now a slower car is going to get in the way and screw up Cory's lap" . . . but that didn't happen. Very nice.

Jeff
Old 02-12-2012, 12:59 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

After I submitted my reply, I actually turned on my brain and probably answered my question. Cory, my guess is that you were at the head of the pack for the qualifying session and you needed to set a good time on cold tires on that opening lap because you would be catching traffic soon.

Assuming that is the case, that leads to a different question: How were you able to get lined up at the head of the pack for qualifying? Do they line you up by a previous best lap time? Or, when getting on the grid, is it a first come, first served system? If the latter, how did you beat everyone else to the grid with such a large amount of cars at this event? I would imagine that wouldn't be easy . . .

Jeff
Old 02-12-2012, 05:24 PM
fapena
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand the "let the car flow" part. Can somebody elaborate on that?

Thanks a lot.

FAP
Old 02-12-2012, 07:00 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jeff Lamb
After I submitted my reply, I actually turned on my brain and probably answered my question. Cory, my guess is that you were at the head of the pack for the qualifying session and you needed to set a good time on cold tires on that opening lap because you would be catching traffic soon.

Assuming that is the case, that leads to a different question: How were you able to get lined up at the head of the pack for qualifying? Do they line you up by a previous best lap time? Or, when getting on the grid, is it a first come, first served system? If the latter, how did you beat everyone else to the grid with such a large amount of cars at this event? I would imagine that wouldn't be easy . . .

Jeff
They grid qual normally based on the third practice session results. P3 ends up being a qualifying for qualifying. I was first that session so was gridded P1 for the qual run. Traffic was a problem all weekend with 80+ cars on track. Open laps were very few and far between.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Originally Posted by coryf
They grid qual normally based on the third practice session results. P3 ends up being a qualifying for qualifying. I was first that session so was gridded P1 for the qual run. Traffic was a problem all weekend with 80+ cars on track. Open laps were very few and far between.
Cory, thanks for confirming how things work. Using P3 times sounds like a good approach because it puts the fast guys up front for the qualifying session. And . . . you definitely made great use of that first lap on cold tires!! That lap was great to watch.

By the way, in between your work, family and car racing schedule, do you think you will be able to make any trips to CMP to run the kart track at all this year? My race car won't be back on track for probably another 3 months and it is my plan to get my act together and start running my 125 shifter kart at CMP to attempt to get myself back in shape. Would love to run with you one of these days . . .

Jeff
Old 02-13-2012, 01:40 AM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good work!
Old 02-14-2012, 02:29 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Added the rear view to the first post.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:56 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by fapena
I don't understand the "let the car flow" part. Can somebody elaborate on that?

Thanks a lot.

FAP
My impression of that comment is how he picks a line and holds it all the way from turn-in to track out, with very gentle steering input. You never see corrections like forcing the car to the apex or diving away from or towards track out.

There also appear to be parts of Sebring that don't have a precise line. There are a couple of sections where turn-in occurs from mid-track or 2/3, depending on the prior exit. He doesn't force the issue, he follows the car. There is also a section of small, sweeping turns that require gentle smooth hands and follow that same concept.

Of course I say this having never driven Sebring. But I did do 30 minutes last night on Forza 4 while following VR's track notes.

Thanks for the video Cory! I now have my 'go to' video as I prep for my visit there next month.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by jakermc
My impression of that comment is how he picks a line and holds it all the way from turn-in to track out, with very gentle steering input. You never see corrections like forcing the car to the apex or diving away from or towards track out.

There also appear to be parts of Sebring that don't have a precise line. There are a couple of sections where turn-in occurs from mid-track or 2/3, depending on the prior exit. He doesn't force the issue, he follows the car. There is also a section of small, sweeping turns that require gentle smooth hands and follow that same concept.
Oh dang, just now am I seeing Fernando's question. Sorry...

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. He doesn't "drive hard". He knows the car knows where to go, and he just gives it some adult guidance getting there, very gracrful, very smooth. Very relaxed.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Cory, I just now was able to spend a few minutes to watch the video from your rear facing camera. All I can say is "Wow"!! Definitely a clinic on how to drive a slower GTC car faster than most of the guys with the faster GTA cars. There was tons of action going on including some great passing and some off track excursions that you recovered from nicely. You were definitely using ALL of the track!! It's too bad your front facing camera footage was lost. If you would have been able to edit together your front and rear facing footage on a split screen, that would have even been more amazing to watch. Looked like you probably had a lot of run driving in that race.

By the way, what kind of camera are you using for your rear view and how do you have it installed on the car??

Jeff

Quick Reply: Update: Rear view cam added. Video Sebring 48hr GT3 Cup