Sponsored by:

Do springs wear out?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:38 AM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Do springs wear out?

I had a lengthy argument about the longevity of springs. The issue was whether they wear out.
Assume that the coil spring is 20 years old and visually appears fine - no cracks. Also, no noticeable problem.
Any metallurgical discussion would be welcomed.
Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

A few years ago I changed 25 year old springs on a Jaguar XJ6... the new springs raised the ride height up by almost an inch. Based on that, and nothing more scientific, I'd say that springs relax to a certain extent over time.

But, I'd also hazard a guess that spring decline is a logarithmic function - it relaxes most early on in its life, perhaps the first few years, but not so much between 20 and 30 years old.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:08 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,001 Likes on 598 Posts

If I remember right, springs never lose rate, but will start to collapse. But, there are lots of race teams that consider them maintence items.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think that a soft oem spring driven HARD will degrade faster and moreso than a hard aftermarket spring driven occasionally on track.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:54 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bed springs wear out.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sig_a
Bed springs wear out.
That was really helpful. I'll have to remember that.....
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
That was really helpful. I'll have to remember that.....
Think about it. Both are spring steel. Both are made pretty much the same way (rolls of wire bent in a machine). Both hold up a pretty much constant weight over time. It's actually a pretty good comparison and one the guy who runs H&R gave us one time in a presentation here.

Springs definitely can go bad. Look at about any Ford Taurus on the road. They are all dragging the back ends around. It's a known problem. I have seen OEM springs, and those from both H&R and Eibach lose spring rate over time. It's not nearly as pevelant in the good aftermarket parts as the cheaper parts, though.
I'm not sure if all this helps you here, but yes, they can go bad.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:02 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
Think about it. Both are spring steel. Both are made pretty much the same way (rolls of wire bent in a machine). Both hold up a pretty much constant weight over time. It's actually a pretty good comparison and one the guy who runs H&R gave us one time in a presentation here.

Springs definitely can go bad. Look at about any Ford Taurus on the road. They are all dragging the back ends around. It's a known problem. I have seen OEM springs, and those from both H&R and Eibach lose spring rate over time. It's not nearly as pevelant in the good aftermarket parts as the cheaper parts, though.
I'm not sure if all this helps you here, but yes, they can go bad.
I understand they can go "bad" as evidenced by a difference in ride height. But if the ride height has not changed, can they still go bad. In other words, are you saying that spring rate will change without a detectable difference in ride height.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
I understand they can go "bad" as evidenced by a difference in ride height. But if the ride height has not changed, can they still go bad. In other words, are you saying that spring rate will change without a detectable difference in ride height.
Yes. Ride height is observed in an unloaded state, the spring is being asked to do the least amount of work possible. Load up a car in the corner and whatever wear the spring has experienced now becomes more pronounced. What appears to working in the garage may not be working as intended on track.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:45 PM
spare tire
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Springs do wear out and need replacement. As for when, that is up to you. Think about a wind up spring on an overhead garage door. When it is new the garage door's weight is offset by the spring. You can raise the door to the half way point and it will stay there or to the 3/4 point and the door will stay there. Now one year later most of the weight of the door will be lifted but the garage door will not stay half open. You must wind the spring a few turns to gain the old balance.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:13 PM
NoQuarter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I spoke with my boss (who is a professor of metallurgy) and she told me that the issue with springs, especially in heat environments, is that eventually the durometer (hardness) of the metal begins to degrade over time. She couldn't describe the rate of decay as a function without more information, but she did say that performance would probably degrade first, followed by static compression/height.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:47 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

John:
Do you still have the original 964 Cup springs in your car? I would think that Dan Jacobs, Spencer ***, or one of the other Porsche shops up there have a coil spring tester, or access to one. Pull your shocks, remove the springs and have them tested.

I have been told over the years that coil springs do lose some of there rate, but nut sure what the percentage is.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:04 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't even start thinking about your valve springs...that will keep you up at night...
Old 02-09-2012, 06:27 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carrera51
John:
Do you still have the original 964 Cup springs in your car? I would think that Dan Jacobs, Spencer ***, or one of the other Porsche shops up there have a coil spring tester, or access to one. Pull your shocks, remove the springs and have them tested.

I have been told over the years that coil springs do lose some of there rate, but nut sure what the percentage is.
I threw out a poorly framed question. What I really wanted to know was about a qualilty car spring such as an OEM Porsche spring or an older
Cup spring such as mine (they have not been replaced). Last year, I was told that springs do not, as a practical matter, wear out. They wil break first. Theoretically, I guess, the spring rate can change. And yes, if you have a Taurus or the like, it can get droopy. The posts here seem to confirm that. But I know from studying metallurgy for over two years that not all metal is the same. (Unfortunately spring rate was not what I focused on.) Its properties are highly dependent on its method of manufacture. And I have no idea how the metal in car springs (mine specifically) is manufactured.

The short answer, as you point out, is to have the springs tested. But I was looking for a scientific explanation of what occurs over time to a qualitiy car spring that does not appear to have undergone any noticeable change.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

All metals have an endurance limit. Typically you would design for a life of 10^7 cycles. There is no "infinite design life."

Quick Reply: Do springs wear out?