Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LSR Club Race at TWS - March 16-18

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Horus2000
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I did my rookie race there last year. But, I had done one DE there prior although I don't think it necessarily helped too much
You'll just want to get an instructor with you on Thursday that knows the track. There are a couple of tricky corners, primarily 1-2. But it's a blast and I found it to be relatively easy to learn. By far my favorite in this area.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you'll see the full squadron of TX Spec Boxsters, including a couple of new cars.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by Horus2000
You'll just want to get an instructor with you on Thursday that knows the track.
Thursday's 1/2 day is open track, not instructed. I am coaching one racer that afternoon, not sure if he'd be interested in sharing me for a few laps with another racer who perhaps doesn't know the track, but I can ask if anybody needs some TWS guidance.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:23 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

There's some heavy iron and hot shoes signed up already. The pace for the overall win is going to be high, and given good weather, there might even be a chance for a new PCA track record. Paging Chris Cervelli....
Old 01-31-2012, 09:29 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
There's some heavy iron and hot shoes signed up already. The pace for the overall win is going to be high, and given good weather, there might even be a chance for a new PCA track record. Paging Chris Cervelli....
PCA track records WILL fall this year as long as it's dry. They will also fall in Spec 996 !
It's nice to have a few horses running in PCA this year.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:36 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
I would really like to see you come down to TWS, and I hate to talk you out of it, but I honestly would do my first race on a track that I knew well. Others will no doubt disagree with me within the next 30 seconds or so...
I agree with Mike on this, and have preached this to many drivers. Your first race should be on your home track.
Reason - When you do your first race you are faced with so many new things at the same time that the last thing you want to do is to also have to be learning a new track. Make your first at a track that you know very well so it comes second nature to you. You will still be surprised when you miss a shift, miss an apex, etc on your home track.

Now, I am not saying don't come, by all means come on down and join the fun. Do the DE,learn the track for next year,watch the races and learn their race tactics/strategy, get the initial log book done on your car, the techs will be there anyway and that way if something is wrong to not get the log book you can get it fixed before you race at Hallett or HPT.

See you there !
Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 PM
Coco_951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kai – make TWS your rookie race. It’s an easy track to negotiate at 8 even 9 tenths. And if you do the Thursday afternoon it’s a very long weekend of driving. You’ll have 4 races under your belt and be done with rookie driving and then you can focus on “racing” the rest of the year.
Globe – do you really think the super fast records will fall? The only reason I would disagree is that the track is not getting better. Most of the super fast times happened many years ago when the track was in arguably better shape. The cars have been pushing new limits in the letter cars and what not but I’m not sure if we will see anything going sub 1:44. Although I do agree that the machinery is going to be there that can easy surpass that time I don’t know if the track knowledge will be there to accomplish it. Taking TWS from 9 tenths to 10 tenths is tough and mastering turns 1-2, and 7 at the speeds that need to happen to get sub 44 isn’t for the faint of heart.
I’m signed up but it is wishful thinking in part. My engine is still at the spa of PMNA and I think I’ll have plenty of other issues to work out once I see my car again(probably 1st practice Friday morning of race weekend if I’m lucky). I never had a working car last year down there so I certainly hope for improvement this year.
TWS is such a great track! Most tracks have 1 (the Kink at Road America, turn 12 at Road Atlanta, etc.) corners that even after 1000 laps can done properly make for a code brown moment but I think TWS truly has 2 of those. As always, the letter car guys are praying for rain and we’re praying for lots of sunshine.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:37 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

While the facilities aren't in great shape, the track surface isn't all that bad in my opinion. Buckley did a 53 in an E car last year, which is pretty remarkable. I have to think a 43 is there for the right guy in a 7 or maybe even a well sorted 6-Cup.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

I don't think it's his first rodeo. Just his first one in 25 years....
Old 02-01-2012, 01:00 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coco_951
Globe – do you really think the super fast records will fall?
Not Globe, but what really fast TWS PCA records are there currently ? From what I've seen there should be a few class records that should be lower than what they are.
Just my opinion, and I don't claim to know it all, as a matter a fact with my limited PCA Club race experience I could be totally off.
Maybe I am wrong, maybe not, guess time will tell.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:03 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I don't think it's his first rodeo. Just his first one in 25 years....
I don't know Kai at all so I can't judge that.
I just have seen too many guys bobble it when a car spins, or taps them, or just get overwhelmed at the start in the middle of the pack, so my recommendation is to always do your first race at your home track to allow as many things as possible to just be second nature so your brain can have leftover bandwidth to deal with all the other things that will be thrown at you.

Just my opinion and experiences watching a few drivers over the years.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've always said first trip down into Texas, I'd put a nose and moustache on the car so nobody recognizes us.

Oddly, I feel absolutely no pressure from within, and I'm comfortable with myself in the car (I should also have one Hallett COMMA race weekend in the bag by then)...the pressure is almost "social" in the sense that this is the crew I've been following, the one I've met (for the most part) and the one I'll be racing for quite some time.

I feel the need to stay in front of three prepared H cars I know, as well as a few Spec 996s, and do as well as I can in GT4...this may not be the weekend, or the track to try it. I really do like the idea of doing up the log book and having a bit of DE fun; this would resolve any pressure, and cut a day off of the trip.

Viking, PM sent on another (NASA) issue.

Thanks all, I'll see ya'll one way or the other. KB
Old 02-01-2012, 08:44 AM
TRT41
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

In, so looking forward to the first race.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
I feel the need to stay in front of three prepared H cars I know, as well as a few Spec 996s, and do as well as I can in GT4...this may not be the weekend, or the track to try it.
Ah.

For this reason specifically, I would concur with Viking. This is not IMO a fair goal for a rookie weekend, but I understand it.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Ah.

For this reason specifically, I would concur with Viking. This is not IMO a fair goal for a rookie weekend, but I understand it.
+ $15,000

Quick Reply: LSR Club Race at TWS - March 16-18