Sponsored by:

Helmet opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:00 PM
AGO
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Helmet opinion

I'm about to buy a helmet, I've been borrowing one for the few events I did but decided not to keep sharing my sweat.

Considering an open face vs closed. As I won't be tracking that often (maybe 4 to 6 times/yr) I was not looking to spend a lot of money, and about to be buying the open face but then had second thoughts.

Pros/Cons of open/closed face? I was thinking on the Bell Sport Mag (open) or the Bell Sport (closed). Anybody uses these? Experience to share? Would it be justifiable to go for a more expensive version like the Vortex GT or GTX 2? Weight diff does not seem to be too big.

Any help / insights is appreciated.

PS: I drive a 997.2 GT3
Old 01-12-2012, 09:38 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Since your car has an airbag, then an open one is probably OK.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you pay the extra money for full protection, and you don't need it, then you win. If you save a few bucks and needed the full protection, then you lose.

Another benefit of full face is fire protection (although I suspect you're not going full nomex either).

And open faced helmets look really dorky. ;-)
Old 01-12-2012, 10:03 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Many pro rally drivers use open face helmets. My GT3 has an airbag, and I use a full face helmet also, FWIW.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:07 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 68 Posts

My vote would be full face, it is safer. The cost differences are meaningless within the scope of costs involved in this hobby. I have only bought one helmet but had it fit by a pro and have heard many times that you want to try the helmet on and make sure that it fits you ideally with the help of someone who has fit many helmets. I have never felt uncomfortable in my helmet, I don't think I have ever once given a thought to my helmet on the track - point being I don't think you will ever wish you had the open face if you go with the closed.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:12 PM
LUV2SPEED2
Advanced

Something else to consider, There are tracks that do not allow open face . For example NJMP
Old 01-13-2012, 12:00 AM
acao
Racer

On track, I've had a gumball/marble come in through the open driver's window and smack me right in the visor.

I've gone off track and kicked up alot of dust.

I've lapped on very wet track days.

I used to wear contact lenses (thank goodness for lasik).

These are all experiences which would've been much worse with an open face helmet.

I'm in Houston too, and the heat hasn't been a factor. I've never experienced any fogging in cold.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:39 AM
buckwheat987
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LUV2SPEED2
Something else to consider, There are tracks that do not allow open face . For example NJMP
NJMP had that rule in effect for about 2 weeks last year and then it was changed back allowing open face helmets.

Although I have not heard yet if the rule is back for 2012.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 172 Posts

Full face more protection and can build in earphones and mic for DE track/pitwall conversations w/o fitting a head set boom for the mic after placing on an open face helmet.

Of late I have see rally drivers (in videos) wearing semi full face, boom is built into chin bar that covers 3/4 of the chin area. Like DE, rally guys need to talk with passenger. Open face would help if no chatterbox, but I think all DE events seem to use them.

It's your head and face, go for as much protection as you can.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:41 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by acao
I'm in Houston too, and the heat hasn't been a factor. I've never experienced any ... cold.
Fixed it.

+1 on full face.

Tom
Old 01-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Ricky Boo-Boo Johnson
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
Since your car has an airbag, then an open one is probably OK.
Not sure that an open face is the right choice with an airbag. I have heard that the airbag goes into the face opening and can possibly do more damage.

I am a big proponent of closed face helmets with a large eyeport. Rocks, sand, gravel - all sorts of things come in through the side window. The safety net is only meant to stop large items and from your appendages from going out the window.

You can always drive with the faceplate slightly open or all the way open if there is no traffic.

But like my medical insurance - I always buy the best I can afford, just like I do with my helmets.

Ricky
Old 01-13-2012, 11:39 AM
OGRacing
Addict Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AGO
I'm about to buy a helmet, I've been borrowing one for the few events I did but decided not to keep sharing my sweat.

Considering an open face vs closed. As I won't be tracking that often (maybe 4 to 6 times/yr) I was not looking to spend a lot of money, and about to be buying the open face but then had second thoughts.

Pros/Cons of open/closed face? I was thinking on the Bell Sport Mag (open) or the Bell Sport (closed). Anybody uses these? Experience to share? Would it be justifiable to go for a more expensive version like the Vortex GT or GTX 2? Weight diff does not seem to be too big.

Any help / insights is appreciated.

PS: I drive a 997.2 GT3
FULL FACE FULL FACE FULL FACE.

For all the reasons already stated and more. Reason 17, small deer bounds across track and is hit in mid jump. Deer is cut in half. Half goes over car, other half hits instructor who is wearing open face helmet. A couple surgeries later instructor is OK. Deer on the track, something that Drivers at SP watch for.

Bill
info@ogracing.com

Sparco's Largest Distributor for 28 Years
PFC Distributor for 27 Years
Pagid, Alpinestars, MOMO, OMP, Hawk, Bell, Aim, G-Force, HJC,
HANS, Arai, Simpson, Brey Krause, Longacre, CoolShirt!
Supplying Track Junkies for 34 Years.

PCA Club Racing - National Sponsor Since 1998

A Veteran Owned Business

Check out our blog!

Old 01-13-2012, 11:57 AM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Don't buy anything! Continue to borrow one. It makes it harder to go to track days that way. If you buy a new helmet you'll want to do more track days so you'll "get your money's worth". It's a slippery slope from there. Full Face.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:33 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fll face and I use the Green 20/50...
Old 01-13-2012, 02:04 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

What about that SCCA bulletin from 5-6 years ago saying that full face helmets with airbags could cause a jaw fracture? Was that debunked? I still run a full face in my airbag car, but I always wondered...

Quick Reply: Helmet opinion