Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Another) tow vehicle question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:04 AM
jittsl
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of the choices mentioned I would definitely go for the Q7 TDi but since you were considering petrol power why not the Cayenne? Both of mine have been used almost exclusively for towing a similar rig to the one you describe and I love every aspect of their towing and touring ability with the possible exception of fuel consumption. Both of mine were V8s and the best I get is 13-14mpg on the highway with trailer and tools.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:22 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by jittsl
Of the choices mentioned I would definitely go for the Q7 TDi but since you were considering petrol power why not the Cayenne? Both of mine have been used almost exclusively for towing a similar rig to the one you describe and I love every aspect of their towing and touring ability with the possible exception of fuel consumption. Both of mine were V8s and the best I get is 13-14mpg on the highway with trailer and tools.
I love the cayenne - but i'm trying to protect me from myself. let's just say i'm too familiar with porsche's options list LOL. It'll cost me 80K when i'm done with it.

what's the saying about knowing you have a problem?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:57 PM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron Cohn
I am towing a similar setup with a new Dodge Durango RT with 7400# towing capacity, similar to the Jeep. I bought the Dodge because I needed the 3rd seat row. It gets the job done and the (non-towing) on road mileage is not bad at 19-20. Around town it is much less.

I am hoping that the Durango will also get the diesel next year.

Ditto on the new Durango R/T. Tows my trailex and Cayman well and is not a bad DD. Stable as well since the wheelbase is long plus trailer stability and air suspension to boot. Also has oil temp, pressure and tranny temp gauges which come in handy when towing. My wife has the GL450 and I think I like the handling of the R/T better. Crazy deals at model year end last Fall. Hemi pulls nicely and has cylinder cutoff on highway so mileage is not bad for a 5.7L when not towing. Have every feature you would imagine as well including heated seats for the kids in the back. Was toying with the idea of a T-reg diesel but i liked the R/T package better and also much cheaper (15k). Tank is also decent size so range even when towing is good. Only had to stop once to get down to VIR (500 mile trip). Only negative is that the OEM wheels make it look like a minivan...took care of that within the first month with a new set of rims
Attached Images    
Old 01-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

mos96tt: Strange, I have the towing package but do not have all the gauges you mention, plus the air ride. Mine might be a year older. I would still welcome the diesel, but I agree with your assessment of the R/T. It is a lot of truck for the money.

Will you be racing your Cayman in the NE?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:36 AM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Ron...the oil, tranny, coolant readout is in the center message display. You can select from the left side of steering wheel and display tire pressure, trip, fuel economy, speed, and vehicle info (i think). Vehicle info then gives you coolant, oil temp, oil pressure and tranny temp (and total hours).

I built the Cayman last year but couldn't find the precious weekend time to do a race. Plan on doing one or 2 this year, i hope...family and work commitments usually get in the way
Old 01-10-2012, 12:21 PM
Ron Cohn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks. That is great. Have to check it out.

Where do you normally drive the Cayman?
Old 01-10-2012, 01:45 PM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

X5 diesel?
Old 01-10-2012, 02:40 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Skip the baby steps and go for it.

Beautiful, low-mile toter for sale. 16’ Box on Freightliner Columbia chassis with a 450 hp/1550 ft/lbs Mecedes diesel. 12 speed auto-manual transmission. Uprated hitch with 40,000 lbs capacity. Full slide construction on box for spacious interior, heat and a/c, surround sound entertainment center, custom pneumatic auto levelers.

Comes complete with a 2006 40’ Renegade stacker trailer, with liftgate setup. This trailer is fully set up to go racing tomorrow (ran the Cobb Tuning Motorsports national program last year). 40’ x 18’ awning w/ sides. Trailer is fully outfitted with E-Track for easy loading, hospitality refrigerator for keeping the team happy, air compressor to keep tires full, extra cabinets to keep things stored. Two tire racks, pit stand included in sale.

Asking Price: $165k for complete package

You know you want it....
Old 01-10-2012, 02:56 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
Skip the baby steps and go for it.

Beautiful, low-mile toter for sale. 16’ Box on Freightliner Columbia chassis with a 450 hp/1550 ft/lbs Mecedes diesel. 12 speed auto-manual transmission. Uprated hitch with 40,000 lbs capacity. Full slide construction on box for spacious interior, heat and a/c, surround sound entertainment center, custom pneumatic auto levelers.

Comes complete with a 2006 40’ Renegade stacker trailer, with liftgate setup. This trailer is fully set up to go racing tomorrow (ran the Cobb Tuning Motorsports national program last year). 40’ x 18’ awning w/ sides. Trailer is fully outfitted with E-Track for easy loading, hospitality refrigerator for keeping the team happy, air compressor to keep tires full, extra cabinets to keep things stored. Two tire racks, pit stand included in sale.

Asking Price: $165k for complete package

You know you want it....
Well, at least I know I could live in it, which is where i'd be if I ever brought this home LOL.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:13 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I have towed basically what is described - one car on a one car trailer with a few different cars.

A 2001 MDX (Broke a transmission each time I did it, which was twice). Under 30mph it was fine, but over 30 it was too much of a nightmare.

A 1995 Chevy Tahoe. I guess it was okay. Alot of sway probably from the big beefy tires the truck had. Completely underpowered.

A diesel 1990s Dodge Ram 2500. Well, I don't even remember the difference between towing and not towing. It basically felt the same other than braking distances.

I now am grateful and happy to have a 2004 Yukon XL 2500 with autoride. I just towed a 3500 pound car with a trailer that was supposed to be about 2k pounds. It was simply pleasant. Perfect control. Acceleration was almost the same as when it was pulling nothing at all. The 8.1L will do that I guess.

I've come to the conclusion that a smaller truck just isn't worth it.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:40 AM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Here's a classic setup

Amazing where we have gone with the setups we all carry around.

Pretty cool to see the old school, and here's my new to me 24' TPD Vortech which tows really nicely. Can't wait to get to the track more this year.
Attached Images    
Old 01-11-2012, 03:38 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Get a real tow vehicle. An F250 or one of the 2500s, with a crew cab and short bed. Put some out of state plates on it and the people in lower Manhatten will be getting out of the way.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:32 AM
jittsl
Racer

I love the photo of the Kombi towing. Just proves what I have often thought, that we have all gone insane in the US. While we think we need 500hp to do a job there is a European proving you can do it with 50. I wish I had this photo in hand when I was recently arguing with someone who was arguing that my Cayenne was nowhere near big enough, heavy enough or powerful enough to tow a race car safely.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, but a 906 on simple trailer like that is what under 2500lbs total. 1800 for the car and 700 for the trailer? Big difference when the lightest Porsche's these days are 3000lbs on the showroom floor.

Look I used to tow my 944 (stripped to 2400lbs) on a open steel trailer behind my 4.0L Jeep Cherokee. I did it, but even a short 50 mile tow was work. The motor was barely adequate and the chassis barely adequate. I moved to 2500 dodge V10. This was overkill for this trailer and car, but made towing much easier. Plus I could carry more stuff with me. Stuff like spare parts, tools and shade at the track.

I then moved to an enclosed 24ft trailer and it just so much nicer. Now it does sort of force the need for the 2500 dodge, but given the choice I would not go back to open trailer or small suv. If I had to I would, but would need to get used to bringing alot less stuff.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 AM
mos996tt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ron Cohn
Thanks. That is great. Have to check it out.

Where do you normally drive the Cayman?
Hope you can find the engine monitors on the display...I think all the R/T's came that way.

I am an NNJR guy...usually at NJMP, WGI, VIR and sometimes Mid OH. Try to get a mix of advanced days and regular DEs since I do enjoy instructing as well. No more LRP for me in this car as my race exhaust is way too loud. Will try to do the WGI and/or NJMP club race this season.

Quick Reply: (Another) tow vehicle question