Sponsored by:

(Another) tow vehicle question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 11:11 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
IMHO - Seriously, what would be wrong with just trying your wife's ML first? You seem to be well within the towing limits of the ML and as long as the tongue weight is right, you should be fine.

Granted, the Navigator/Suburban/P-up choices would be better all in tow vehicles, however you only have an open aluminum trailer and a light car. If the ML doesn't work, you can always take the bigger step to get an additional car.
Yeah, that's definitely an option.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:27 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by E55AMG
just got an open trailex to tow my 996 koni car. weight of trailer with tire rack and winch is 1084 lbs. Say car is 3000 lbs.

I'm looking for a tow vehicle but it will need to double as my wife's DD. She currently has an '05 MB ML500 which has a tow capacity of 5,000 lbs. which may be pushing things a bit.
The ML500 will tow the car and trailer around. I towed my 944 on a heavier trailer behind a 4.0L jeep Cherokee. The ML500 will do better than that. However the issue is if it will do well enough. If you have tow hitch on the ML then hook it up and give it a try. The issue is you will NEED a brake controller. Don't do it without one as you will not stop at all. You will have enough power to move the trailer ok, but the issue is chassis stability.

For me my Jeep was underpowered for the trailer, but survived. The issue was the chassis was just not up to it. For short 50 mile each way tows it marginal. Towing farther made me think I was going to kill that poor jeep. I did run a brake controller and even with it I one ran through stop light because I could not stop. Thankfully it was late at night there was nobody around. Shortly after that I got the 3/4 ton dodge and it was night and day. Towing is breeze now even with the 24ft enclosed trailer. I would have no issues tow my 24ft trailer any where with this dodge. It may not go up hills as fast as some new Diesels and needs alot of fuel, but it will tow anywhere without too much effort on my part.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:42 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
The issue is you will NEED a brake controller. Don't do it without one as you will not stop at all. You will have enough power to move the trailer ok, but the issue is chassis stability.
You will only need a brake controller if you have electric brakes on the trailer. You won't need one if your trailer has surge brakes.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:32 PM
sprintamx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My $0.02 on a new Ford F150 Ecoboost, since I've got one--a 2011 F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.5 ft bed with max tow (3.73 rear). Max tow capacity with the 4x4 on this set-up is 9800 lbs. I'm not even close to that with my steel open rig and car (996, basically in street form with minor stripping and safety equipment).

In short, it is an excellent vehicle in all respects--period. Terrific linear power curve (365 hp / 420 ft lbs); runs on 87 octane. It is extremely comfortable and quiet, with a very composed ride. It can be nicely optioned at a reasonable price (say around $35K out the door for mid-range trim: leather, heated seats, Sync, etc.) This truck has become our go-to vehicle for family trips. It's a great truck and a great car. I moved out of a 2004 Tahoe. Night and day difference on towing power, comfort and interior space--the Screw is huge inside.

So, to the extent you are looking and are feeling the itch to buy a new vehicle that can be focused more on towing than on compromise, give it a look. Having said that, other than it being a big vehicle, it's really no compromise when it comes to daily driving. Gas mileage is reasonable: 14 in true city driving; 20+ on the highway. And, I once got 19 mpg average towing a mid-size fiberglass boat + motor (large enough to have a small cabin).

Again, my $0.02.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Der ABT
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Towed with an 04 ML500 sport for the last 6 years, on an ATC open alum trailer (had a 22ft and a 24ft around 1000lbs) my car (2850) or my fathers former 996 gt3 (3200lbs ish) .... this is with extra wheels and equip either in the car or in the truck definately had nooo issues with hills or anything
Has over 160xxx on it now and still runs like a charm...its got a box frame and is more solid then the newer mls if you ask me.
In the US they are rated for 5000lb, but same truck in Europe they say towed 7500....

i had no sway control and never had a problem with sway even on 95 or 81 with trucks, longest trip with it was to Road Atlanta from DC...

as said above if you have a brake controller you are fine....actually you are better then fine....i would get 12-14 mpg towing the way i drive....Sisters truck had a stuck wastegate on the way back from Watkins one time so we couldnt go much over 55-60 literally and actually saw 18-20mpg while towing....18 up near watkins with the hills, and 20 near DC where its a bit flatter (calculated not by onboard computer)

id buy another ML in a heartbeat....just have an enclosed now and need more wheelbase.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
I did run a brake controller and even with it I one ran through stop light because I could not stop.
Sounds like you may not have had the controller properly adjusted. At the opposite end, an improperly adjusted controller can also cause trailer brakes to lock up at the slightest application of tow vehicle brakes. Takes some effort to get it just right.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:55 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
Sounds like you may not have had the controller properly adjusted.
More than just that. Due to tongue load the rear would sag and the front would lift up. Since I applied the brakes softly the controller would not really kick in. The front brakes on the jeep did not work really well either due to the loading and so while I pressed harder the truck and trailler did not stop. So alot of factors involved, but that is the kind of thing that happens when you tow at the limit of capacity.

When I moved to the 2500 dodge I could stop just fine with no trailer brakes. It was that much better.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:12 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the new Ford F150 Ecoboost

I picked up a 2011 FX4 Supercrew back in October specifically with Max Trailer Tow Package. The towing rating with that package is actually 11,300 lbs and raises the GCWR to 17100 lbs.

If you just have the 3.73 gears with the trailer prep then your GCWR is 15500 lbs and you can tow 9700lbs. Either way, these small v6 twin turbo motors pull amazingly well and keep the revs down low like a diesel.

Max Tow option gives you the extendable tow mirrors, integrated brake controller, increases the GCWR as well over the standard trailer tow prep.

Tows like a champ and has become the family favorite for long trips. I regularly average 22mpg on the highway. Towing my 22 foot enclosed trailer has averaged from 9mph to 12 depending on my foot and the terrain.

Originally Posted by sprintamx
My $0.02 on a new Ford F150 Ecoboost, since I've got one--a 2011 F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.5 ft bed with max tow (3.73 rear). Max tow capacity with the 4x4 on this set-up is 9800 lbs. I'm not even close to that with my steel open rig and car (996, basically in street form with minor stripping and safety equipment).

In short, it is an excellent vehicle in all respects--period. Terrific linear power curve (365 hp / 420 ft lbs); runs on 87 octane. It is extremely comfortable and quiet, with a very composed ride. It can be nicely optioned at a reasonable price (say around $35K out the door for mid-range trim: leather, heated seats, Sync, etc.) This truck has become our go-to vehicle for family trips. It's a great truck and a great car. I moved out of a 2004 Tahoe. Night and day difference on towing power, comfort and interior space--the Screw is huge inside.

So, to the extent you are looking and are feeling the itch to buy a new vehicle that can be focused more on towing than on compromise, give it a look. Having said that, other than it being a big vehicle, it's really no compromise when it comes to daily driving. Gas mileage is reasonable: 14 in true city driving; 20+ on the highway. And, I once got 19 mpg average towing a mid-size fiberglass boat + motor (large enough to have a small cabin).

Again, my $0.02.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 03-08-2012 at 10:07 PM.

Quick Reply: (Another) tow vehicle question