Sponsored by:

GT1 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 12:03 PM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Jeez for a moment there I thought you were my first wife.....
bahahahahahaha!
Old 05-23-2012, 07:00 AM
hutan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deleted

Last edited by hutan; 05-23-2012 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:51 AM
hutan
3rd Gear

deleted
Old 05-23-2012, 09:38 AM
tomburdge
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
negative. 3 variants. 993s, 2 road cars, 24ish race cars...... 996 24ish road cars, 24ish race cars...and the 996 Evoluzion (evo).i think thats what they were called.

but in the 993 variant, only 2 ever. both cars are highlighted in the Def Efolgstyp 911 GT1. 3 volume book, a nice 120 color pages. each volume pretty much covered each model of the car. the #25 and #26 taht raced and did so well at leman were 993 version.

Perhas you can shed some light on a GT1 I encountered @ Mosport.
Years ago , I was up there doing an open test day prior to a SCCA National.
So there I am on the track with my lowly 2.0 4cyl 914 and I'm headed down the back stretch when I see this car flash its lights coming out of Moss Corner.
Now I remember being failrly well down the back straight when this happened, but before I got to the right hander this Olive drab green(butt ugly color) GT1 passed me like I had thrown out an anchor.
Later on I asked about the car and was told it belonged to someone they referred to as the "million $$$ a day man" as he apparently had the world wide patent on serpentine belts (or something like that).
I think I recall the driver had several "offs" tnat day which is probably not hard to do if you have more money than talent.
Can you add anything further,( not to my story) but rather about the car or the owner.I think he was Canadian.
Tom B.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Instructor

All i can say is that, I owned the second 993 GT1 Strass. taht said, totally ridiculously awsome machine. for me, it was just too much. i just enjoy pounding cars too much and tht thing was the rarest of the rare.

here is a link to some photos i just loaded.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tradema...7629847517312/

Thanks for sharing your information and pictures. I can only imagine how stressful it must have been to drive. I have loved these cars from the beginning and have always felt the 993 version was the best aesthetically.

Would you recommend the 1997 (volume 1) of the book by Ulrich Upietz? I should be receiving the second volume soon but have heard that the first one really covers the development of the GT1.

Warm regards
Old 05-23-2012, 11:28 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 917962
Thanks for sharing your information and pictures. I can only imagine how stressful it must have been to drive. I have loved these cars from the beginning and have always felt the 993 version was the best aesthetically.

Would you recommend the 1997 (volume 1) of the book by Ulrich Upietz? I should be receiving the second volume soon but have heard that the first one really covers the development of the GT1.

Warm regards
actually, it wasnt stressful to drive, i just didnt personally love the fit of the car. im 6 feet, thin, but i coudlnt fit well in the cockpit, and the toe box, the pedal layout wasnt great for heel toe action. and im a very competent heel toe guy, but it was just a nightmare. my helmet would knock against the rollcage. but at full song, taht car had crazy grip.

i have the upietz books, all 3. infact the #1 , for me atleast was the best. it talks about the genesis of the car, development.there are really neat photos and history of it in the mold, clay model state. a dn then you see the first 2 being built, they show infact my car in a few spots, etc. and then they go into how the 2 lead the way to the first 2 race 993 gt1 which went to 24leman etc. talks about how i thin it was the 26 car wrecked and then flew overnight back to germany, ripped the body parts off either my car or the other, flew back and i think took 1,2 in the race. very cool book.

though i could swear when i found mine it was near impossible to source. i finally was able to track down the author's son who happened to have 1,2 copies in his house or something like that if i recall properly.

great book.
Attached Images       
Attached Images
Old 05-23-2012, 11:50 AM
James Achard
Pro

What a wonderful car, thanks for the info. I crewed at Daytona in 2003 and Jennette was in the pit stall next to us in their GT1.

A shame the car is now in Dubai where it will probably never get driven in spirit and be locked up in someones warehouse...
Old 05-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Instructor

actually, it wasnt stressful to drive, i just didnt personally love the fit of the car. im 6 feet, thin, but i coudlnt fit well in the cockpit, and the toe box, the pedal layout wasnt great for heel toe action. and im a very competent heel toe guy, but it was just a nightmare. my helmet would knock against the rollcage. but at full song, taht car had crazy grip.

i have the upietz books, all 3. infact the #1 , for me atleast was the best. it talks about the genesis of the car, development.there are really neat photos and history of it in the mold, clay model state. a dn then you see the first 2 being built, they show infact my car in a few spots, etc. and then they go into how the 2 lead the way to the first 2 race 993 gt1 which went to 24leman etc. talks about how i thin it was the 26 car wrecked and then flew overnight back to germany, ripped the body parts off either my car or the other, flew back and i think took 1,2 in the race. very cool book.

though i could swear when i found mine it was near impossible to source. i finally was able to track down the author's son who happened to have 1,2 copies in his house or something like that if i recall properly.

great book.

Thanks again for going out of your way. It sounds like you made the right decision in selling it. Bravo for having the stones to use it as it was intended. I believe that I still have the issue of Excellence that covered your car. It was like a breath of fresh air seeing it on track.

I have found someone that has the 1st Upietz book but wasn't sure if it was worth the asking price of $90. Your description alone has put my doubt to rest. Have a good one!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:48 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 917962
Thanks again for going out of your way. It sounds like you made the right decision in selling it. Bravo for having the stones to use it as it was intended. I believe that I still have the issue of Excellence that covered your car. It was like a breath of fresh air seeing it on track.

I have found someone that has the 1st Upietz book but wasn't sure if it was worth the asking price of $90. Your description alone has put my doubt to rest. Have a good one!
$90, no brainer, push the BIN button. i think i paid closer to 200,300. its a very nice substantial color book. beautiful to look at, nice to read. great for the coffee table and if you like gt1 history, u have to own it.
regards,
Attached Images  
Old 05-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Instructor

$90, no brainer, push the BIN button. i think i paid closer to 200,300. its a very nice substantial color book. beautiful to look at, nice to read. great for the coffee table and if you like gt1 history, u have to own it.
regards,

Oh, I like GT1 history alright. I am now the happy owner of volumes 1 and 2. While this pales in comparison to owning the real thing, I'm happy. Now I just need #3!

People like yourself make rennlist a great community.

Quick Reply: GT1 for sale