Mounting GoPro inside windshield

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:44 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Mounting GoPro inside windshield

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you all who have mounted the GoPro on the inside of your windshield used the kit supplied big suction cup and the extra arm to position your camera inside the windshield? I tried to do this at my last trackday (Sebring) and it seemed shaky even though everything was tightened down to the point where I thought it would damage the plastic if I turned the ***** tighter. It seems a lot of people have shake-free video so maybe I'm doing something wrong or they're using a non-stock mount? I've attached a video of the camera mounted on TOP of the car, and you can see it gets pretty shaky at times (not to mention being tilted to the right.) Any tips? Thanks!

Matt
Old 11-30-2011, 12:12 AM
gvtesse
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've mounted mine with the suction cup before to the front/rear windshield. How many of the extensions are you using? Maybe too many of them is making the shaking worse?
Old 11-30-2011, 12:52 AM
MattUF
Racer

That's what I thought also, but I'm pretty sure I checked and if I take off one of the (2 I believe is all I'm using, one coming up from the base which goes in two directions 'forward and back' and another one attached 'side to side') arms, it doesn't have enough range of motion to aim outward when inside the windshield. Now that I think about it though, I could always take off that extra arm when running on the outside of the car.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:58 AM
gvtesse
Racer

Hmm..I think that's what I'm doing as well. I can't check right now since I let my friend borrow my gopro.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:42 AM
dacbap
Instructor

I ran mine on the windshield direct from the base and it was pretty solid, the extension arms have to much play for the movement on the windshield, especially at Sebring
Old 11-30-2011, 11:45 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,065 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Looks like it's loose in the case...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-30-2011, 03:12 PM
MattUF
Racer

It seems to be snug in the case as it doesn't rattle around when I mount it on my helmet and the case presses tight against the back when coming to a close. I honestly think it's the use of two arms but, without it in front of me, I can't imagine how to mount it facing out of the windshield without using both. I know the first time I mounted it on the windshield I did not lock the lever down, so maybe I should go back and re-read the manual to see if it mentions any tips/tricks? I'll have to ask someone next time I see them at the track if I can't figure it out tonight.

Matt
Old 11-30-2011, 04:18 PM
dacbap
Instructor

You have to mount the camera upside down, in the camera settings you can select up or upd, upd films upside down for right side up videos, then you can mount directly the camera to the suction cup mount.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:33 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Bingo!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:35 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Originally Posted by dacbap
You have to mount the camera upside down, in the camera settings you can select up or upd, upd films upside down for right side up videos, then you can mount directly the camera to the suction cup mount.
Originally Posted by Brinkley
Bingo!
+1

Originally Posted by MattUF
…I was wondering if you all who have mounted the GoPro on the inside of your windshield used the kit supplied big suction cup and the extra arm to position your camera inside the windshield…
I’ve done it without issue, in the top right corner of my 996 C4S. HTH

Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I've mounted my iPhone to my windshield to get video/data using Harry's Lap Timer for my last few events. There has been some vibration in my videos, but for the most part, it has been pretty stable. I usually make sure that the mount is very snug in the morning and check it throughout the day.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:40 PM
MattUF
Racer

Where's the dunce hat? I knew about the upside setting and all that (Sidenote: if any of you don't have the LCD back it helps a LOT when changing settings and knowing what's activated). Turns out I had one extra little arm that I didn't need. I'm positive this caused the shaking seen in the video above and what I saw in person when I had it mounted inside my windshield facing out. D'OH! Thanks guys, I knew it would be something simple like that, ha.

Matt
Old 12-01-2011, 11:03 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

my .$02 - I always prefer a view of the hands so you can see the steering inputs
Old 12-01-2011, 05:45 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use one arm now...stopped the bounce. I wish it could zoom by about 1.2x I see too much of the front seats and not enough windshield when mounted to back window. Would be perfect if I had a roll bar/cage to move it forward. So best video is still suction cup mounted to Front windshield, upside down.

I did find that putting a small piece of race tape over the power button stopped an occasional rattle that would occur at certain vibration frequencies.

I am also using GoPro with Harry's LapTimer Pro (HLTP) coupled with Dashware to merge the two.

Anyone using OBD2 wifi devices?
Old 12-01-2011, 05:54 PM
dacbap
Instructor

yea roll bar is about the best, you get a harness bar and mount it to that if a roll bar is out of the question?

Quick Reply: Mounting GoPro inside windshield