Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's official: Kimi will be back in F1 in 2012!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 12:17 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,379 Likes on 2,003 Posts

^^ It's not fun when your ox gets gored is it?
Old 12-08-2011, 12:38 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
You lost me there Pete...
Basically, nearly everyone here has their favorites. Some pull for Alonso, Schumacher, etc. Your guy is any Finnish driver, but particularly Kimi, you're quick to be critical of a 7 time WDC who is 43 years old, for example, but if anyone says anything about Kimi, we begin to see quotes from various F1 dignitaries -- not unlike a certain f1 pundit that is curiously missing from these discussions when anyone is critical of Alonso. This time, it's Kimi who is under the microscope.

It's all good Finn, it's nice having you participate again in F1 discussions. I didn't know the Kimi sabatical would mean you would leave as well.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Basically, nearly everyone here has their favorites. Some pull for Alonso, Schumacher, etc. Your guy is any Finnish driver, but particularly Kimi, you're quick to be critical of a 7 time WDC who is 43 years old, for example, but if anyone says anything about Kimi, we begin to see quotes from various F1 dignitaries -- not unlike a certain f1 pundit that is curiously missing from these discussions when anyone is critical of Alonso. This time, it's Kimi who is under the microscope.

It's all good Finn, it's nice having you participate again in F1 discussions. I didn't know the Kimi sabatical would mean you would leave as well.
Kimi's far from perfect like anyone else but I think many thinks he doesn't give good feedback because he's not talkative so hearing otherwise from people who worked with him is refreshing to those who haven't heard it before.
(I deleted my post btw as google gave me the answer, I did know what you meant but not the real translation).

By the way, as I've said, I fully understand Schumi is old and what it means to his speed. That in fact was my point in my latest criticism towards him, it seems he hasn't realized that or has but don't want to accept it. Which I fully understand also, I wouldn't want to give up F1 either if I was a driver.

I haven't been so much involved simply because there hasn't been anyone I've been rooting that much.
Well, I've been rooting for Vettel for past two years but it's different since he's not a fellow countrymen, I think us Finns have been spoiled a bit since we've had a contender (or close to it) driver in F1 for so long. I don't think that changes that much though since I share your thoughts about Lotus Renault team...
Old 12-08-2011, 01:05 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I can sense who you like Petu. Mika and Kimi.... Heikki less so. Hope it works out for Kimi. He is a good guy.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:35 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In fact, Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali justified his decision to replace Raikkonen with Alonso by contending that the Spanish driver is ‘better’ at development and motivating the team than the laconic Finn.

“Ferrari needs someone for the team similar to [Michael] Schumacher. [Raikkonen is] very fast, but also very closed. In a car that is capable of winning, he was and is perfect – but if the car needs to be developed and the team fired up, Alonso is better,” Domenicali told German publication Auto Bild

Hey Stefano, how does 4th place feel with the 'better' driver.

Schumacher, Raikkonen, Alonso .... which one of these 3 has yet to win a WDC driving for the fabled Prancing Horse?

Oh yes, I know, DV came SO SO close 2 years ago, losing by the slimmest of margins to Vettel ...
But of course, he is expected to have come so so close, since he is so much better than Massa.

Wait, what's that, Massa came SO SO close when he lost the WDC to Hamilton?
How can that be? Alonso is 10x the better driver than Massa.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc

Hey Stefano, how does 4th place feel with the 'better' driver.
Probably not bad, knowing that Kimi would not have done as well. And a damn sight better than late 2009 when the car was languishing at the back.

WTH is your problem man? I have yet to see you say anything positive about anyone.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm not Finnish, but I like KR anyway. Doesn't fit the mold (well maybe the Finnish mold).
Doesn't trifle with idle banter but when he does say something its short and to the point.

Last edited by Ritter v4.0; 12-09-2011 at 01:10 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:21 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

If DV were such a great driver he would have pulled out a win 2 years ago. He was close and just did not have that littel (uups. I spelled that like the guy who won) something extra that pushes winners over the top. Alonso got 4th instead of 5th because he is a better driver than Mark W.
If FA does not win the title next year, what will be the excuses used by the apologists then?

I'm happy to see Kimi back. Too bad he did not get a ride with one of the top 3 teams. Maybe he will use this year to get his groove back, then in 2013 he will be ready to move into MS's seat at MB.
LH and JB will stay at McL. Vettel will be paired with a quality #2. Ferrari will not pair a competitive driver with DV. Too much drama.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:38 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Turb-OH Brad
Probably not bad, knowing that Kimi would not have done as well. And a damn sight better than late 2009 when the car was languishing at the back.

WTH is your problem man? I have yet to see you say anything positive about anyone.
Yes, "not bad" is what you expect from "the best".
2nd in 2010 (Petrov's fault, I know), 4th in 2011 (team and wind tunnel's fault, I know).

I've been pissed off since Sato left F1 ...
Old 12-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Nice to have the mellow one back...

Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

^^^ If that doesn't get you pumped up, I don't know what will!!! THanks for posting
Old 12-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

From one who does not engage in the F1 debates, a few simplistic observations:

1) Alonso is a very good driver. His performance at Renault was outstanding.

2) Is it possible that his move to Ferrari was less about his alleged development skills and more about the truckload of sponsorship money he brought with him compliments of Santander? As far as I know, Kimi did not bring major dollars to the team - which all else being more or less equal would make Alonso very attractive.

3) Renault is capable of building a WDC car, if they want to, i.e., this is about money again. Their engineering ability is outstanding, but the question is whether the funds for development will be made available.

4) I'm glad to see Kimi back. He is a colorful character and a great driver.

5) I am a Vettel fan, not only is he a great driver, he is a nice guy. None of the spoiled brat antics that made me dislike Hamilton and Alonso.

Best,
Old 12-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

The problem with that is, Renault isn't Renault anymore. They don't have the money that they had before, because now they are majority owned by Genii capital and Lotus Cars UK.

Renault the car company is throwing their weight behind Red Bull.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,879 Likes on 970 Posts

Senna and Petrov out. Grosjean in.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:48 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Turb-OH Brad
The problem with that is, Renault isn't Renault anymore. They don't have the money that they had before, because now they are majority owned by Genii capital and Lotus Cars UK.

Renault the car company is throwing their weight behind Red Bull.
Until they are pushed aside for Infinity when the new engines are used.

Quick Reply: It's official: Kimi will be back in F1 in 2012!