Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's official: Kimi will be back in F1 in 2012!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
That only strengths my point. Heidfeld was an experienced, paid driver who was sacked midway through the season to save money. Petrov and Senna both brought money to the table. Kubica would/will not have that type of $$ behind him, but a really good driver. I don't know if Kimi will or not, I thought Kimi might be a better fit over there.

As low as Williams have sank, they still had a balance of experience in Rubens and a paid driver in Maldonado. Now with the Venezuelan congress balking at the $ Maldonado is sponsored by Chavez, it looks like he will lose his seat.

Williams has secured another year with a corporate team sponsor and I hope they can get back on with the program, but Patrick Head just announced he is leaving. Sam Michael left earlier this year and it looks shaky for Williams F1 at this time.

If Kimi's plan is to get the 2nd RBR seat or other seat after 2012 as Finn says, maybe this is his stepping stone.
One problem with all of that, Williams have supposedly sacked Rubens now that 2011 is over.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:47 AM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts

Paired with Petrov or Senna? Petrov did nothing the last half of the year and was often outqualified by Senna. Senna surprised me which is to say he is not too bad or that Petrov is average at best. The lineup should probably be Grosjean and Kimi. Grosjean is probably ready to tear it up after a fairly dominant year in GP2. If they keep Petrov I suspect that would be for the rubles he brings.

Barrichello is a great guy, sad to see him go if he is done. Rumor has it Sutil is done at Force India and that Trulli is done at Lotus, as he should be. I am rooting for a good home for Alguersuari (not HRT).
Old 11-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
...I wonder what Kimi really brings to the table in that respect. It is unfortunate that Kubica is out because he really was the complete driver, and it is apparent that they really do miss him.
Kimi is one of those drivers who can haul *** 100% on the limit and be consistent which is crucial for testing.
This has been mentioned by many engineers and other drivers (De LaRosa just recently).
Senna and Petrov can be fast at times but they sure ain't consistent so there aren't so much good feedback from them. Nick wasn't/isn't that consistent either but at least he has experience on how car should handle etc. so I'm sure his feedback was much better than Senna & Petrov's.

If Kubica isn't fit to come back, I agree they should ditch Petrov and instead bring in Grosjean.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:12 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

I'm glad Kimi is back, here's an interview:

Old 11-30-2011, 11:23 PM
the flyin' scotsman
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

now I know you folks have a good time on this forum ranting, raving, ji=oking et etc but where did you find that guy.........he looks so much like Kimi but of course this fella talks
Old 12-02-2011, 01:09 PM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

This is great news. My favorite F1 driver. Hopefully the Renault chassis will be more competitive next year.
Old 12-02-2011, 01:49 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

I wonder if Petrov will stay? Maybe some vodka sponsorship?

Former grand prix driver Jean Alesi says Kimi Raikkonen will be a boost for Lotus

Former grand prix driver Jean Alesi believes the Lotus Renault team will get a boost from the arrival of Kimi Raikkonen. The 2007 world champion has signed a two-year deal with the team and will return to grand prix action in 2012 after leaving the sport at the end of the 2009 season. Alesi believes the arrival of Raikkonen is great news for Renault, which will race under the Lotus name next year. "It's fantastic news," said Alesi, now working as an ambassador for Group Lotus. "Kimi has more natural speed than just about anyone who has ever raced a Grand Prix car, and if he's coming back it's because he wants to do it, he misses F1, and he believes he can do well. "He has had a short break, which was a little bit forced by Ferrari. I think he was fed up with the system and wanted to take time out, which I can totally understand. But now he's coming back, with Lotus, so it's really exciting.

Alesi expects Raikkonen to be able to get the maximum out of next year's car despite his absence from Formula 1. He added: "The great thing with Kimi is he extracts the maximum from a quick car. When the car was good at McLaren and Ferrari he was always winning. LRGP will expect him to extract the maximum from the Lotus as well." The Frenchman reckons that Raikkonen's natural speed will be a "very valuable" to help the team move forward. "F1 teams need a driver who will consistently set laptimes that are 100 per cent on the edge," he said. "That is what a driver of Kimi's caliber can do, to dance on the edge and never fall off. From that, the engineers get a baseline. "They understand the true speed of their car and can make changes accordingly. It eradicates any doubt. I expect Kimi will be a very valuable tool indeed. But I don't expect a lot of talking outside the car! I'm sure he hasn't changed a bit."
Old 12-02-2011, 01:51 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

More Kimi quotes ....

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topi...m-of-kimi.html
Old 12-02-2011, 02:39 PM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ltc
Fantastic! I can't wait for interviews with him, they were always the best.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Yep, the rumor is that Petrov is in, and Senna is out. Sad to see Senna kicked out of another team...He's good...
Old 12-02-2011, 05:39 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Petrov is rumoured to have the seat up until the inaugural F1 race in Russia ... After that ?
Old 12-03-2011, 02:10 AM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, you guys can quote me on this mid next season.......KR is D-O-N-E...............stick a fork in him, he was finished when he got sacked but now mysteriously he is going to deliver in a ham and egger team ?

It is even more laughable that he would be picked up by a top team when a seat opens............unless he brings a gazillion $$$ it ain't happening because he ain't bringing a gazillion $$$

LOL, he is a excellent testdriver and gives feedback what needs to be done, what dope are some of you guys smoking ? Him and Montoya are possible the worst in communicating with a engineer of the last decade.

Despite he drove for a TOP TEAM for 90 % of his first career he showed jack, won a WDC by default with the help of Massa . A WDC is a WDC but nevertheless he never delivered what his fan club thought he was capable of.

This hype reminds me of comebacking Ex champ fighters..........they usually get epic beat downs and the same will happen to KR and if some of you are looking for some interviews you have to get the Finnish channel 384 on the dish network where you can watch backmarkers interviewed at 3 AM.
Old 12-03-2011, 02:44 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Awesome!!
Attached Images  
Old 12-03-2011, 09:59 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,276 Likes on 1,934 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
Awesome!!
The ice man comith?????
Old 12-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
LOL, you guys can quote me on this mid next season.......KR is D-O-N-E...............stick a fork in him, he was finished when he got sacked but now mysteriously he is going to deliver in a ham and egger team ?

It is even more laughable that he would be picked up by a top team when a seat opens............unless he brings a gazillion $$$ it ain't happening because he ain't bringing a gazillion $$$

LOL, he is a excellent testdriver and gives feedback what needs to be done, what dope are some of you guys smoking ? Him and Montoya are possible the worst in communicating with a engineer of the last decade.

Despite he drove for a TOP TEAM for 90 % of his first career he showed jack, won a WDC by default with the help of Massa . A WDC is a WDC but nevertheless he never delivered what his fan club thought he was capable of.

This hype reminds me of comebacking Ex champ fighters..........they usually get epic beat downs and the same will happen to KR and if some of you are looking for some interviews you have to get the Finnish channel 384 on the dish network where you can watch backmarkers interviewed at 3 AM.
Wow, under what rock did our 2nd most favorite F1 expert come from? We've been missing your wisdom man.

Talking about Kimi's testing & feedback abilities, here's what Newey, Brawn, Dyer, Whitmarsh etc. think about it"
Rating Kimi Raikkonen’s technical ability

Obviously Domenicali praises Alonso but all the others who have worked with Kimi, have different opinion than our Rennlist experts.

Because of his monosyllabic nature towards the media, many outsiders tend to believe that Kimi Raikkonen is incapable of communicating effectively with his engineers in developing a car and therefore is lacking in technical ability.

Raikkonen left Ferrari at the end of the 2009 season after the remaining year of his contract was bought out by the team, making way for Fernando Alonso to take his seat in 2010.

In fact, Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali justified his decision to replace Raikkonen with Alonso by contending that the Spanish driver is ‘better’ at development and motivating the team than the laconic Finn.

“Ferrari needs someone for the team similar to [Michael] Schumacher. [Raikkonen is] very fast, but also very closed. In a car that is capable of winning, he was and is perfect – but if the car needs to be developed and the team fired up, Alonso is better,” Domenicali told German publication Auto Bild.

But what do other respected members of the F1 paddock think about Raikkonen? F1Zone.net collected quotes from team principals, engineers, drivers and journalists regarding the Finn’s communicative and technical abilities.

Most recently, while taking part in this year’s Race of Champions in Düsseldorf, Jenson Button admitted that he was surprised when he heard the news but was supportive of Raikkonen’s return to F1.

Button is quoted by Autosport as saying, “From what I’ve heard from the engineers at McLaren, he knows what he’s doing in terms of engineering and setting up the car.”

Adrian Newey, designer of the championship-winning Red Bull RB6 and RB7, had this to say about Raikkonen while they were both at McLaren: “Kimi and Mika [Hakkinen] have a similar way of reporting on a car’s behaviour. It’s economical in terms of vocabulary — they don’t waste words, let’s put it that way! — but the words they do use are very accurate. If Kimi makes a comment about the car, it’s worth taking notice of that comment, just as it was with Mika.”

BBC’s pitlane reporter, Ted Kravitz revealed that long after Raikkonen had left McLaren, “McLaren engineers still talk with wonder about Raikkonen’s consistent lap times. He was so good, they say, because he would come back to the pits, say what was wrong, they would fix it and he would go out and go faster. Simple.”

After Raikkonen clinched the 2007 world championship in the final round, former Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn, currently the team principal of Mercedes GP, said, “I was particularly pleased for Kimi because he struggled a little at the beginning to adapt to the new team, car and particularly the Bridgestone tyre characteristics. What impressed me was that he worked with his engineers, understood the issues, got on top of the situation and, importantly and in the style of Michael, he did it in a quiet way within the privacy of the team.”

Chris Dyer, Raikkonen’s championship winning race engineer at Ferrari, has said in the past, “He gives a very clear feeling of what the car is doing and he seems very sensitive to changes we make to the car so really you can’t ask for more than that.”

Raikkonen displayed some stunning performances in the latter half of the 2009 season after Ferrari halted development on the F60 to focus on the 2010 car.

According to F1 journalist James Allen, “His performances from July onwards in a car which Ferrari had stopped developing, were astonishing. Even the Ferrari engineers don’t fully understand how he managed to get some of the podiums he did based on the performance of his car, compared to the opposition.”

Autosport editor Jonathan Noble also reported, “One team insider suggested that, looking at the data, Raikkonen has once again been doing things in the cockpit of a very difficult car that they can hardly believe. He is going beyond what, theoretically, the F60 would be capable of in normal hands as though the Finn’s last great act of defiance is to prove to his former bosses that they were wrong.”

McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh has long been a big proponent of Raikkonen, having worked with the Finn at McLaren for five years from 2002-2006.

Whitmarsh tried to sign Raikkonen after he left Ferrari in 2009, saying, “He is not political, he is absolutely straightforward – what you see is what you get with Kimi – and on top of that everyone knows that he is a winning driver. I think he has been underestimated technically.”

In an interview earlier this year with German website Motorsport-total.com, Whitmarsh also said, “I am a Kimi fan and I have never made a secret of it. I think he is an underrated driver – not underrated in that sense because everyone knows how fast he is, but I think people don’t realize how smart he is and how good the technical feedback he can give to a team.”

By signing a former world champion, Lotus-Renault have signaled that they are serious about their future in the sport. Hopefully the partnership between Renault and Raikkonen, who has been so highly rated by the people who worked with him in the past, will be successful in the seasons ahead.

Quick Reply: It's official: Kimi will be back in F1 in 2012!