Sponsored by:

Safety...gone too far?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 12:10 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I see your point. However, it is a calculated risk, and in a DE the risk is IMO very very low.
Risk is just that tho. Remember, it's not if it will ever happen to you, it's when it will happen to you.
If you do this long enough it WILL happen to you, I guess I ran into my risk time limit a few months ago.

BTW - With short sleeve shirts, arm hair singes VERY fast ! Even if it's just a brief second. And that was at a DE.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

So what niche are you looking at getting?

I still don't see it.

Nomex shirts exist for 50 bucks from the value brands out there and can carry over to the next step in racing?

How much would your shirts cost? How do you get the customer to buy in to the idea? If it's not mandated it's not going to be used by a large % of the group.

Can you make them where they can be printed on? Sell them to regions as event shirts?

Where's the data on the FR cotton shirts that say they give you 3 seconds? That's the same as quoted by most Nomex mfrs for how much more time nomex undies gives a driversuit.

Right now I see it as a good idea that I wouldn't put into production as the market doesn't really exist.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:08 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by white924s
Not sure if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but what about some kind of FR pants that look like normal pants as well? Not sure if anything like this already exists, but I imagine there is a demographic out there that may be self-conscious about getting a full race suit to lap their local track in the street car they drove to the track or may not see the hassle of a one-piece suit as worth the marginal benefit at a DE. I think you might be able to find buyers if you sold clothing that offers the fire protection of a full Sparco suit without the fashion statement at a price point comparable to typical department store clothes.
Yeah, I thought about the pants, but not sure how regular denim holds up to the threat of a fire. The idea is not to wear the equivalent of a fire suit...that product is already out there. But, most people don't wear them mainly because of comfort and the heat. Going to do some testing with the denim and some FR ratings as well.

Originally Posted by Kurt R
If you want some fire protection and don't mind looking like a cop or janitor, check out some public safety clothing. Most everything is navy blue or tan. Topps Safety is one brand I can think of off the top of my head. http://www.toppssafetyapparel.com/nmx-hdnsnapfrnt.html
That's the issue...no one really wants to look like a dork and this clothing doesn't target motorsports. But, you're right, there is plenty out there that offers some protection, but you'll look like a plant safety manager driving around the track.

Originally Posted by TAI2
Look at www.FRdepot.com as they have lots "normal" looking FR clothing.
Yup. High quality stuff too. But, I'm not seeing it for motorsports.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 12-01-2011, 01:16 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
So what niche are you looking at getting?

I still don't see it.

Nomex shirts exist for 50 bucks from the value brands out there and can carry over to the next step in racing?

How much would your shirts cost? How do you get the customer to buy in to the idea? If it's not mandated it's not going to be used by a large % of the group.

Can you make them where they can be printed on? Sell them to regions as event shirts?

Where's the data on the FR cotton shirts that say they give you 3 seconds? That's the same as quoted by most Nomex mfrs for how much more time nomex undies gives a driversuit.

Right now I see it as a good idea that I wouldn't put into production as the market doesn't really exist.
It's simple really. The $50 nomex shirt not only looks like butt, it does a poor job of wicking away sweat. Most people that DE, that I've seen anyway, would subscribe to being safer, but don't want a heat stroke either.

You can print with ink that is fire retardant as well, but issues exist with cost...most of these DE coordinators are on a budget. So, jury is still out on that.

Talking with one of the largest manufacturers of nomex and FR cotton right now. Claim to be just as good as nomex with the rating. I have a meeting in Jan with them to substantiate and see if this is worth pursuing.

Since it is a new idea of sorts, I will have to make some and test market. Might be a total flop. But, as I've mentioned before, I just love motorsports. To do something that involves it is really good for me and worth the time, effort and investment to explore the idea. Even the Samaritan idea of it is cool. If I produced these shirts and prevented just one person from 3rd degree burns or worse, or brought the safety awareness up for everyone involved, it would certainly be worth it.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:34 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rog,
Let me start by saying I love the idea however, I see that some people are looking at this as a means to replace the "awesome" hand out shirts that we have all received at DEs. I think the problem there would be that the reason we get those shirts is driven solely by economics. I'm not sure that there's an event out there, DE or otherwise, that could afford to hand out such a nice piece of safety gear.
Best of luck with your project!!
Tim
Old 12-01-2011, 03:41 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by TIM COSTA
Hey Rog,
Let me start by saying I love the idea however, I see that some people are looking at this as a means to replace the "awesome" hand out shirts that we have all received at DEs. I think the problem there would be that the reason we get those shirts is driven solely by economics. I'm not sure that there's an event out there, DE or otherwise, that could afford to hand out such a nice piece of safety gear.
Best of luck with your project!!
Tim
Ha! Yeah no doubt. I have a lot of "test dummies" in the closet. Some of the ugliest shirts I've ever seen. Anyway, your point is a big one...can I make them affordable enough, look good enough and achieve the safety rating. We'll find out!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:25 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although we all know people will wear them while driving - I still like the idea of "better than nothing" for working the grid, corner workers, safety car and even "crew" in the pits. All of which usually wear a t-shirt, jeans or dickies...not Nomex.

I think that could be the sweet spot for this. If priced right - it would get some people to spend more than they would on a tee, but not as much as Nomex.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:57 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Although we all know people will wear them while driving - I still like the idea of "better than nothing" for working the grid, corner workers, safety car and even "crew" in the pits. All of which usually wear a t-shirt, jeans or dickies...not Nomex.

I think that could be the sweet spot for this. If priced right - it would get some people to spend more than they would on a tee, but not as much as Nomex.
Yeah, I'm with you on the workers...can't do enough for those guys. They work their butts off so we can have a little fun.

This thread has given me a lot of new ideas. Rennlist rocks!! It's the only forum I pay attention to and value the info given. You guys are terrific!
Old 12-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm all for the idea and hope you succeed...interesting project.

My understanding though is that FR cotton loses it's effectiveness over time with many washings, whereas Nomex does not unless it is contaminated with soap residue or oil etc. You might want to look into this...perhaps the technology has improved??
Old 12-02-2011, 12:11 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I'm all for the idea and hope you succeed...interesting project.

My understanding though is that FR cotton loses it's effectiveness over time with many washings, whereas Nomex does not unless it is contaminated with soap residue or oil etc. You might want to look into this...perhaps the technology has improved??
Thanks Leigh...love the avatar BTW. Old school FR cotton will def lose it fire retardant properties over time. But, the new stuff is guaranteed for the life of the garment. It does add to the cost of production though...won't be your $2 FR shirt made in Thailand.

Quick Reply: Safety...gone too far?