Sponsored by:

Safety...gone too far?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by ZBB0730
Do you wear one at every DE? I agree safety is necessary, but it's often 90+ degrees at our DE's and street cars usually don't have a cool shirt system. Of course, if we ever encountered a fire, everyone would wished they had a suit on. Overall, I'm looking at increasing the safety of the sport, even if just a little, with a product that most will wear and enjoy.
First two events, no. After that every time regardless of whether I'm running the RS or Cup. Fact is my RS is every bit as fast as my 996 Cup. Not uncommon to be seeing 150 at the end of longer straights in the RS. If something goes wrong at that speed I want as much protection as I can get.

If you're out there just tooling around in your C2S or whatever odds are probably low that you'll have to worry but that's not me.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Meh, not really.

It is MUCH easier to bail out of an uncaged street car than a fully caged race car.
Unless you're unconcious, in which case you're waiting on track support to get to you and pull you free....
Old 11-29-2011, 01:49 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CAM14
Here is an idea for you to expand your market too. Most corner workers wear some kind white shirt and painter paints. They typically do not have any kind of real personal safety equipment. A lightweight, long sleeve white FR shirt with a chest pocket which is at the lower end price scale would/should be well received in the world of corner workers. At the club race level, these guys/gales are neither buying Carbon-X nor NOMEX type of personal protection but I think there is a real need for something. Maybe you can fill that need?
Man, that's a great idea! Those guys are in the elements all day long and have little or no protection...the same guys that pull you out of a car that is on fire. I have tremendous respect and appreciation for our corner workers. Thanks!!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 11-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Nizer

Unless you're unconcious, in which case you're waiting on track support to get to you and pull you free....
I see your point. However, it is a calculated risk, and in a DE the risk is IMO very very low.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:49 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Long sleeved of course, watch for the liability of the whole deal...
Old 11-29-2011, 04:13 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Craig - RennStore.com
Long sleeved of course, watch for the liability of the whole deal...
Yes def so.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:00 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

What's wrong with the current solution of long sleeves shirts (which is normally worn under a nomex suit)? Too expensive? Just like helmets, I'm willing to pay more for increased safety.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:26 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mclaudio
What's wrong with the current solution of long sleeves shirts (which is normally worn under a nomex suit)? Too expensive? Just like helmets, I'm willing to pay more for increased safety.
A regular 100% cotton shirt doesn't offer much protection. In fact, some research I've seen says that it can actually catch fire and burn...not a good thing when it's on your body. I'm also going to test these theories myself before pursuing. Regular cotton under the suit should be ok I guess, presuming fire doesn't go through the suit. Overall, the more protection the better I would think. Thoughts?
Old 11-29-2011, 05:43 PM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

A regular 100% cotton shirt doesn't offer much protection. In fact, some research I've seen says that it can actually catch fire and burn...not a good thing when it's on your body. I'm also going to test these theories myself before pursuing. Regular cotton under the suit should be ok I guess, presuming fire doesn't go through the suit. Overall, the more protection the better I would think. Thoughts?
Sorry, I meant: what is wrong with the current solution of fire retardant long sleeve shirts?

Disclosure: I don't DE but I race. I don't generally prescribe to half-way in/half-way out i.e. using street cars for the track, compromising on safety, etc. Therefore, I'm not your target market. But I do appreciate a good product marketing exercise.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:47 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by mclaudio
Sorry, I meant: what is wrong with the current solution of fire retardant long sleeve shirts?

Disclosure: I don't DE but I race. I don't generally prescribe to half-way in/half-way out i.e. using street cars for the track, compromising on safety, etc. Therefore, I'm not your target market. But I do appreciate a good product marketing exercise.
Oh, nothing wrong with FR long sleeve shirts.

Curious...what do you use under your fire suit?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:45 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of FR cotton coveralls that I used during a few DEs. I could wear shorts and a t-shirt between sessions and pull on the janitor uniform for the track sessions. It was convenient and relatively cheap. So, yeah, I like the idea.

I looked on OG Racing and noticed that they sell a G-Force short sleeve shirt that is "flame retardant" but does not claim to be nomex. Interesting. A little text at the bottom of the page (which pops up whenever you look at underwear) says, Nomex Underwear should fit snugly underneath a driving suit."

http://www.ogracing.com/g-force-flam...ant-undershirt

Last edited by Potomac-Greg; 11-30-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:21 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Oh, nothing wrong with FR long sleeve shirts.

Curious...what do you use under your fire suit?
OMP or Sparco FR long sleeve shirt.
Old 11-30-2011, 12:38 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
I have a set of FR cotton coveralls that I used during a few DEs. I could wear shorts and a t-shirt between sessions and pull on the janitor uniform for the track sessions. It was convenient and relatively cheap. So, yeah, I like the idea.

I looked on OG Racing and noticed that they sell a G-Force short sleeve shirt that is "flame retardant" but does not claim to be nomex. Interesting. A little text at the bottom of the page (which pops up whenever you look at underwear) says, Nomex Underwear should fit snugly underneath a driving suit."

http://www.ogracing.com/g-force-flam...ant-undershirt
Thanks for the feedback! I looked at the link...didn't really give much info. And, I'm not sure that I like the idea in a short sleeve version...zero protection for the arms and pretty much kills the idea.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:41 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier in the thread, but what about some kind of FR pants that look like normal pants as well? Not sure if anything like this already exists, but I imagine there is a demographic out there that may be self-conscious about getting a full race suit to lap their local track in the street car they drove to the track or may not see the hassle of a one-piece suit as worth the marginal benefit at a DE. I think you might be able to find buyers if you sold clothing that offers the fire protection of a full Sparco suit without the fashion statement at a price point comparable to typical department store clothes.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:50 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

If you want some fire protection and don't mind looking like a cop or janitor, check out some public safety clothing. Most everything is navy blue or tan. Topps Safety is one brand I can think of off the top of my head. http://www.toppssafetyapparel.com/nmx-hdnsnapfrnt.html
Old 12-01-2011, 11:47 AM
TAI2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at www.FRdepot.com as they have lots "normal" looking FR clothing.

Quick Reply: Safety...gone too far?