Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 09:41 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Default PCA Specbox History? WTF...

Ok, I thought the specboxster platform was working out well until I saw this:

http://www.boxsterspecracing.org/

What the hell? I was trying to get as universal a platform as possible, what are all you guys that were running PCA spec box now doing?

Is NASA now common denomiator for class rules? POC? or runing PCA class rules and getting stomped? arg...

Old 11-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Werkstatt
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PCA 1
NASA 0
Old 11-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

J

I'm not the spokesman but it seems to me that PCA has taken the lead. There was an attempt to get everyone on the same page but it didn't work out. I'm not privy to the reasons why.

I do know that PCA has it's rules out and there are more cars built for PCA than Nasa. I also believe that the Nasa regions are being flexible but National has not committed to putting any rules changes in writing. That has some folks tweaked because the time, money and travel involved in a race weekend only to be told their PCA legal car is not legal for Nasa is a little off putting.

It seems to me that rather than be obstinate, Nasa, being a for profit enterprise, should make every reasonable attempt to work with PCA in the hopes of drawing from a much larger pool of SPB racers. If all the regions are allowing PCA cars in it would make sense that National will follow suit.

As of now, PCA allows either a square or staggered set up with RA1's. Nasa requires a staggered set up on R888's. Understanding the spec nature of the series, maintaining two set ups seems a needless expense where tires are concerned. I don't know of any other major differences.

Personally I'd very much like to have Nasa accept PCA's leadership on this as I can race with Nasa 30 minutes from my house once a month. I have to do way more traveling for PCA.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:30 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

It seemed to me that it was all heading in the right direction just a few months back, I have to admit I haven't been paying too much attention but this is silly.

I'll be running mostly with NASA since my PCA's club racing is non existant, but I was planning on making some road trips this next year.

So the fundamental question is where are all the cars/racers? seems that there is a large contingent in Texas, and Socal as well as the Northeast? What say you guys? I would think both NASA and PCA would be respectful of what the owners/racers wanted, can't believe they can be so far apart, or am I just naive
Old 11-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

The Mid-Atlantic is pretty small relative to SPB. NE and SE have much bigger fields but that means I gotta travel. Would like to see more of these cars in my area!

It is a shame this is happening but I believe it's temporary as the racers will vote with their wallets and when that happens the issues will get resolved pretty quick.

It's a great car to race, light, fun, peppy.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:01 PM
EPWilson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For context, in case the message posted there changes:

Originally Posted by boxsterspecracing.org
PCA has decided to not colloborate with any outside sanctioning bodies on the administration of the spec boxster class rules. For this reason we are shutting down the volunteer effort to maintain a spec boxster class that spans sanctioning bodies. To get more information on how the class will be supported in the future please contact your sanctioning body directly.

Nick Richards
Ex-National Administrator

A note to the drivers:
I've received numerous emails and phone calls. The root cause of this is the inability of the sanctioning bodies to play nice together. They are primarily incented to compete against each other so getting them to work together for the benefit of the drivers is somewhat of a foreign concept. If you feel the vision of having a class that gives drivers the broadest option to drive when and where they want I suggest you go to your sanctioning body and demand it. Else this will fragment into oblivion like so many other classes. We were so close in achieving something new and exciting - it's a shame to see it crumble.

Regards,
Nick...
Old 11-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
J

As of now, PCA allows either a square or staggered set up with RA1's. Nasa requires a staggered set up on R888's.
I thought it was the other way around as far as the RA1/R888's go. They should just allow square or staggered and both the RA1 or the R888... done.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Spec Box started with POC in 2007 and POC will continue to support our drivers as they choose to operate. I understand we will be working with our Nor Cal brethern in PRC's Spec Box class and look forward to coordinating our specs for 2012....
Old 11-20-2011, 11:13 PM
EPWilson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, too, thought the only major point of contention so far was tire choice and staggered versus square wheel setups.

I haven't been following the politics very closely lately, but I just checked the NASA 986 Spec forums and TexasSpec and don't really see any mention of this breakdown.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:39 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

I didn't think things were so far apart either. And yes I think racers will talk with their wallets, but this kind of crap works against building the field and fundamentally the value of everyones cars/builds...don't understand it at all. Just the same as the 944 sillyness...

So is my understanding correct that everyone is the same specs save for the issue of square/stagger? PCA, POC, PRC, NASA? More of what direction is everyone heading, I'm in the middle of a build and this isn't helping...
Old 11-21-2011, 12:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,753 Likes on 2,357 Posts

spec box is big in so cal and tx.
popular in nor cal but not as big.
rules? LMAO... you are killing me.
rules? i'll talk to you when i stop laughing next decade.

there is a reason why i specifically pick race cars that are NOT in any class and will never win in the class it's in... this way i can do as i wish and have fun.

did you ask about rules? hahahaha

there's only 2.5L now. wait until 2.7 gets in....
i say drive the cup.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Spec Boxster is alive and well in PCA. NASA it is still a recognized national class just not much participation. Us drivers will keep the rules in sync. "period".

Nutshell... Specboxster.org sold itself to NASA. Now part of NASA they went dark seldomly communicating with drivers for over a year and then came back trying to become the uber rulesmakers to span PCA. They tried to strong arm PCA to allow Specboxster.org to lead the rules for PCA. PCA politely declines. Leadership isn't granted or awarded.

The history, the dirty history.

March 2010 NASA acquired the rights to SpecBoxster.org. PCA at that time already had a Spec Boxster class and was leveraging the published rules. The org pretty much never communicated with the drivers. It was like prying teeth to get any info out of them. Everytime I inquired about something I got the answer... we made that decision back in xx. Me: where and when was that published. we will get back to you. no reply.

In 2011 amidst the whole Toyo R888 perceived shortage and lack of communication from specboxster.org we drivers come to learn that Bodine stepped down and Richards took over. Again no communication. In the coming months more crickets. The NASA forum for spec boxster is essentially "DEAD".

http://www.nasaproracing.com/2010/02...w-porsche.html

FWIW: I like NASA and am really dissapointed to see the NASA side of Spec Boxster flounder. I actually think it may help NASA now the Specboxster.org is out of the picture. I think it is time for NASA to let the driver's grass roots movement lead specboxster from within. We will see how that plays out.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
They should just allow square or staggered and both the RA1 or the R888... done.
^^ This

It seems simple doesn't it? Everyone wins. If the drivers decide that's the way to go then so it should be.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul 996
FWIW: I like NASA and am really dissapointed to see the NASA side of Spec Boxster flounder. I actually think it may help NASA now the Specboxster.org is out of the picture. I think it is time for NASA to let the driver's grass roots movement lead specboxster from within. We will see how that plays out.
Paul, I think you are right. We need to push Nasa to get on board. If all the regions are working with the drivers then what is National's point?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:54 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
They should just allow square or staggered and both the RA1 or the R888... done.
From the published PCA rule book. Both Square and staggered is allowed. My understanding is that at some point this year the PCA also allowed the RA1's to be used, though I don't see that in the rule book.

I. Any factory cast aluminum rims intended for a Boxster and matching the original offset are allowed; front wheels must
be at least 18.5 lbs. and rear wheels at least 20 lbs. Rear wheels must be 17 x 8.5 inch, 48-50 mm offset. Front wheels
may be either 17 x 7 inch, 55 mm offset, or the same size and offset as the rear wheels (17 x 8.5 inch, 48-50 mm offset)
J. Wheel spacers are allowed only for 17 x 8.5 inch front wheels for fender and fenderwell clearance.
K. Tires: Toyo R888 front 225/45-17 or 255/40-17; rear 255/40-17

Quick Reply: PCA Specbox History? WTF...