PCA Specbox History? WTF...

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 08:06 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
RA-1 can last a long time. I suspect that RA-1's on a boxster will last about as long as they do on a 944 spec which is some 25 heat cycles in competitive racing winning use. So that comes to around 2 sets of tires for a entire season. Maybe 3 if you run alot of races with lots of sessions.

R888's at least on the 944's lasted half that if you were lucky. We in 944 spec pushed hard to get out class back on the RA-1's as the R888 were not a good tire for us. Not enough life.

Hoosiers are are fast, but best case might last 10 heat cycles in top notch competitive use. Not good for what is supposed to budget cost controlled class.
The "spec" nature of the series is one of the reasons I moved out of the "stock" and GTS classes. My tire budget, my largest expense by far, is 1/3 of what it used to be. That argument has been put to bed. Let's not reopen it.

As for 888 vs RA1 it should be driver's choice as long as it's a Toyo. I found RA1 and 888 to both be OK in the dry. 888 was very very bad in the wet. Hoosiers they are not but having run Hoos for years I was surprised the Toyos were as good as they were. All thing being equal, Boyer is only 1 second off the E class record with only the one race weekend at SP. On 888's.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by winders
Haven't there been issues in this class with transmission and IMS failures? Has that put a damper on the enthusiasm a bit?

I wonder if the Spec911 is a better option overall.

Scott
I've not heard or had any issues there.

As J suggests, the SPB crowd should communicate. The best advocates are ourselves. If, for example, we decide to go to VIR with Nasa and we all talk before hand and agree we can run square staggered or whatever, the Nasa folks running the race are not going to turn us away. It's up to us and the rules will follow.

I'm not knocking Nasa. Our region, MA, is a blast. Chris has established a culture at his events that really makes the weekends fun. And the racing is great. His whole staff is part of it. I'm saying I really like going to Nasa race weekends as well as PCA and would like to see us work together at the racer level to sway things at the director level.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:19 PM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

No dog in this fight but why would a " for profit " organization like NASA **** off any racers ? Seems like ego is getting in the way of common sense to me.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:08 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
The price delta is completely different Scott and there's already a nationwide contingency of Spec Boxes. Your Spec 911 class is Nor Cal only. I loved seeing Gary Willard's build but I'll bet that cost $75k to complete. Good Spec Boxes can be found for $25k there days...
Gary Willard has a PRC GTL car which is not a Spec 911. The GTL class, which is the same class my race car is built to, has limitations on engine size, intake, exhaust, and requires a certain tire. Other than that, it's an open GT class.

I bet his car cost a lot more than $75K to complete. I know mine did.

Isn't the Spec 911 class a nationwide PCA class now? When I said better option, I was not considering initial investment.

Scott
Old 11-22-2011, 02:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

gary's car is way over 75k.
i looked into GTL. any GTL that i liked were 100k+
in fact, the spec 911's i liked are also over 100k, like the gray/yellow car. now that's a race car, or the blue car that VoB sr. drives.

BSR is cheap disposable compared to GTL and Spec 911.
maybe i should get another.

Scott, while IMS and engine and other parts may "die" in BSR, it's really cheap.
i lost a tranny, $3000 was all it took to get a junker box into my BSR. that's parts, labor and shipping.
engine, maybe <$4000.
they break, but they are cheap.
that keeps the group going.
i had 5 sets of wheels for my BSR. a set of used wheel is $500 (that's if you are stupid like me and overpaid).
i dont see many GTL/911 spec racers, even the super well funded have 5 sets of jong bloed wheels or god forbid, fuchs.

R888 is one of the main reason i got out of BSR. that tire should be outlawed. what a POS.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:10 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

Originally Posted by eric523
Since the tire shortage, our sanctioning body the POC, has allowed the use of any DOT tire. We ran the Hoosier R6 and Kumho V710 all year and it was amazing. The tires are so much better, lap times dropped about 2.5 seconds at each track. It doesn't really matter much cost wise IMO. The top guys run a new set each weekend either way. The Kumhos are less than $100 a set more than the Toyos and the Hoosiers are about $150 a set more.
I'm leaving the class before they put us back on those damn toyos...
that's the way to do it.
and those POSS9 should go too.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:51 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
that's the way to do it.
Yeah, but NASA has Toyo sponsorship and thus Spec Toyo tires, and SCCA sure seems to support Hoosier by having open tire DOT classes, and Spec Hoosier tires in SM.
I'm thinking there is some money going somewhere to someone. But, that is the American way, so be it.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:53 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 873 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
gary's car is way over 75k.
i looked into GTL. any GTL that i liked were 100k+
in fact, the spec 911's i liked are also over 100k, like the gray/yellow car. now that's a race car, or the blue car that VoB sr. drives.

BSR is cheap disposable compared to GTL and Spec 911.
maybe i should get another.
I hear you. I just can't get excited about Boxsters. Great cars to be sure. But I started watching Porsche racing in the late '60's and loved going to Riverside to see all manner of 911 race cars. My Mom bought a 911 when I was 15 years old. It's a 911 for me....

Scott
Old 11-22-2011, 09:14 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
My experience with the R888s is that you had to learn to drive them on the edge and never over it. ...

The initial feedback from several SPB racers is that the RA1 is very favorable in handling, feedback and actually better in laptimes (which surprised me). We will see on longevity, if equal to the R888 I would be happy.
When running R888's on my 944 spec it was similar in that you really had to manage the tires.

The RA-1's on 944 spec cars lasted twice as long as the R888 even when the R888 was babied. Lap timed were at best a wash. You can push the RA-1 harder achieve similar lap times.

In my opinion a single spec tire is key to cost contained spec series. If that is the Toyo RA-1 then great. A cleaner series will have spec tire size an no options either, but sometimes a compromise must be made.

Anyway the class will do well on RA-1s Great tire... Sad how far off the mark the R888 was (still is).
Old 11-22-2011, 10:12 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Couldn't agree with you more. A spec series is a spec series. I don't want any driver choices on something as major as the tire. I will be pretty dissapointed if we roll into 2012 and PCA or NASA are wishy washy about moving wholeheartily to the RA1.

I would of course expect a phase out period for the R888 but not a general "either/or" language in the rules.

Originally Posted by M758
You can push the RA-1 harder achieve similar lap times.

A cleaner series will have spec tire size an no options either, but sometimes a compromise must be made.

Anyway the class will do well on RA-1s Great tire... Sad how far off the mark the R888 was (still is).
Old 11-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Clem
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When are 2012 pca rules posted? Nov 1?

I am running an SPB - also in the "spec" camp, make a decision and be done with it.

That said, I would love to run R6s. Every car at a PCA race is on them but the SPBs.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not trying to start something. But what is stopping you? Put an E on the side of your car and have at it.

Originally Posted by Clem
When are 2012 pca rules posted? Nov 1?

I am running an SPB - also in the "spec" camp, make a decision and be done with it.

That said, I would love to run R6s. Every car at a PCA race is on them but the SPBs.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:20 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the RA1 is the perfect tire for SPB; it is significantly better than the R888, in my experience. R6 fall off noticeably after around 6 cycles, where the RA1 do not show the same deterioration. It is absolutely reasonable to expect to win two weekends on a set of RA1. To win, you will need a new set of Hoosiers every weekend.
If I could modify any part of the current spec, it would be to add LSD. It is certainly debatable, but I feel like I'm always driving around an unnecessary limitation. That has not really been up for debate, so I hope that doesn't open a new can of worms.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:37 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Autometrics
If I could modify any part of the current spec, it would be to add LSD. It is certainly debatable, but I feel like I'm always driving around an unnecessary limitation. That has not really been up for debate, so I hope that doesn't open a new can of worms.
I tried debating the LSD quite a bit this year to no avail. The slower cars don't feel they need it, which is understandable because they aren't driving hard enough to have to drive around it. I think the majority of the cars fall in that group, so the front runners have to do without. I've just elected to leave the class instead. To me, it sucks having built a great little car and platform that could be so much better with just a few minor changes.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:47 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Autometrics
Interesting view point. 944 spec allowed limited slip diffs, but mostly because despite being rare they were factory options. There as been some heat tossed the way of the series directors over allowing LSD's. The issue was the cost of these items not being inline with budget class.

Alot of the spec boxster creators where either involved or very familiar with 944 spec. I believe cost is the reason they went away from allowing the LSDs. Interstingly way back in 2002 when 944 spec was created LSD were seen as important becuase we wanted to make sure the cars were also fun to drive as well as affordable. Cheap is nice, but if the car was a dog why bother? So that is one reason (along with it being a factory option) we allowed LSDs. Looking back we may have been better off not allowing them. Hmm... Seems like at least some in boxster world wish they had them for fun factor.

Quick Reply: PCA Specbox History? WTF...