Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCA Specbox History? WTF...

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 08:52 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I see that the official SPB tire is the RA-1, good news for you guys eh?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:23 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Ninja. I don't know anyone who goes thru engines or transmissions as described above. Those who want to buy new tiires at every event will do that no matter what series they run.
In Texas, we see 20+ car fields in SPB on a regular basis. If engines and transmissions were failing at a high rate, it would be obvious. I don't see it happening.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:30 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Not to derail the discussion, but where is the best location for online discussions about specBox in general? PCA is DOA as far as I can tell, NASA site is quite...it would be nice to have one place to have this conversation across orgs...
Old 11-23-2011, 09:45 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

J,
Since most of the more "active" discussions about the series seem to happen on this site I think it would be great if Rennlist would give us our own forum right here.

Tim
Old 11-23-2011, 10:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I'll race anything, I vote for "Spec Golf Cart"

We all show up at a track like Daytona, or Mid Ohio where they have a golf cart rental company, seal the lids as they come out of the rental company so there is no playing with restrictors, etc, and then we race around the track !

Just think of the benefits, low cost, instead of 3 wide thru turn one we can probably go 6 wide ! Drafting ? They already come with those rubber bumpers, we won't even scratch the paint !
Time to man up: Spec Suburban

Originally Posted by eric523
Nope. Just really quick shifts with the standard shifter. I'm not claiming I'm not hard on the car, I'll admit to that. I'm just saying that the LSD would reduce the load on the trans, and could increase rear tire life as well.
Some folks who do "really quick shifts" actually don't time their shifts well with the clutch, and beat the hell out of the tranny as a result. Not saying that's you, but really quick shifts are not always a plus.

True, but during this season, we've had instances where 5 cars in an event went down with gearbox or shifter problems. I think it is obviously a weak link on the car.

I think my car could definitely be considered an outlier when you look at the numbers though. My specBox has proved itself to be the quickest car on the west coast coast this year, and I don't think any would argue against that. It certainly gets driven to limit and then some. If anyone is going to find the weak parts, I will, and I did.

It's not the fastest car out here because of horsepower. It's driven hard, shifted quick, has inside wheels spinning, and spends a lot of time curb surfing.
Also, perhaps a slightly different driving style that doesn't cause quite so much wheel spinning may also lengthen tranny life....

Originally Posted by Streak
Ninja. I don't know anyone who goes thru engines or transmissions as described above. Those who want to buy new tiires at every event will do that no matter what series they run.
Truth x2.

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I see that the official SPB tire is the RA-1, good news for you guys eh?
Easier to set up than the R888, that's for sure, and a much more reliable, consistent tire in race conditions.

Originally Posted by mglobe
In Texas, we see 20+ car fields in SPB on a regular basis. If engines and transmissions were failing at a high rate, it would be obvious. I don't see it happening.
Yup, even on the shorter tracks like MSR and Eagles Canyon...

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 11-23-2011 at 10:51 PM. Reason: typos
Old 11-24-2011, 12:28 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,654 Likes on 2,325 Posts

True, but during this season, we've had instances where 5 cars in an event went down with gearbox or shifter problems. I think it is obviously a weak link on the car.

I think my car could definitely be considered an outlier when you look at the numbers though. My specBox has proved itself to be the quickest car on the west coast coast this year, and I don't think any would argue against that. It certainly gets driven to limit and then some. If anyone is going to find the weak parts, I will, and I did.

It's not the fastest car out here because of horsepower. It's driven hard, shifted quick, has inside wheels spinning, and spends a lot of time curb surfing.

A season for us on the west coast is a bit longer as well. We run from January to December and I have 38+ track days on the car this year. The short track events are actually much harder on the car than the large high speed tracks.
concur with weak box.
potter lost a box or maybe two.
i lost one box in 2009 when i raced BSR.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:30 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Wow.. a tranny every 8 track days... that's about the frequency I change oil in my 993. My engine and tranny are 15 years old.... Over three hard seasons, I've missed exactly two DE run sessions (shift fork) and only one single race DNF (half shaft) due to mechanical failures in my 993.

I've been observing with a lot of curiosity and interest about this spec boxster idea, but with engines and trannies considered to be consumable items, and guys buying sticker tires for every race weekend, I'm just not convinced yet that this class makes sense.
box failure may sound excessive.
but they are less than $3000 used, that's parts, labor, shipping and tax all in.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:53 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

What exactly is letting go in the box? is it the R&P? that would seem a bit odd...
Old 11-24-2011, 01:11 AM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Time to man up: Spec Suburban
Find someone to rent us 20 or so Suburbans and you know I am in. I'll drive anything !

BTW - Globes yellow hornet is much improved. Lightened the car enough to offset the added bars. Lighter, stiffer, more power, it even looks prettier, it's gonna be fun !
Old 11-24-2011, 02:17 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by J richard
What exactly is letting go in the box? is it the R&P? that would seem a bit odd...
i dont really know. it would cost more to open up to fix then just to buy a box from junk yard.

i lost third gear, then 4th gear, all within one lap.
then it sounded like a tin can with nails.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:47 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, if 20+ spec bolsters start showing up at PCA events in the Northeast.... and I get more evidence that these cars can be raced hard and reliably without major big-ticket overhauls/repairs every season.... then I'd be in. For now, I'll continue watching with close interest.

Quick Reply: PCA Specbox History? WTF...