Sponsored by:

PCA Specbox History? WTF...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:15 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
I've not heard of anyone else having such transmission failures. 4 in a year is a lot. More than you can blame on an LSD. Lots of cars out there without LSDs and the track isn't littered with tranny parts.
I believe Eric ran in a class that allowed stickier tires, sticky tires when spun fast in the air and then hit pavement cause a huge load on the R&P. A less sticky tire would just tend to spin more when it hit the pavement causing less load, or shock load if you will, to be transfered to the R&P.
I guess that is another benefit for the less sticky Toyo for Spec Box.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:25 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastviking
I believe Eric ran in a class that allowed stickier tires, sticky tires when spun fast in the air and then hit pavement cause a huge load on the R&P. A less sticky tire would just tend to spin more when it hit the pavement causing less load, or shock load if you will, to be transfered to the R&P.
I guess that is another benefit for the less sticky Toyo for Spec Box.
This where people often forget the advantage of less sticky tires. It puts less load on not just the gearbox, but many parts of the car. It can allow you to run more stock parts for longer simply by running less sticky tires. So the tires save you money by lasting longer and save you money by putting less stress on parts. Why don't most people race with them? They are slower. The is the beauty of spec class. Smartly done you can create a spec that is 90% as fast as a no expense spared build, but at 50% the cost. 2k here and 2k there addes up. The key however is balance. Cars must be fun to drive, equal in performance, low cost to build, low cost to maintain and reliable enough to keep drivers focused on the fun stuff which is racing.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

These cars are fun. So light and nimble. The power to weight is right at the GTS2 limit. I came out of an E stock 911. My thinking was that I paid my dues in the older platform and it was time to learn in a modern car. This was the perfect choice. The cars are night and day. The Boxster requires much less effort but, as I learned, you can't drive it like a 911. While it is different from that classic 911 experience it is loads of fun primarily due to the weight. ABS and a modern trans make big differences too.

Very fun to race.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't the ideal forum for a rules debate, and with the series/rules up in the air, I'm not sure if there is an ideal forum. However, the "factory option" argument is really weak; as someone mentioned before none of the suspension was optional, and neither is a composite top or 3rd radiator.

I saw a number of SPB track records broken this year, so obviously, the cars are being driven harder than they were last year, and certainly the years prior. Consequently, it makes sense to revisit an old decision with new opinions.

Also, it is tough to draw a LSD comparison between Spec944 and SPB. The 944 is VERY polar, with front engine/rear transmission. I would argue that a 944 does NOT need LSD. A mid-engine Boxster has a VERY different inertia, and a LSD has a much more dramatic effect.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:00 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Autometrics
...A mid-engine Boxster has a VERY different inertia, and a LSD has a much more dramatic effect.
Which in fact is an argument for not allowing it as much allowing it. The not argument says it will become a "must have" and force every driver to get one.

The counter argument is the car will be alot better to drive for all with an LSD.

Not an easy choice....
Old 11-23-2011, 12:01 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PCA 2012 rules are posted. No big surprises at all.

The RA1 in square/staggered is the new spec tire
we are still on the PSS9s with stock valving
Lexan windshield added
trans cooler option added
removal of smog equipment
Old 11-23-2011, 12:21 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Now we wait to hear from Nasa
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll race anything, I vote for "Spec Golf Cart"

We all show up at a track like Daytona, or Mid Ohio where they have a golf cart rental company, seal the lids as they come out of the rental company so there is no playing with restrictors, etc, and then we race around the track !

Just think of the benefits, low cost, instead of 3 wide thru turn one we can probably go 6 wide ! Drafting ? They already come with those rubber bumpers, we won't even scratch the paint !
Old 11-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adam@Autometrics
This isn't the ideal forum for a rules debate, and with the series/rules up in the air, I'm not sure if there is an ideal forum. However, the "factory option" argument is really weak; as someone mentioned before none of the suspension was optional, and neither is a composite top or 3rd radiator.
Maybe factory option was poor word choice. The rules specify Porsche factory part numbers. They are off the shelf.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:33 PM
syncspeedinc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul 996
PCA 2012 rules are posted. No big surprises at all.

The RA1 in square/staggered is the new spec tire
we are still on the PSS9s with stock valving
Lexan windshield added
trans cooler option added
removal of smog equipment

Hi Paul,

Is that a front or rear (or both) Lexan windshield?

I am hearing that the new RA-1 tires ( next spring ) are going to be a moulded tire, and will come @ 4/32nds from the factory, did your group here the same?
Old 11-23-2011, 12:42 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Chris hope you are well. Been meaning to call and check in

I understood it to be Lexan windshields being allowed. We were always allowed a non-glass rear window with the fiberglass tops.

I had not heard any kind of news regarding the RA-1 at all. It would be nice to not have to shave them before use. I wonder what our options would be for rain tires assuming the 4/32 isn't desired, I would hope we can still get the full tread RA1 for use as rain tires.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:00 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n2deep
Eric, 4 transmissions is concerning. Do you run a short shifter?
Nope. Just really quick shifts with the standard shifter. I'm not claiming I'm not hard on the car, I'll admit to that. I'm just saying that the LSD would reduce the load on the trans, and could increase rear tire life as well.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:09 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
I've not heard of anyone else having such transmission failures. 4 in a year is a lot. More than you can blame on an LSD. Lots of cars out there without LSDs and the track isn't littered with tranny parts.
True, but during this season, we've had instances where 5 cars in an event went down with gearbox or shifter problems. I think it is obviously a weak link on the car.

I think my car could definitely be considered an outlier when you look at the numbers though. My specBox has proved itself to be the quickest car on the west coast coast this year, and I don't think any would argue against that. It certainly gets driven to limit and then some. If anyone is going to find the weak parts, I will, and I did.

It's not the fastest car out here because of horsepower. It's driven hard, shifted quick, has inside wheels spinning, and spends a lot of time curb surfing.

A season for us on the west coast is a bit longer as well. We run from January to December and I have 38+ track days on the car this year. The short track events are actually much harder on the car than the large high speed tracks.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:45 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Wow.. a tranny every 8 track days... that's about the frequency I change oil in my 993. My engine and tranny are 15 years old.... Over three hard seasons, I've missed exactly two DE run sessions (shift fork) and only one single race DNF (half shaft) due to mechanical failures in my 993.

I've been observing with a lot of curiosity and interest about this spec boxster idea, but with engines and trannies considered to be consumable items, and guys buying sticker tires for every race weekend, I'm just not convinced yet that this class makes sense.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:41 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Ninja. I don't know anyone who goes thru engines or transmissions as described above. Those who want to buy new tiires at every event will do that no matter what series they run.

Quick Reply: PCA Specbox History? WTF...