Sponsored by:

PCA Specbox History? WTF...

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

The LSD thing was debated and it lost. Rightfully so for a two reasons: Cost and not a factory option.

Not to beat a dead horse but if you don't like Toyos and you don't like Pss9's and you want an LSD then SPB just isn't the series for you. It's not a limitation of the series, it's on purpose. There are plenty of places to go like PT, E or GTS. You want the car to be more then get out your check book and make it so, don't try to influence a spec series when there are dozens of options available to you.

The cars are very fun to drive. If I wanted to build an E car I would have but the entire focus of SPB, for me, was to get out of the arms race of "stock" and GTS and reduce my costs of racing. The less it costs the more I can race.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Clem
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to start something. But what is stopping you? Put an E on the side of your car and have at it.

No offense taken. Want to run spec series, not E stock. I'd happily run street tires if that's the spec. Just prefer the Hoosiers. And would love an LSD. With those two changes car would be incrementally more expensive but unbelievably more hooked up imo.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:57 PM
eric523
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clem
Just prefer the Hoosiers. And would love an LSD. With those two changes car would be incrementally more expensive but unbelievably more hooked up imo.
My opinion as well.

FWIW, GT3 lower control arms, GT3 sway bars, adjustable rear toe links, Coil-over suspension, and adjustable rear sway bars were also not factory options and cost (more) money.

I went through 4 transmissions this year. Some of those I feel would have lasted a lot longer if I would have had an LSD in the car. Getting serious wheel spin and then suddenly catching grip is very hard on the trans. Most guys say, well, just slow down... I would have much rather spent $1k on an LSD instead of $8k on transmissions, not including the lost track weekend fees.

Doesn't matter much now anyway. I do think it would have been great if we could have had a better and more consistent place for all parties to discuss these items. Moving forward, I plan on helping the west coast sort out our future BoxsterSpec plans even though I'm leaving the class.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:23 PM
coryf
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 69 Posts

A diff would make the car a lot more fun to drive and faster as well. The corner entry oversteer is challenging to catch without any diff lockup under braking. The cars are still a lot of fun to drive but they would feel more like proper track/race cars with a diff. I bet Matt at Guard would be willing to do a "spec" diff at a good price for the SPB guys.

The problem about just running it in E is the weight i believe. Not sure what the E class weight is but it would have to be a decent amount more than SPB.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:30 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Streak
Not to beat a dead horse but if you don't like Toyos and you don't like Pss9's and you want an LSD then SPB just isn't the series for you. It's not a limitation of the series, it's on purpose. There are plenty of places to go like PT, E or GTS. You want the car to be more then get out your check book and make it so, don't try to influence a spec series when there are dozens of options available to you.
Well put. FWIW, SP996 offers some upgrades. More power, LSD, BFG-R1's, JRZ-RS dampers, and aero. But of course it comes at a cost. When we designed the class, we tried to position it so that the difference between it and SPB would be clear. Of course some folks will want CF roofs, Hoosiers, Motons, solid bushings,... That's what cup cars are for, but some people are never happy...
Old 11-22-2011, 07:37 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Well put. FWIW, SP996 offers some upgrades. More power, LSD, BFG-R1's, JRZ-RS dampers, and aero. But of course it comes at a cost. When we designed the class, we tried to position it so that the difference between it and SPB would be clear. Of course some folks will want CF roofs, Hoosiers, Motons, solid bushings,... That's what cup cars are for, but some people are never happy...
Oh so that's why I'm so happy?
Old 11-22-2011, 07:41 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I wholeheartedly support the spec in specbox, chasing ever-changing rules sucks the life out of a series. IMHO have an open uniform rules discussion at the end of the year, make the decision and move on racing. I watched it happen a few times in 944spec, Joe was in the thick of it and it didn't look like fun but it worked when it was open.

That said one of the changes that really made the 944 more fun was the LSD. Really sucked to be trying to power out of a corner with all 120ish horses making only noise and fanning the breeze... It will be interesting to see how the box likes the same abuse...a number of guys have commented on the lack of a good dif... The Hoosiers are a different deal unlike the one time cost of a dif running through r6s gets expensive for the long haul.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

JR...yer not like the others.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:19 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Oh so that's why I'm so happy?
That plus the fact that you actually know how to drive.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:44 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
JR...yer not like the others.
Never heard that before ....
Old 11-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have listened very carefully to what Eric threw out there about the LSD and while I wasn't for it this year I am in the maybe category for next year. I am still toothing a fairly new car build and we have done pretty well together but as I am pushing the car harder I think that I can see the LSD argument. I likely have been adjusting my driving style to compensate for it costing a little lap time.

I have a spare transmission just in case.

I ran on Hoosiers recently out of class and of course the R6s upped the game considerably in grip and I couldn't understand why I was holding back on mashing the gas earlier.... conditioning from the R888s.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:59 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
That plus the fact that you actually know how to drive.
No, it's not that for JR.
I think it's the slicks, those make every driver happy !
Old 11-22-2011, 10:04 PM
n2deep
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eric, 4 transmissions is concerning. Do you run a short shifter?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:26 PM
onefastviking
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by n2deep
Eric, 4 transmissions is concerning. Do you run a short shifter?
I think he defined the cause by the wheel spin comment, that can really eat R&P's fast. They don't like that type of loading.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

I've not heard of anyone else having such transmission failures. 4 in a year is a lot. More than you can blame on an LSD. Lots of cars out there without LSDs and the track isn't littered with tranny parts.

Quick Reply: PCA Specbox History? WTF...