Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 as DE track car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:20 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

FWIW, I tracked my 996 pretty hard for a number of years. Upgraded to PSS9 and it was a great ride. It did blow one engine, but it drove great for another year or so after that, and then I sold the car. It's a capable platform for sure, just get all the preventative stuff done you can afford. Engines ain't cheap.

There's plenty of info on how to make them fast. I think JR might have a little tucked away in his head.

-td
Old 11-16-2011, 05:24 PM
BillTlook
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on the fence about this and think the 996 motors are not the strongest Porsche have produced. I have an '02 996 with 77k miles and have been doing DEs with it since 2009. It has the X51 oil pan, X74 suspension and has been running on RA1s for the last year.

Just started having intermitted low oil pressure warnings and found 1/2" to 1/4" aluminum pieces in the sump. Suspect its a broken lifter carrier that's the problem. In any event, I'm looking at a rebuild (hopefully not a $17k reman motor from Porsche), but we'll see. I know two other well maintained 996s running in intermediate DE run groups that have had blown engines in my PCA region this year alone.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:05 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
That's funny stuff an oh so true....

David what are your rear spring rates? You need to get that inside front wheel back down on the ground...
Old photo on old shocks- now on JRZs and I want to say 700 lbs rears.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:21 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
Old photo on old shocks- now on JRZs and I want to say 700 lbs rears.
That's right, you have some new body parts. Got new pics?

I run 500/700 springs and occasionally can lift a front tire. If that's not common, and it shouldn't be now that you've dropped 150+ lbs., then I wouldn't be concerned. On the other hand, if you can't keep the inside front wheel down in hard cornering I'd considering bumping the rear springs rates up 100lbs or so. I'm planning on trying that myself this coming off season....
Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Dave,
I have a confirmation in the Sebro slotted Rotor delivery from Germany. They will be here in time for an early Christmas present for the car.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:33 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

"That's right, you have some new body parts. Got new pics?

I run 500/700 springs and occasionally can lift a front tire. If that's not common, and it shouldn't be now that you've dropped 150+ lbs., then I wouldn't be concerned. On the other hand, if you can't keep the inside front wheel down in hard cornering I'd considering bumping the rear springs rates up 100lbs or so. I'm planning on trying that myself this coming off season...."

Where you lead I will (likely) follow- so let me know how the 800's work.
My concern is at Road Atl I have to deal with this every 1:34 or so.
Then there's Sebring
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2011, 08:20 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rotors

Originally Posted by mglobe
The 996 makes a great track car. Prices are affordable on the cars. They are safe, reliable, and a very honest handling platform. Look at the SP996 rules in the PCA Club Racing rule book for a great suspension upgrade path (JRZ RS, GT3 sways, GT3 LCA...).

An X51 oilpan is a must IMHO.
Originally Posted by LC MotorSports
Dave,
I have a confirmation in the Sebro slotted Rotor delivery from Germany. They will be here in time for an early Christmas present for the car.
Rear or front. If front better than DBA?
Old 11-16-2011, 11:50 PM
Terry T.
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BillTlook
I'm on the fence about this and think the 996 motors are not the strongest Porsche have produced. I have an '02 996 with 77k miles and have been doing DEs with it since 2009. It has the X51 oil pan, X74 suspension and has been running on RA1s for the last year.

Just started having intermitted low oil pressure warnings and found 1/2" to 1/4" aluminum pieces in the sump. Suspect its a broken lifter carrier that's the problem. In any event, I'm looking at a rebuild (hopefully not a $17k reman motor from Porsche), but we'll see. I know two other well maintained 996s running in intermediate DE run groups that have had blown engines in my PCA region this year alone.
That's what makes me jittery, Bill. I have seen enough Boxsters, 996s, and Caymans go home on flatbeds. One poor guy I know had BOTH a Boxster and a 996 blow up.

Please don't tell Justin, but I tend to drive the whee out of my cars. (Oops!)

There is a car that is laid out almost identically to the 944 (so I would understand its handling dynamics) has 400 hp, and can be had for about my $25K budget. But it bears a name I dare not say on this board.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:27 AM
Eric S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

JR - My winter project to install the JRZ with 500/700 springs I got from you before buying the GT3. I wanted to drive the car a bit so I can feel the difference. Surely getting lots of wheel lift and can tell it needs more spring. I think those stock dampers are pretty much toast as well.

What did you think of Thunderhill? Sorry I couldn't get up there. Damn project in the way to get out of the ground so we have winter work, but that's a good thing.

Eric

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
That's right, you have some new body parts. Got new pics?

I run 500/700 springs and occasionally can lift a front tire. If that's not common, and it shouldn't be now that you've dropped 150+ lbs., then I wouldn't be concerned. On the other hand, if you can't keep the inside front wheel down in hard cornering I'd considering bumping the rear springs rates up 100lbs or so. I'm planning on trying that myself this coming off season....
Old 11-17-2011, 12:42 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I run 500/700 springs and occasionally can lift a front tire. If that's not common, and it shouldn't be now that you've dropped 150+ lbs., then I wouldn't be concerned. On the other hand, if you can't keep the inside front wheel down in hard cornering I'd considering bumping the rear springs rates up 100lbs or so. I'm planning on trying that myself this coming off season...."

Then there's Sebring
Old 11-17-2011, 09:19 AM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bella1
Rear or front. If front better than DBA?
Both Front & Rear with fitments for 996 / 997, GT3 , Boxster & Cayman,

I think they are better... Tested the units all this year and found them to work great.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:42 AM
dacbap
Instructor

Then there's Sebring
What size/type tires are you running front & rear?

Quick Reply: 996 as DE track car?