Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Astrophysicist interprets race car data!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Astrophysicist interprets race car data!

How cool is this? A John Hopkins physics student has been helping the Dyson racing team with data acquisition!

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011...art-of-racing/

The team that won the 2011 American Le Mans Series Drivers’ and Team Championships was a bit different than most. In addition to engineers, mechanics, drivers and pit crew, Dyson Racing also retained the services of Dillon Brout, a college student.

Mr. Brout, 20, traffics in a vast universe of numbers that would make little sense to those working outside the realm of advanced physics. A student at Johns Hopkins University, Mr. Brout studies under Dr. Adam Riess, who shared the 2011 Nobel Prize in Physics with two other scientists.

In the lab, Mr. Brout learned to analyze the huge amount of data that enabled Dr. Riess to determine that the universe was expanding at a constantly accelerating rate. Last summer, he decided to apply his knowledge to a different kind of acceleration.

“I’ve been an auto racing fan for as long as I can remember,” said Mr. Brout in a telephone interview. “Before the summer break I sent a résumé to Dyson Racing. Rob Dyson interviewed me over the phone. We had a good chat, and he hired me.”

“I was a fly-in,” he continued. “They brought me in for each race. I was there when they arrived at each venue and would analyze data from the practice and qualifying sessions.”

Mr. Brout applied techniques he learned while researching the effect of dark energy on the universe. Combing a huge range of signals gathered from multiple racecar sensors, which measured engine, suspension and drivetrain variables, Mr. Brout analyzed their interrelationship and generated conclusions that could be analyzed in the pit and used to make adjustments to the racecar. The resulting calibrations improved on-track cornering speed, sector speed and top speed.

Of course, racing teams have long crunched numbers generated by on-board computer systems. According to Mr. Brout, however, team engineers usually don’t approach the task of analyzing the data from a more rigorous scientific perspective.

“I learned a lot about data analysis from Daniel Scolnic, a Johns Hopkins graduate student who is part of Dr. Riess’s team,” Mr. Brout said. “As I was working in the lab I couldn’t help but think that advanced analytic methods would be directly applicable to auto racing.”

Chris Dyson, vice president of Dyson Racing as well as a team driver, was impressed with Mr. Brout’s contributions.

“Dillon has been an exceptional addition to our team,” he said. “He brought with him some very clever ideas and applied his knowledge of mathematics and software to the parameters of auto racing. This was to the great benefit of our engineering team. I often kid Dillon and say racing is just like his physics lab — in hyper speed — but it really is just that. He’s such a well-rounded young man, and it’s been an absolute joy to work with him. We’re looking forward to doing more together in 2012.”

Mr. Brout noted that his work with Dyson was rewarding because the results were immediate. “In the lab, you take tiny steps, and it can be years before you see results,” he said. “At the racetrack, I was able to work in the same way but get immediate results.”

One result Mr. Brout didn’t get to enjoy was the celebration that followed the team’s final championship-season race on Oct. 1 at Road Atlanta. During the post-race parties, Mr. Brout was on a plane, heading back to school for a Monday morning class.

But he was soon part of another celebration, as the Nobel Prize announcement came the following day.

“That was quite a week,” he said.

Last edited by Van; 11-08-2011 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very cool indeed. I wonder if this talent could eventually be translated into some sort of consumer analysis software that could be used identify specific tuning/performance suggestions.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:48 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is this in the NY times? Why is the NY Times debuting cool information about a racing team. Why isn't stuff like this in Racecar engineering, or Racer magazine? Or even on a blog somewhere, about 7 months ago?

Why aren't Dyson doing their due diligence to make sure their name is in the mind of the racing enthusiast, and why aren't journalists doing their due diligence to make sure cool stories like this are provided to the racing enthusiast? NY TIMES?!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:11 AM
al@cpt
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool story, thanks for sharing.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Land Jet
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do we have any astrophysicists here on the board? I have a question for one of them.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:16 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This kid has a future. Kudos to him for having the stones to approach Dyson, and kudos to Dyson for having the foresight to give him a shot. Sounds like it worked out well all round. Great story.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:44 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

LOL... I'd love to volunteer out astrophysicists to provide data analysis services to any of my competitors... that'll be one swift way to put 'em a year behind in their development!
Old 11-08-2011, 01:07 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

Ouch Vaughn I won't necessarily deny that.

This article is just a *tad* exaggerated. But it sounds like Mr. Brout has done some excellent work as a very young student.

Land Jet- watcha got for me?
Old 11-08-2011, 02:32 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Maximize HP-seconds.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:36 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

"Mr. Brout applied techniques he learned while researching the effect of dark energy on the universe."

Thought this was the most pertinent part of the article.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:28 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I am not an astrophysist (that's my dim(mer) brother), but I have taught final year Operations Research for a couple of years (no depths are too low to sink to in Academia, we all have dark secrets if not dark matter).

I have also analysed data for both race cars and race boats. Two words spring to mind - calibration and cleandata - until these two issues have been sorted, you might as well play tiddly-winks.

However, Engineer Brout doubtless acquired a lot of skills that lets him automate the selection of cleandata and then apply FFT, linear programming and time series techniques, so he was nor reinventing the wheel as it were. I'm sure he has great ways of visualising data, possibly using a tool such as Wolfram's Mathematica.

R+C
Old 11-08-2011, 04:04 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
I am not an astrophysist (that's my dim(mer) brother), but I have taught final year Operations Research for a couple of years (no depths are too low to sink to in Academia, we all have dark secrets if not dark matter).

I have also analysed data for both race cars and race boats. Two words spring to mind - calibration and cleandata - until these two issues have been sorted, you might as well play tiddly-winks.

However, Engineer Brout doubtless acquired a lot of skills that lets him automate the selection of cleandata and then apply FFT, linear programming and time series techniques, so he was nor reinventing the wheel as it were. I'm sure he has great ways of visualising data, possibly using a tool such as Wolfram's Mathematica.

R+C

Well, all of that just goes without saying.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Turb-OH Brad
Well, all of that just goes without saying.
You are too kind

R+C

Quick Reply: Astrophysicist interprets race car data!