Sponsored by:

New Smarty Cam GP pencil camera available

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New Smarty Cam GP pencil camera available

I just received two of the new Smarty Cam GP cameras. These look awesome. The concept is using a pencil camera and put all of the brains, display etc in a remote device. This unit looks very well constructed. I really like being able to see the small display screen to determine if the camera is pointed correctly in addition to not having to move or remove the camera to access the memory card. The third, and possibly the best benefit is that the mass of the camera is much less and should prove to be a much steadier video.

I have not tried one yet but will at Homestead on Saturday. The list price is the same as the regular Smarty Cam, $999. E-mail me at jandsaustin1 at verizon dot net if you'd like to order one or obtain more info.
Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2011, 09:35 PM
Viperbob1
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow looks great. Sure Kevin would try one for you this weekend at Sebring
Old 11-03-2011, 09:49 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm wonder if they'll take back my 2nd. (and still shaky) Smartycam.....
Old 11-03-2011, 09:58 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HD or standard res??
Old 11-03-2011, 10:18 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Tony

I do not think this is the HD yet. Actually don't know much about them. One of my customers kept pushing me to get one for him, so I got two. I did not find anything on the AIM Italy website. Looking forward to the test Saturday.

JR

Is your current camera fairly new? The current version says rev 8 inside the door. I found units before rev 7 to be "shaky" in stiff cars, really did not work well in Cup cars. I think the later units are better. I hope the GP unit solves that issue in Cup Cars.

Last edited by amso3; 11-03-2011 at 10:19 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-03-2011, 10:34 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all the "smart" things smarty cam needs! looks very nice. I look forward to hearing yoru reviews after homestead!
Thanks Jerry
Old 11-04-2011, 12:04 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Tony

They aren't HD. In the past AIM wasnt too keen on hd because it's such a memory hog. Not sure how long that mentality will persist.

This should be great although it's more of a step up for the open wheel crowd where they couldn't mount the regular camera without a lot of work.

My stock should be here soon and I'm looking forward to it on the srf.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:23 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
JR
Is your current camera fairly new? The current version says rev 8 inside the door. I found units before rev 7 to be "shaky" in stiff cars, really did not work well in Cup cars. I think the later units are better. I hope the GP unit solves that issue in Cup Cars.
Jerry it's been less than 6 months since they replaced my original camera but it says R.W07 inside the door. Should I be asking them for a E.W08 version?
Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

JR

I have not used the 08 version yet. The 07 has solved most of the problem you refer to for my customers that I work with. I never know what the revisions have done, so I can't say if the 08 will help. Have you tried the "cradle" mount? I bought a couple to try to solve Cup car issues. They helped but didn't solve the problem. I can send you one to try if you like.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:50 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The best solution for vibration is the big io port mount. That chunk of urethane is magic. Even the buzziest cars quiet down.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:08 PM
JoeMag
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure which version my cam is (got it early this year), but I've had no pic vib issues. Car is stiff, all metal in susp, and motor mounts.

Last edited by JoeMag; 12-23-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:38 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,845 Likes on 1,675 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeMag
Not sure which version my cam is (got it early this year), but I've had no pic vib issues. Car is stiff, all metal in susp, and motor mounts.
Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
The best solution for vibration is the big io port mount. That chunk of urethane is magic. Even the buzziest cars quiet down.
That's why...
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 11-08-2011, 06:43 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I have an older IO port mounted to my cage and the image was awful jittery. I solved the problem with a really sharp ceramic knife and a common household sponge. I carved a 3/16 of an inch slice of sponge, trimmed it to size and use that as a washer between the camera and mount. Made a world of difference in image quality.

It sucks the gp isnt hd, but its still enough of an improvement that I might sell my current one for it. The problem with the current design IMO is that with the screen on top and the camera mounted in the car, its friggin difficult to recalibrate the thing as you cant see the menu when the camera is in position. And you have to pretty much to recal everytime as at a minimum you have to spin the camera around to get to the memory chip. If you've got big fingers, you'll drop it for sure in which case you'll be removing it. Hence the recal. With this unit, you can mount it where its accessible and you'll likely calibrate it once and forget about it. Much better.

Last edited by RJay; 11-08-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:01 PM
RJay
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RJay
...I know he doesnt trust me.
Apologies to Jerry, apparently he didnt find my brand of silliness particularly funny. He's a great guy and I love him. Hopefully he forgives, no harm intended at all.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:52 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Thanks RJay, everything is cool

Quick Reply: New Smarty Cam GP pencil camera available