Sponsored by:

DE Lines vs Racing Lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 10:34 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolaman

Racing to me is going through the corner, sometimes several corners and, if I'm lucky, around a whole LAP or more SIDE-BY-SIDE with a friend and competitor in a car with simialr performance potential, evaluating each other's strenghts and weaknesses, giving each other racing room and LETTING THE CORNERS SORT IT OUT!
Yes that happens but doing so you are both running slower laps, which allows the place behind you to close the gap and the car ahead to increase the gap, of course depending on if they have clear traffic.
Also your going to really **** off the faster class drivers by holding them up by doing this.
I'd prefer to concede and give the place away then to allow the people behind me a chance to close up easily. Allowing this early means you both can run optimally faster laps to catch the position in front of both of you rather then allow him to get away on you.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:06 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,016 Likes on 1,770 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Also your going to really **** off the faster class drivers by holding them up by doing this.
We usually are the FASTEST class drivers...

When we get to the dull-headed slower class drivers in their own race, we disengage, get by them single file and reengage until the checker!
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 10-25-2011, 12:01 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
In addition to what Bob said, you also need to develop sort of a mental cadence than helps you calculate where you will be and where the slower car(s) will be when you catch it/them. You need to develop an instinct to use them as a pick, so as to pass them w/o losing appreciable momentum while simultaneously using your pass of them, timed perfectly, as just enough of a delay for the equal car on your *** to have to wait a beat before also getting by. You want to make them lose a bit of momentum w/o losing yours.
I'll never forget who taught me this and where. Scott Berkowitz at MidOhio in a NASA race. Following him around and consistently being put in bad spots eventually created that "A-ha" moment for me. My thinking went something like "Crap,....I think he's doing that to me on purpose". D'uh. The DE to racing learning curve is steep.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:20 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
I'll never forget who taught me this and where. Scott Berkowitz at MidOhio in a NASA race. Following him around and consistently being put in bad spots eventually created that "A-ha" moment for me. My thinking went something like "Crap,....I think he's doing that to me on purpose". D'uh. The DE to racing learning curve is steep.
Yup! Scott is very crafty...

Quick Reply: DE Lines vs Racing Lines