Sponsored by:

DE Lines vs Racing Lines

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 05:27 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts
Default DE Lines vs Racing Lines

I've been doing DE's and ChumpCars for about a year now.

just had an interesting conversation with a fellow race team member.

We both have observed that running a clean DE line damn near
gets us wiped off the track by extremely late breakers into tighter turns.
Especially late Apexes.

We both are decent drivers relative to our respective experience.
We also have learned to do a a measured glance in the rear view
coming into such turns.

When it's obvious to us that someones coming up -- we give the space.

However we have found it quite surprising just how often (and how late) that during
late apex corners that folks dive into the inside line and expect
you to know they are there and suddenly "rubbing is racing" comes into play.

We're trying to figure if that's just how its going to be and either completely
give the line, alter our entry if it even looks like someone might dive in (seems like blocking to us), or what?

I think this is more difficult for us because we drive a 924S which is a momentum car and we need to keep the speed (and thus use the
track) for being any bit competitive on the track.

In the end -- we're endurance racing and would prefer to just preserve the car.
However, it does get quite annoying getting dive bombed and either expected to acquiesce or lend them our fenders and 4 wheels to help slow them down.

We both do a good bit of DEs (PCA and others) on the tracks we run to learn the track and learn the lines.

thanks,

Mike
Old 10-18-2011, 05:43 PM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by txhokie4life
I've been doing DE's and ChumpCars for about a year now.

just had an interesting conversation with a fellow race team member.

We both have observed that running a clean DE line damn near
gets us wiped off the track by extremely late breakers into tighter turns.
Especially late Apexes.

We both are decent drivers relative to our respective experience.
We also have learned to do a a measured glance in the rear view
coming into such turns.

When it's obvious to us that someones coming up -- we give the space.

However we have found it quite surprising just how often (and how late) that during
late apex corners that folks dive into the inside line and expect
you to know they are there and suddenly "rubbing is racing" comes into play.

We're trying to figure if that's just how its going to be and either completely
give the line, alter our entry if it even looks like someone might dive in (seems like blocking to us), or what?

I think this is more difficult for us because we drive a 924S which is a momentum car and we need to keep the speed (and thus use the
track) for being any bit competitive on the track.

In the end -- we're endurance racing and would prefer to just preserve the car.
However, it does get quite annoying getting dive bombed and either expected to acquiesce or lend them our fenders and 4 wheels to help slow them down.

We both do a good bit of DEs (PCA and others) on the tracks we run to learn the track and learn the lines.

thanks,

Mike
This a problem at all levels of racing, if you don't defend (read: block) the other drivers quickly learn that they can dive bomb you late in the corner and get away with it. You have to find a balance between giving up a corner without a fight and being a total jerk that won't let faster cars by. One way is to move to the middle of the track early before turn in to defend and force the higher powered car to wait and pass you on the next straight. I think that is reasonable and if you always give up your line to faster cars, you will end up even slower, with worse results. The downside is sometimes you may get hit (I did) but hey, fenders for a 924 are cheap right?
Old 10-18-2011, 05:48 PM
jaje
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have to drive a defensive line all the time - get to know where the other car is close and can dive bomb - then drive it defensively there. Other corners your car maybe better and will not have the concern as the passing car cannot get inside anyway.

Another thought is if they are behind you...well they are likely faster than you. Sometimes it is wise to let them by anyway.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

There is a difference between blocking and driving a defensive line. Blocking is crap. Driving a defensive line is racing. You need to find out exactly how wide your car is.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

There are fast lines and slow lines. There is no "racing line".

Get a coach to help you figure out some faster lines that won't get you passed.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:08 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Learn to enter the corners faster and you will avoid most of the dive bombs. Late apexes will get you passed all day long. Unfortunately, teaching a late apex is preferable for new drivers.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:16 PM
certz
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

+1 to Matt's comment. You are ahead and are allowed to drive your line - in the middle of the track if you so wish. Weaving and blocking is a no-no, driving to defend your line is racing. I am on a Lemons team and we have a 944 with the some of the same issues you mention. I have found this method works pretty well, when a faster car is coming up and it appears they are going to "dive-in" I pick my line and give a car width between me and the apex. Good drivers go right on by and we both maintain good speed through the corner, drivers who are just trying to be aggressive and see if they can force you out of the way, check up. The best part is the next time either of these types of drivers is trying to get by again, they already know what to expect. I recommend being consistent in whatever manuever you choose though.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:47 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to adjust for whatever type of race you're running. Like you said, you're endurance racing and I'm sure that 90% of the time, the guys passing you are generally faster anyway so you've really lost little in an endurance race. In a sprint race, however, every second counts and you have to measure giving room against giving away time in your "momentum" car and adjust your line accordingly. You're not facing anything that anyone else on here hasn't faced....
Old 10-18-2011, 06:55 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

if you know a car is faster than you, let them pass you on the straight. do not wait until the corner. that's the only way you will be able to keep up your momentum and minimize your loss of speed.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:55 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
Learn to enter the corners faster and you will avoid most of the dive bombs. Late apexes will get you passed all day long. Unfortunately, teaching a late apex is preferable for new drivers.
On the motorcycle side of the world, we would teach "relatively new to the track" riders to start out using late apexes and to get all their braking done with the bike upright. In a race situation, late apexing OR doing all your braking with the bike upright, will result in you getting passed easily. Put them both together and you are going to get passed all day long.

What do you do in regards to braking when you are being pressed by another driver? Do you trail brake a little more or brake the same?

Scott
Old 10-18-2011, 07:58 PM
bauerjab
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
I see we're heading back to "bending the car" into the corner....Easier said than done - at least for me.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bauerjab
I see we're heading back to "bending the car" into the corner....Easier said than done - at least for me.
Oh, I don't know. A faster earlier apex should bend the car quite nicely.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bauerjab
Originally Posted by DCP
Oh, I don't know. A faster earlier apex should bend the car quite nicely.
Yes it does. And no its 'not easier said than done' but having someone like Bob show you makes it easier to understand and implement for sure. Think "I am first going to ask (or suggest to) the car to (that) it turn in and I am then going to direct it to do so" - my internal thoughts and directives, not Bob's. Slow and easy hands initially and then get it down and in there, all the while braking less and carrying momentum. We all drive momentum cars ;-) Highly recommend Bob ....
Old 10-18-2011, 08:33 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
There is a difference between blocking and driving a defensive line. Blocking is crap. Driving a defensive line is racing. You need to find out exactly how wide your car is.
There is also a difference between a defensive line and just maintaining your fastest line. When being overtaken by a faster class car, the objective should be to hinder him the least while maximizing your speed and the risk to both of you. To optimize that for both parties takes quite a bit of awareness and thought on both drivers part in a very short period of time and is a learned skill like all others. That's why it's so advantageous to know the people that you are racing with / against.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:41 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You haven't been passed until they are more than next to you. Until then you race for position.

I drove a momentum endurance race car (JTCC) in the same race as 700 hp 911's and 996 Cup cars. In some corners I had to back off to avoid rear ending them, simply because they thought they could pass everywhere with power and grip.

Truth is that breaking and turn in points often are close because of the slower momentum car has different dynamics and is easier to balance.

It took a few hours to learn that the only safe way to be passed is to run our race and not help the faster car drivers. They expect you to race and will pass if fasters, if you balloon your way around a corner chances are you will run them off the track by cutting in sharp after a late apex.

Late apexing is great for safety when alone and roll time around the bends, but it will increase brake wear and turn slower lap times.

There is a reason why racers have a hard time going back to DE.

Quick Reply: DE Lines vs Racing Lines