Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 stock brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, there is no reason to switch out that nice Motul fluid for some worse ATE fluid. Keep it in there, even for street driving.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:17 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If I read the OP correctly he is indicating he has performance fluid, but it has not yet been properly flushed into the system. Take the car to a shop or reputable Porsche dealer and ask them to flush the system and use your fluid. Go over it again yourself with the power bleeder since brakes are pretty important to taking the car home. T1 at summit has plenty of run off, but the bottom of the chute is a roller coaster in the grass and will really mess up your car if you go off.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:38 AM
spts
Advanced

The only reason I'm considering switching back to stock is because the car probably won't see much more track time and I wasn't sure if long term sitting (garage queen) would be a good idea to leave the motul in. Since I have a dedicated track car already, not sure if its worth it to take the 993 out much, but since this is my first time out on track with the car.... I think I may get hooked.

bobt933 - Thanks for the advice. I've done plenty of summit events before so I definitely know what you are talking about and will take your advice seriously. The good thing is I'm running with a new group and because my SCCA license expired, I will be put in the novice group. I figured since there will be slower cars (first timers) and probably no race cars, it would be a good time to take out the 993 for the first time and not have someone spew oil or random parts in front of me.

I think I will go ahead and bleed the brakes myself with the guidance of a Porsche mechanic friend that has volunteered to come over to supervise. If something hits the fan he will have the tools necessary to get it sorted out. Again thank you all for the great advice and the time.

old track vid in case you wanted to see (not a p-car):
Old 10-13-2011, 04:28 PM
911CabSteve
Rennlist Member

FWIW: Ive been racing my C4s with POC for several years with 100% stock Big Red brakes and pads. I do use an upgraded "blue" brake fluid (can't remember make).. I have had NO ISSUES. The pads last at LEAST 4 days worth of racing.. That said, I have never run on the east coast tracks.. BUT, CA Speedway braking out of Turn 2 for the hard left into the infield is pretty darn hard and long braking - especially with the weight of my C4S which is basically a STOCK car - I weigh 3440 lbs with me in the car. I have also run Laguna Seca with no brake issues. The Andretti hairpin is also a big braking corner..
Old 10-13-2011, 06:15 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Originally Posted by 911CabSteve
I do use an upgraded "blue" brake fluid (can't remember make)
ATE Super Blue.

Quick Reply: 993 stock brake pads