Broken Half Shaft CV Question w/ Pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Half Shaft CV Question w/ Pics

Hey guys,

Today I took a broken half shaft that came out of my Boxster S racecar and wondered about the CV joint that is on the "wheel hub" side. The transmission is the Original Boxster S 6 speed and the half shafts are stock. Usually when I brake them...they break near the CV joint closest to the transmission or it breaks near or at the "gearing" right near the end of the shaft where the hub nut bolts on.

So I was looking at the CV joint/wheel hub end of the part and was wondering if/how you remove this joint and keep the large diameter wheel hub end as a spare. I am looking down inside the boot and see the CV Joint but can't figure out how to get to the outer end where I believe a cir-clip would be located. Pics below to help understand what I'm looking at.

Last edited by Brinkley; 01-26-2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to cut the metal housing off where it "pinches in" on the CV joint.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:24 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 45 Posts

It's also possible to pry up the crimp with a flat blade screwdriver. It's a pain but I have done it before.
Old 10-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Brinkley
Pro

So...with the words "cut off" and "pry off" would I be correct is saying that this end of the half shaft is not designed to be reused or matted to a brand new shaft by itself.

If you cut it or pry it off your only going to see the CV joint from the boot side. The cir-clip is on the outboard side so how do you remove that if you do cut it off?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Let me clarify which part we are cutting or prying off. The brass/gold colored cover that the boot slips over, correct?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:34 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brinkley
Let me clarify which part we are cutting or prying off. The brass/gold colored cover that the boot slips over, correct?
Yes, the gold colored cover has a crimped lip over the outer CV (part with the stub axle). You remove it, then you can take the ***** out of the CV joint cage which will let you take off the outer part with the stub axle. Then you can remove the circlip and take off the part of the CV with the cage.

You can set up the outer CV to be servicable/rebuildable by tapping the outer CV for a few screws to hold the gold cover on after you have removed the crimp.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Brinkley
Pro

Thank you for the clarification Claykos. Like you said earlier...Pain in the ***.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:30 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Larry described the best method is to put it on a metal lathe and carefully cut the crimp off. We then tapped the main metal carrier and installed allens to make it servicable in the future.
Old 10-02-2011, 12:18 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bobt993
As Larry described the best method is to put it on a metal lathe and carefully cut the crimp off. We then tapped the main metal carrier and installed allens to make it servicable in the future.
Yes this is the best way. If you dont have access to a lathe it is possible to carefully pry up the crimped edge, but as i said its a pain!

Quick Reply: Broken Half Shaft CV Question w/ Pics