Sponsored by:

Low profile / shallow / thin open face helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:30 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
I only need another 10mm of clearance, which could easily and quickly be resolved by looking for a lower profile helmet.
If your helmet is hitting the padding on the cage now, 10mm is not going to be a big enough change.

Scott
Old 09-25-2011, 09:07 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Practically, speaking, I doubt any helmet makers publicize the thickness of the helmet from head-to-shell. You can try several and see, but it's not a parameter I've seen advertised.

And if you're buying a new helment why not go full face? Open face may keep you out of some DEs, and for good reason.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:27 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
So changing the cage will cost about $6,000 once I repaint the interior... its in an AE86, JDM, so made for short people and I am 179cm. So just trying to find a lower profile helmet for now.
No, changing the cage is less expensive when done before you paint the int. In fact it even less expensive if you build it right in the first place but that ship has left the port it seems. Please don't get ticked at the people pointing out that a thinner helment still leaves a pipe near your head. Most of us go to lengths to avoid this regardless of helmet thickness.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 75 Posts

Without pics and a detailed description of the variables, one can only make assumptions about the car. I won't do that.

So, as to helmets, I might contact some of the companies that sell them in larger quantities. Some here in the US will be happy to try to help you figure out if there are any opportunities to gain clearance via this path. Like OG Racing, HMS Motorsports and countless others. Some of these companies have folks that post here on Rennlist. This could help you theoretically.

I am not sure about cage padding rules and requirements where you are, but if you can gain clearance, you may want to look into some padding that uses a layer of confor foam in addition to conventional stuff. That is if you can get enough clearance. I ran a layer of confor foam under conventional padding in my 951.

Also, without making assumptions... one thing I have seen folks do is take out the seat bottom cushion. Or use/make a thinner one. This can help depending on the seat and geometry. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:40 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I would look into lowering the seat, rather than getting a thinner helmet.
+1....
You can remove the lower seat pat on most non-metal seats. This will lower you the car and probably out of the way of the cage.

One issue however is that for some drivers you really need custom cage. If you are taller or shorer than average or have non typical arm lenght vs leg length it can put you in spot where a bolt in cage will cause issues. Custom my be what is needed to ensure it fits your shape.

That and possible adjustments to seating position.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:54 PM
SH || NC
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dan212
I got a note from a pending DE that open face helmets are no longer even allowed...
Can you elaborate on this please...I wear full face but know a few who wear open at PCA DEs.

Quick Reply: Low profile / shallow / thin open face helmet