Low profile / shallow / thin open face helmet

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 12:20 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Low profile / shallow / thin open face helmet

hello,

I have just put a cage in my track car, and the helmet I have is very close to the padding on the roll cage, it touches is in my natural seating position. Is there an open face helmet that is thinner (still FIA approved) or a lower profile to give me a little clearance? Cheers!

NZ
Old 09-25-2011, 07:42 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

I would look into lowering the seat, rather than getting a thinner helmet.
Old 09-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Lower the seat. The 911 rails can be removed and new rails fabricated/welded in a couple inches lower. Lowers your weight, gives you headroom, both a good thing. When you swing your head left, can it contact the cage? Not a good thing either. In a 911 the fuel lines run through the tunnel so best bet is pull them before doing any welding! Good time to replace them..
Old 09-25-2011, 02:28 PM
NZ951
Race Director

The seat is as low as it can go without cutting out the floor pan (I just painted the car so dont want to now), and the padding as thin as the FIA allow. Just looking for a little more room in other ways for now.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:54 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If it were me I'd change the cage. Is it the main hoop or a support piece. I wouldn't like my head that close to a bar personally.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:57 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume you are talking about the 951 which has plenty of tall people driving them. This makes me wonder why your head is so close to the bar. Are you real tall or have a very long torso? Is the bar placement poor? Changing helmets might increase clearance 1/2 and inch but changing the seat or bar to a position might give you inches. If I had a bar this close the last thing I might be thinking about is less helmet.

(edit) Joe posted while I was typing. ^what he said^
Old 09-25-2011, 04:12 PM
NZ951
Race Director

So changing the cage will cost about $6,000 once I repaint the interior... its in an AE86, JDM, so made for short people and I am 179cm. So just trying to find a lower profile helmet for now.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Rotate seat backwards, extend the steering column and go with it.

Next time build a cage that fits. Builder should have known better.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:27 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
Rotate seat backwards, extend the steering column and go with it.

Next time build a cage that fits. Builder should have known better.
The seat is tilted back (not sure how you woulod rotate it without modifying the floor pan) and the momo quick release put the wheel close enough, a bit of a stupid suggestion to make an extension to the steering column when you can just get a longer steering wheel hub for a few bucks.

The cage is bult to motorsport specification and as high to the roof as physically possible for that type of car. its a JDM car, not a car for the larger American market.

I really just want to know of a lower profile helmet, which so far, no one has been able to suggest. Looks like Sparco Pro Jet is the most compact I can find so far, not sure of all the options though.

Old 09-25-2011, 05:59 PM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 92 Posts

The advice on lowering the seat is well founded. Don't know how the cage was put in so that it is now an issue. Finding a thinner helmet is not advisable to solve this.. What can you save? An inch or so??

However I see that you were looking for an open face helmet.. And that is not advisable. In fact, I got a note from a pending DE that open face helmets are no longer even allowed. Get a full face helmet regardless of what you do..

Last edited by dan212; 09-25-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:03 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Open face? Not a very good idea. Arai helmets have some the smallest OD of any helmet I have tried. You may want to look there. If you can get one.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:22 PM
NZ951
Race Director

I have a full face helmet right now, not sure what the issue is with it? Rally guys have been using them for years in FIA events, isnt WRC open faced as well? I can see the advantages with broken glass etc, but yeah, I dont see it as a big issue...
Old 09-25-2011, 06:52 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 888 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
The seat is tilted back (not sure how you woulod rotate it without modifying the floor pan) and the momo quick release put the wheel close enough, a bit of a stupid suggestion to make an extension to the steering column when you can just get a longer steering wheel hub for a few bucks.

The cage is bult to motorsport specification and as high to the roof as physically possible for that type of car. its a JDM car, not a car for the larger American market.

I really just want to know of a lower profile helmet, which so far, no one has been able to suggest. Looks like Sparco Pro Jet is the most compact I can find so far, not sure of all the options though.

You seem to have all the answers and everyone is either stupid or wrong. Why did you bother asking a question here?

The real answer is to modify your car so you fit, not find some ultra low profile helmet that does not exist. You don't like that answer since you have already had the cage installed and painted the car. Who's fault is it that you did all this without making sure you would fit? Well, that was your mistake. Now pony up and fix it.

Scott
Old 09-25-2011, 07:05 PM
NZ951
Race Director

Originally Posted by winders
You seem to have all the answers and everyone is either stupid or wrong. Why did you bother asking a question here?

The real answer is to modify your car so you fit, not find some ultra low profile helmet that does not exist. You don't like that answer since you have already had the cage installed and painted the car. Who's fault is it that you did all this without making sure you would fit? Well, that was your mistake. Now pony up and fix it.

Scott

Umm no I dont have all the answers, its just I have considered the alternatives, and I am just afer a slightly lower profile helmet, but do I know I dont have to cut a hole in my floor and rebuild the cage and repaint the car and spend $6000+to fix the problem a $800 helmet will fix. I only need another 10mm of clearance, which could easily and quickly be resolved by looking for a lower profile helmet. You think all helmets are the same which I find odd. As I already mentioned I bothered to ask the question about getting a lower profile helmet, which you dont have any information on, so I wonder why you bothered replying. Thanks to one person though, that did have a suggestion, Paradiase and the Arai helmets, Ill check them out.
Old 09-25-2011, 07:33 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

You only need 10mm of additional clearance? Shave your head. Done.

Quick Reply: Low profile / shallow / thin open face helmet