Sponsored by:

Harry's Lap Timer + iPod + Tom Tom

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 07:45 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harry's Lap Timer + iPod + Tom Tom

I tried Harry's with a current generation iPod Touch and the Tom Tom Car Kit for the first time this past weekend. I could not get it to work and am hoping that someone might have an idea what I was doing wrong.

I had the track loaded from the Harry's application and verified through the application that GPS satellites were being tracked. I pushed the "Go" button while on the grid immediately before entering the track. All it did was count time for the entire session; it never recognized any laps. I tried the video button which said that the video would start when I crossed the start finish line, but it never would start. I reloaded the track (TWS Clockwise) just to make sure that there was not an issue with a corrupt file, but got the same not working result.

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 09-22-2011, 10:05 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

My Harry's App is the new updated version and I also use it with the Tom Tom cradle with my iPod4. This last weekend everyone at the track (Sebring) was getting error messages. It did track some of my laps but not all of them...odd stuff again! I've hardly ever gotten Harry's to work flawlessly and always get some error happening or the start finish line is not correct or it shut's off and so forth. When it does work though it is a cool simple lap timming app.
Old 09-22-2011, 01:25 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've used the app at TWS before, and each time it worked flawlessly. But this past weekend I had the exact same problem. It worked fine early on Saturday, but then I could never get it to trigger on the start/finish line. The only thing that got it working again on Sunday was to entirely delete all of the prior laps, and reload the TWS CW configuration from the database. Although I was able to restore functionality, it does bother me that the root cause is unknown. FWIW, this was the first time I had tried to use an external GPS receiver (bad Elf).

Were you publishing your laps to the server? I noticed two other users were publishing in other run groups (TCH in blue, and JAG in red). Were either of those your car?
Old 09-22-2011, 03:16 PM
DCP
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ervtx
I've used the app at TWS before, and each time it worked flawlessly. But this past weekend I had the exact same problem. It worked fine early on Saturday, but then I could never get it to trigger on the start/finish line. The only thing that got it working again on Sunday was to entirely delete all of the prior laps, and reload the TWS CW configuration from the database. Although I was able to restore functionality, it does bother me that the root cause is unknown. FWIW, this was the first time I had tried to use an external GPS receiver (bad Elf).

Were you publishing your laps to the server? I noticed two other users were publishing in other run groups (TCH in blue, and JAG in red). Were either of those your car?
I had car problems and did not run Saturday morning. Maybe I missed my chance. I tried it Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning and never got it to work. I reloaded the track Saturday night (needed a wifi). First time use with this hardware so I had no laps I could erase.

I never got any laps to records so I did not publish results.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:39 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I experienced the problems Mike said last weekend at Sebring. Someone told me that I need an external GPS antenna...
Old 09-23-2011, 10:05 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Falcondrivr, the Tom Tom kit that DCP is using is an external GPS solution, so that is not the cause of DCP's issue. However, you might consider getting one anyway since it will improve the accuracy of the data logging. FWIW, stick to Harry's recommended GPS solutions (see his website) as they are not all equally "open" to all of the functions within Lap Timer Pro. For example, I am using bad Elf, but it does not allow Lap Timer Pro's "satellites" function to work.

Harry just published an update, so perhaps this will address some of our problems. Of the fixes mentioned in the change log, this one looked like it might be related to the problems I was having:

- Allow mixing manual and automatic timing (like version 13.4 and before)

I'll try it out this weekend at MotorSport Ranch.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:11 PM
gab997
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue as well last weekend at Sebring, using Uphone 3GS and Tom Tom. I do recal that there was an update from the app store and updated before last weekend event. Possibly could be the culprit?
Old 09-23-2011, 10:50 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I've used Harry's Lap Timer at a few events so far. At NJMP Thunderbolt, it worked pretty much flawlessly. There were 1-2 laps that it didn't trigger on, but I got good data and video for most of my runs. At Watkins Glen, I had some trouble getting the app to trigger at start/finish (some of that was user error) but car trouble prevented me from really finding a solution. At Lime Rock, it triggered for most runs, and I got some good video and data.

Overall, I've been very happy with the app - for $15, it's pretty hard to beat the quality of video and information that it gets.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:23 AM
Sysgen
Drifting

Just a little note that you do not have to press anything when getting on the track, open the app, click the Agreement, and that's it, you do not need to press anything. Anytime it will cross the start/finish line it will start automatically no matter where you are in the application.

Confirmed by the maker of the app.

Quick Reply: Harry's Lap Timer + iPod + Tom Tom