Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 07:25 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMiller
Got the email notification for tonight -- I think that's a good idea. I don't know that track at all so I'll be sitting this out this week but if there are tracks I know on the schedule I'll try to get in there.
Lots of lefts and a couple big radius rights, one chicane. I think what I like about Daytona is it's simplicity.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:28 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Plenty of practice time before Quali and Race - I think you should join! The more the merrier.
Old 12-27-2017, 07:39 PM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Got the email notification for tonight -- I think that's a good idea. I don't know that track at all so I'll be sitting this out this week but if there are tracks I know on the schedule I'll try to get in there.
Same boat as me and I am learning the Porsche as well. Figured it would just be fun to be out there with other people. Come on...
Old 12-27-2017, 08:15 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

You guys had talked me into it and then I realized I never bought the new car after it was released. So, yeah, not going racing in a car I've never driven on a track I don't know. Might see if I can watch tonight though. Definitely want to get into it more this winter.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:09 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 104 Posts

Woohoo, what a fun time that was! It's been so long since I've completed a race after the video card problems then the basement renovations. I was feeling the rust mostly in competing with Kevin. My times were good, but I felt like I was more nervous being close to other cars again. Kevin had a solid drive, but I think my tires held up a bit better for the end of the race. I just couldn't make a move and have it stick. Mostly ill-timed attempts and good awareness from Kevin not letting me get away with sloppy passes. The damned rev limiter sure cuts the effectiveness of the draft.
Old 12-28-2017, 11:16 AM
Paul Solk
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
Woohoo, what a fun time that was! It's been so long since I've completed a race after the video card problems then the basement renovations. I was feeling the rust mostly in competing with Kevin. My times were good, but I felt like I was more nervous being close to other cars again. Kevin had a solid drive, but I think my tires held up a bit better for the end of the race. I just couldn't make a move and have it stick. Mostly ill-timed attempts and good awareness from Kevin not letting me get away with sloppy passes. The damned rev limiter sure cuts the effectiveness of the draft.
That was great, I sat there for like 10 minutes after I wrecked out watching you two go at it! I thought you were going to get him at the end but the bus stop was your nemesis!
It was great fun to sit back and watch in 4k though LOL.

Also, wow do I suck!!
Old 12-28-2017, 11:25 AM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

Is there any way to watch this after the fact, if I don't yet have I racing? Youtube perhaps?
Old 12-28-2017, 01:49 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Here is last night's race.

As usual the camera is set to "Most Exciting" to let the computer decide who gets focus (seems to follow whoever has a close battle or has an accident.)

Last night's video is mostly the Kevin and Justin show (LOL) but they had a good battle it seems. Especially loved the side-by-side action going down into T1.... #*****!

Camera angles are done by "Istvan" - see "Cameras for Gourmets" thread in the iR forum. These are close to the "real" Daytona24 cams.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:00 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

A quick note about networking and latency... it's a good idea to keep the "F" screen up while you run. It shows things like "Latency" and "Skew" which light up if your PC is having issues keeping a constant connection to iRacing servers.

When these issues pop up, your car will "blink" in and out for others (and likely THEIR cars will also "blink" for you!) It makes it hard to race tight because the car will actually *disappear* from the other person's PC... and if they happen to be occupying the SAME exact space as your car when your car re-appears... boom. Collision.

Sometimes a router reboot will fix it. Also pay attention to other network usage. I ran into issues where my son would queue up Netflix streaming right when I'd fire up the simulator - the network traffic was giving me issues. If the other household members won't honor the "ease up on the heavy streaming" while racing there are ways to configure routers to give your machine priority over others on the network.

Monitor during practice, then adjust so when you race, it's solid.
Old 12-28-2017, 03:07 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

If anybody happens to be off work today - I just threw up a 60 min hosted practice session at Homestead A (next week's track).
Old 12-28-2017, 06:47 PM
krautcars
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
Was good racing you Justin. Nice to race without having to worry about if the person is going to intentionally knock you out; same with Jim.

The bus stop was killing me. I felt solid everywhere else, but just could not hit the bus stop solid for life of me. I better work on that for next time, otherwise Jim will walk away from us again. I don't why, but that one time I didn't try blocking the inside line going down the front straight and you got me. I figured the best I could do was put on the pressure right away since I felt good in that section. Was the same thing last week for me too. Some sections I was really solid and would gain ground on Jim, and there be other sections where he close that gap up that I just opened. I need to get more solid through the whole track; easier said then done.

The Porsche felt more at home at this track compared to Mid-Ohio, but Justin's tires definitely seemed to be in better shape at the end of the race then mine. Next week should be interesting as I have zero experience with Homestead. Good fun though. Nice not having to worry about your PR and safety rating as well; though from the results I see we all kept the incidents really low.
Old 12-28-2017, 06:56 PM
krautcars
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Here is last night's race.

As usual the camera is set to "Most Exciting" to let the computer decide who gets focus (seems to follow whoever has a close battle or has an accident.)

Last night's video is mostly the Kevin and Justin show (LOL) but they had a good battle it seems. Especially loved the side-by-side action going down into T1.... #*****!

Camera angles are done by "Istvan" - see "Cameras for Gourmets" thread in the iR forum. These are close to the "real" Daytona24 cams.
Thanks for posting Jim. Always fun to go back and watch the race. Except, when watching it you, go I was working a lot harder then it shows on on the outside. You walked away from us. Justin and I will have to do better to make sure you're part of the action.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:12 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man this thread is really making me wish I hadn't let my membership lapse.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:52 PM
DTMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 336 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
Man this thread is really making me wish I hadn't let my membership lapse.
I got a 50% off renewal code in my email just before Christmas.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:53 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a 50% off renewal code in my email just before Christmas.
Same, for NEW accounts not renewals.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread