Notices
E/SIM Racing For discussion and info on iRacing, SIMs etc.

Rennlist iRacing thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 03:03 PM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 01-27-2017, 03:55 PM
duglas63
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
I jumped in a session at Daytona night. Still learning the car, but it felt pretty good after some setup tweaking. Way less front brakes made a big difference. Ended up running a 1:46.07 (no draft) which I think was a pretty good lap time based on the Aliens in the session.
I was in that session with you also Justin. I wasn't as fast as you, but pretty consistent by the end of the session. The car handled real well at Daytona, especially surprised with turn 1. As long as you get majority of your braking done early the car handles extremely well.

The host organized some group driving, he called it a "pit party". It was quite fun driving with a group of 5-6 guys, if we got too far apart we would reset.
Old 01-27-2017, 04:23 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by duglas63
I was in that session with you also Justin. I wasn't as fast as you, but pretty consistent by the end of the session. The car handled real well at Daytona, especially surprised with turn 1. As long as you get majority of your braking done early the car handles extremely well.

The host organized some group driving, he called it a "pit party". It was quite fun driving with a group of 5-6 guys, if we got too far apart we would reset.
Turn 1 is a punishing turn in the cup car. It's so easy to go for a little later braking and then lock up the front left and totally blow the apex. Playing it safe actually yielded better lap times. The car felt great to me everywhere if I could keep the tires from locking. I kept moving the brake balance forward and it kept getting better... but at the expense of risk. Locking the rears is treacherous and very hard to recover from.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:37 PM
caymannyc
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are any of you running iRacing with the Oculus? I got all setup and did a few test runs, everything was fine until I tried doing some laps on the Ring. I won my first race there but I almost barfed after lap 1 and laps 2-3 were just me trying to hold on without passing out from dizziness. I have no problem on the Rift when doing normal activities or watching some of the VR experiences.

Any recommendations on what settings I need to change?
Old 01-27-2017, 05:43 PM
JustinL
Drifting

There's a bunch of guys using the rift. The most important thing is to make sure you're computer can maintain the minimum frame rate. You get sick from a mismatch in what your head is doing vs. what your vision is seeing. If there is lag, or motion judder, your vestibular system is going to let you know.

There's also the lack of acceleration that your eyes are telling your inner ear that you should be feeling. This mismatch can also cause motion sickness and that's just a function of simulating fast motion in a stationary sim. The only thing you can really do about that is to keep exposing yourself to it. It will suck, but you can train motion sickness out of yourself.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:44 PM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Take some motion sickness meds the next few times you play, then try without after 3 or 4 times.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:39 PM
duglas63
Track Day

I got really sick at first also. Before iRacing supported the CV1, the only game I could play was project cars and that was bad. iRacing its 100% better for me. Like Justin says, the sickness will go away after awhile.

I upgraded my graphics card and that helped a lot. Its funny when I have people try my setup at my house they get sick pulling out of pit lane. I think its because they are too focused on the fine details (blades of grass, cracks on the road). After awhile you are just focused on racing, and not trying to inspect the VR world of its flaws.
Old 01-27-2017, 07:43 PM
duglas63
Track Day

Originally Posted by caymannyc
Are any of you running iRacing with the Oculus? I got all setup and did a few test runs, everything was fine until I tried doing some laps on the Ring. I won my first race there but I almost barfed after lap 1 and laps 2-3 were just me trying to hold on without passing out from dizziness. I have no problem on the Rift when doing normal activities or watching some of the VR experiences.

Any recommendations on what settings I need to change?
Take a look in the forums under the page listed below. I did most of that, but I cant say for sure it helped since I didn't have much to go by at the time I changed it.

Technical & Help Forums/Virtual Reality/2016 CV1 Iracing setup guide

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/po...t/3489433.page
Old 01-27-2017, 08:31 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 167 Posts

I got a little nauseous at first when I went to triple monitors. I got over that pretty quickly but I'm sure the Rift would give me problems.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:14 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Damn you iRacing. I never particularly wanted a cup car before. The kids can get by in community collage right?
Old 01-30-2017, 08:14 AM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We have a Rift and Vive here at the office and I still prefer a single 4k screen. I recommend triples if you have the space.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:27 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
Damn you iRacing. I never particularly wanted a cup car before. The kids can get by in community collage right?
Bah... college is very rapidly becoming overrated anyways... but that's a topic for RLOTPC forum lol.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:13 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
I jumped in a session at Daytona night. Still learning the car, but it felt pretty good after some setup tweaking. Way less front brakes made a big difference. Ended up running a 1:46.07 (no draft) which I think was a pretty good lap time based on the Aliens in the session.
That's fast. That had to be non-default weather.

I just did a session, default weather but "morning", and squeaked a few high 48's, best being a 48.8 with an ideal of 48.5.

Really struggling with missed downshifts. Screws up my consistency. Sometimes it goes down, sometimes not.

I have all the aids turned off. Seems the actual car has some kind of blipper but it's not enough to be smooth all by itself - I need to do some heel/toe to get it smoothed out. But it misses. A LOT.

Gotta get that figured out.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:59 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
That's fast. That had to be non-default weather.

I just did a session, default weather but "morning", and squeaked a few high 48's, best being a 48.8 with an ideal of 48.5.

Really struggling with missed downshifts. Screws up my consistency. Sometimes it goes down, sometimes not.

I have all the aids turned off. Seems the actual car has some kind of blipper but it's not enough to be smooth all by itself - I need to do some heel/toe to get it smoothed out. But it misses. A LOT.

Gotta get that figured out.
I'm sure it wasn't default weather. It seemed fast to me too, that's why I always try to judge against some of the racers that I know are faster than me.

I always blip my shifts coming down through the gear box, but I'm a left foot braker so it's really easy. The gear box will refuse a shift if it will put the engine over the red line and the space between 5-6 is quite big so you've got to get it solidly into the lower RPMs to get the shift to happen.
Old 01-31-2017, 03:02 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

I must have driven Barber before on iRacing since I own it but I don't remember a damn thing. Trying to figure out the car and the track at the same time is a challenge.

Quick Reply: Rennlist iRacing thread