RePlay XD 1080P Cameras in stock at OG Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
I could not find an optional Lanc to Traqmate or a hard wire kit on their website. Do they make these?
If it had LANC, I'd be all over it. I'm using a Sony with LANC connected to Traqmate right now. I love the integration of it. Turn on Traqmate, and as soon as it gets GPS lock, the camera comes on. Turn off Traqmate, camera goes off. But I'm not all that thrilled with the Sony camera itself.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:59 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
If it had LANC, I'd be all over it. I'm using a Sony with LANC connected to Traqmate right now. I love the integration of it. Turn on Traqmate, and as soon as it gets GPS lock, the camera comes on. Turn off Traqmate, camera goes off. But I'm not all that thrilled with the Sony camera itself.
This is why I have not bought one. They are a lot larger than I want. I have a Aiptek and forget to turn it on way to often. Dual bullet camera would be great.

Does the Sony automatically start recording? At what moment? I usually turn on the Traqmate in the paddock while running through flight check proceedures.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:43 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by paradisenb
This is why I have not bought one. They are a lot larger than I want. I have a Aiptek and forget to turn it on way to often. Dual bullet camera would be great.

Does the Sony automatically start recording? At what moment? I usually turn on the Traqmate in the paddock while running through flight check proceedures.
The Sony automatically starts recording when Traqmate gets GPS lock. Automatically stops when you stop the session. The camera's a bit bigger than I would like, but the big issue I have with it is that it puts out interlaced, .mts files that my Mac doesn't like much, and that need to be deinterlaced to look decent.

I want a 1080p bullet cam that runs on car power, outputs .mov file format, uses LANC, doesn't have the fisheye lens affect that some bullet cams have, and costs less than $300. Oh, and can it transfer files quickly and wirelessly to my computer please?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:00 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I have the smarty cam hooked into the pista, it's primary draw back is that it starts when you turn on the motor. In stand alone it starts after you reach a preset speed. You would have to ask the experts how it correlates with the traqmate but it has several built in features, like gps, track mapping, g measurement, etc. Might be an option.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:06 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Mike-

I use the TraqMate/ChaseCam integrated solution, and I agree with you- I like everything about it (auto-on, linked video to the playback and data, etc) except for the lousy video quality. I have the camera mounted on the roll cage, and get good visibility of the interior, but the outside view, while adequate, is not sharp, and I get lots of washout because of the inside/outside contrast, especially on sunny days. Can't read the number on a car right in front of me, for example. What model is the Sony you use? Are there other, better cameras that plug right in to the ChaseCam system? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:08 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MRW
Mike-

I use the TraqMate/ChaseCam integrated solution, and I agree with you- I like everything about it (auto-on, linked video to the playback and data, etc) except for the lousy video quality. I have the camera mounted on the roll cage, and get good visibility of the interior, but the outside view, while adequate, is not sharp, and I get lots of washout because of the inside/outside contrast, especially on sunny days. Can't read the number on a car right in front of me, for example. What model is the Sony you use? Are there other, better cameras that plug right in to the ChaseCam system? Thanks in advance.
I'm using the Sony HDR-CX110. As I understand it, any Sony camera that has LANC will work. Also, Canon cameras with Control-L may also work with Traqmate. I'd go with a Canon but for the expense.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:13 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Do you record to a card in the camera, or in the ChaseCam?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:15 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MRW
Do you record to a card in the camera, or in the ChaseCam?
I record to an SD card in the camera. Download from there via USB. Sony sells a kit to hook up to the car's 12v power so you don't have to worry about your battery going dead. The power kit though involves a fairly large power "brick".
Old 09-23-2011, 01:18 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Got it, thanks. The lipstick camera that came with ChaseCam is powered through the ChaseCam, and the card is in the device, so it's a no muss or fuss arrangement. Guess I just need to find a better lipstick camera that's compatible. Have emailed TraqMate, but no reply.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 149 Likes on 95 Posts

We received word from Stable Imagining this morning regarding the hardwire adapter. They said the tooling is done and the first units are scheduled for delivery in 2 weeks.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 09-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

The Replay looks like a great camera and the water resistance is key. Standard camcorders will not survive a rainy race weekend as I've unfortunately discovered.

Originally Posted by MRW
I like everything about it except for the lousy video quality.
Mike can you show us an example of this lousy video quality?
Old 09-23-2011, 05:24 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris for comparison here is a some footage from the Counter HD from a race in July. The new Stable Imaging camera is a little better than this and more compact (very much the same as the Counter HD plus that just came out). I should have some footage from the SIS camera at our next data weekend. We are bringing a half a dozen SIS cameras to put in cars for the weekend.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:54 PM
MRW
Rennlist Member

Mike can you show us an example of this lousy video quality?[/QUOTE]

Sure- try this link.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:54 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, here's a reasonable comparison. Same track, same day, different cars:

Replay XD1080

Contour

Biggest obvious difference is the exposure control on the ReplayXD does a better job of balancing the interior/exterior lighting [we tried all exposure settings on each camera and the best settings are used here]

If you really want to see the full picture, download the videos from each Vimeo page and compare them in full resolution rather than the Flash versions.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:58 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 759 Likes on 383 Posts

Tony,

What settings are you using on the Replay XD1080?

Thanks,

Scott

Quick Reply: RePlay XD 1080P Cameras in stock at OG Racing