Sponsored by:

NASA Nationals Report Requested

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011 | 06:36 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default NASA Nationals Report Requested

If you were there, please report on the GTS Challenge national championship race.
Old 09-11-2011 | 07:37 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Baus, Giere, Milligan in GTS 1 Good, Waite, Ward in GTS 2 Deason, ?, Berkowitz in GTS 3 is all I cam recall at this point! I am exhausted...
Old 09-11-2011 | 09:40 PM
TroyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://www.mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=711986
Old 09-11-2011 | 10:00 PM
JClark
Instructor

Originally Posted by bgiere
Baus, Giere, Milligan in GTS 1 Good, Waite, Ward in GTS 2 Deason, ?, Berkowitz in GTS 3 is all I cam recall at this point! I am exhausted...
GTS3 = Smith, Deason, Berkowitz.
Old 09-11-2011 | 10:22 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Viking we're all awaiting your report.
Old 09-11-2011 | 11:15 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I saw the Mylaps but it begs the question as to what all happened. How did the GTS4 winner lap the entire GTS4 class? Etc... This Inquiring mind wants to know.
Old 09-11-2011 | 11:39 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by John H
Yeah, I saw the Mylaps but it begs the question as to what all happened. How did the GTS4 winner lap the entire GTS4 class? Etc... This Inquiring mind wants to know.
????? Top 6 GTS4 cars all did 22 laps.
Old 09-12-2011 | 12:40 AM
Sterling Doc
Rennlist Member

There was a brief shower at the start of the race. Some guys gambled on wet tires, and lost, like Chris Streit in GTS-4
Old 09-12-2011 | 06:14 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by Sterling Doc
There was a brief shower at the start of the race. Some guys gambled on wet tires, and lost, like Chris Streit in GTS-4
And Eric Wong (on intermediates). They worked awesome for a few laps though
Old 09-12-2011 | 09:37 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by magnetic1
And Eric Wong (on intermediates). They worked awesome for a few laps though
Did you groove those A6's that much, or did they just drop off from heat?
Old 09-12-2011 | 10:45 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

I was spotting for Ralf Lindackers in GTS 4 at the Carousel, we also had spotters at the Madness/S turn complex as well as the Keyhole.

As everyone is aware, the results are not yet posted.

We made the choice to go with slicks, keeping tire wamers on until the 5 minute to go mark.

There were several spins and minor impacts at the carousel in the first few laps. Dan Nelson GTS3 993 spun from on lap one taking him out of podium contention. Scott Good GTS@ was clipped and spun and furiously fought back for the win.

GTS4 - Our man, Ralf driving an ex koni 996 worked his way up from 6th to 3rd in the first few laps only to suffer from an apparant valve spring failure and was down on power. During our post race debrief, I learned that Jay Matus and Randy Mueller came together very hard (I think it was under the Honda Bridge). It is my understanding that it was under review. I think Jay was the winner. Chris Streit, on rain tires appeared suffer greatly until the right rear failed. One GTS5 cup car apparntly made the same call on tires and was circuiting the track as rolling chicane, they should have black flagged him.

GTS3 - Pole sitter Korey Deason and former national Champion Scott Berkowitz had a furious battle for second. Coming out of turn 12 on to the front straight, Berkowitz put is rear wheel on the grass and spun to a stop, facing the wrong way on the front straight. I don't know how the winner, Josh ended up in front.

GTS2 - Scott Good did a great job of putting his head down and getting down to it. He had a heck of time getting around Mike Ward and Brad Waite. Mike just did not have enough, his car has been pretty beat up over the last

GTS1 - no idea.
Old 09-12-2011 | 10:50 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Okay rain. My bad, it was the GTS5, GTS3 and GTS2 winners that showed one or two extra laps for the winner. One lap could just be the overall winner being between the class winner and second place...Anyway, I figured something threw a wrench into the race.
Old 09-12-2011 | 12:37 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by disasterman
During our post race debrief, I learned that Jay Matus and Randy Mueller came together very hard (I think it was under the Honda Bridge). It is my understanding that it was under review. I think Jay was the winner.
Thanks so much for that info. The announcers Speed TV or whatever never mentioned much other than Randy was now in first and Jay's car suffered visible damage. I guess we'll find out today who wins GTS4....
Old 09-12-2011 | 12:51 PM
onefastviking
Race Car

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Viking we're all awaiting your report.
Sorry, for the delay. Just flew back into Houston and have a million things to handle from being gone for a week. I will update tonight and it will be a long one.
Old 09-12-2011 | 01:06 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by disasterman
During our post race debrief, I learned that Jay Matus and Randy Mueller came together very hard (I think it was under the Honda Bridge). It is my understanding that it was under review..
I know both guys, so I will just comment on what I saw in impound. Didnt look like any huge damage from coming together very hard. I did not talk to Jay so I dunno his side, but I spoke w/ Randy and it appeared Jay came across the back straight which resulted in some bumper contact. There was another incident coming out of madness where Randy was hit by Jay. Again, I dont know the details, that is just the basics of what I heard.

Looks like for the conditions we had, full soft setup w/ dry tires was the way to go.

Quick Reply: NASA Nationals Report Requested