Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Nationals Report Requested

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011 | 07:32 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Sorry, for the delay. Just flew back into Houston and have a million things to handle from being gone for a week. I will update tonight and it will be a long one.
Can't wait!

I guess there is some major challenging going on. It's a day later and still no official results...
Old 09-12-2011 | 11:24 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

NASA did issue a press release with 'official' results:

http://www.nasachampionships.com/presspop.php?ref=242
Old 09-13-2011 | 12:07 AM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disasterman
During our post race debrief, I learned that Jay Matus and Randy Mueller came together very hard (I think it was under the Honda Bridge). It is my understanding that it was under review. I think Jay was the winner.
Mueller's incar:

http://youtu.be/JwYvzEgUfmE

Not sure really what to say about that move, crossing the track against a car coming full speed....interesting choice. Then 2:22
Old 09-13-2011 | 12:48 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SG_M3
Mueller's incar:

http://youtu.be/JwYvzEgUfmE

Not sure really what to say about that move, crossing the track against a car coming full speed....interesting choice. Then 2:22

I'd have made the same choice in a National Championship race. He had the lead by 3-4 lengths and the line to the outside. At the last second the gold 944 jerked left blocking his line. The middle was already filled so his choice was to brake hard and give up the race, or swing it hard right hoping he could make it there without getting hit which he did. I understand Mueller not liking the move, but I also understand what Jay was facing. I think Mueller would have eventually made the pass no matter what Jay tried as he was obviously hooked up in the rain....
Old 09-13-2011 | 12:56 AM
Surfbum
Rennlist Member

+1^, he had the lead, no where else to go, I would have done the same thing. If I was driving the BMW I wouldn't have expected the leader to park it and let me fly past.
Just my $.02
Old 09-13-2011 | 01:04 AM
onefastviking
Race Car

Sorry guys, it's late and I am exhausted, I want to comment but I want to be sure it is complete and accurate, so I don't want to rush a quick version. Will report soon when I catch up on sleep, probably tomorrow.
Old 09-13-2011 | 09:14 AM
jcrist
AutoX

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I think Mueller would have eventually made the pass no matter what Jay tried as he was obviously hooked up in the rain....
Hooked up in the rain? The track was "damp" in two spots - the keyhole and carousel - for 2 laps. From that point it was bone dry. I have a ruined set of wet Hoosiers to prove it.

You Porsche guys seem to think alike. It was a good move if you want to have the back of your car (the expensive part as far as I can remember) crushed and yourself and your competitor taken out. Randy did well not to punt him inadvertently. Dude obviously went retarded after that in a cloud of red mist and hit Randy at the back side of Madness. The GTS2 Porsche boys were MANY things including FAST, CLASSY, POLITE, WELCOMING and just overall fantastic to be around. A couple of the GTS3 and 4 PCar boys - not so much.. they made the exact same stupid moves once pressured. Those moves included swerving violently back and forth across the track like they were drooling with crap in their pants. Almost like they had never been passed before. I wondered if either of the two I'm thinking of had ever been passed and then passed back? This is apparently a newsflash but if you get passed because you either made a mistake in handling your car or choosing a line through traffic, it's not the end of the world and doesn't mean you have to keep the guy behind you at all cost (including wrecking your and his car). Case in point, the "move" to come all the way across the back straight to block Randy. Dude drove off the track right! From low/reduced speed! Look at his line entering 7. He almost hit the GTS1 car, then hits Randy on the back side of Madness. Drooling, glazed eyes, double handful of **** in his pants. Looks eerily similar to a black and red GTS3 car on Thursday who hit 3 cars on 1 lap. The guy(s) obviously can drive fast to qualify on the front row, but cool under pressure is not a tool in their bags. Maybe time trials?
Old 09-13-2011 | 09:19 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

On the first part, I might have also made the same move. I might also argue that Mueller should have anticipated the possibility of that move happening and been ready to lift to avoid the contact. Kind of like going into T1 after taking the green, you don't just barrell ahead into any gap you see, you have to anticipate the accordian effect and the cars ahead moving into those gaps. Remember, this is a supposed to be a 13/13 series and the passing driver has responsibility for making the pass without contact.

At 2:22, that looked like a retaliation hit. Not saying it was, just saying how it looked on video. Anxious to hear Viking's feedback ....

Overall it is very disappointing to hear about so much contact during the event. Even worse is hearing about the lack of enforcement, which of course leads to more contact. I can't help but think that if a 13 were issued earlier in the weekend some of the other damage would have been avoided.

Oh, and Mueller was FLYING at the end of that race. A very impressive drive!
Old 09-13-2011 | 09:29 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jcrist
Drooling, glazed eyes, double handful of **** in his pants.
Wow, all that while posting on the interweb? Maybe less coffee would be in order?
Old 09-13-2011 | 09:41 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Got to agree, way too much carnage at Nationals this year. I'm sure the wet racing had something to do with it, but many of the hits that I've seen were avoidable.

Speaking of carnage, this thread is going to be a train wreck
Old 09-13-2011 | 09:50 AM
jcrist
AutoX

Originally Posted by jakermc
On the first part, I might have also made the same move. I might also argue that Mueller should have anticipated the possibility of that move happening and been ready to lift to avoid the contact. Kind of like going into T1 after taking the green, you don't just barrell ahead into any gap you see, you have to anticipate the accordian effect and the cars ahead moving into those gaps. Remember, this is a supposed to be a 13/13 series and the passing driver has responsibility for making the pass without contact.
I think we can agree that the resulting gentle bump was borderline miraculous. Just because you get stopped by traffic for guessing the wrong line doesn't mean you can pull across the track like that, unless you want to get hit. It's racing, you don't stop to wait for things to work out. Bottom line, the guy made a bad move and it didn't cost him his and/or Randy's car. But if it did, it would have been his fault.

At 2:22, that looked like a retaliation hit. Not saying it was, just saying how it looked on video. Anxious to hear Viking's feedback ....
retaliation hit in 13/13. And retaliation for what? randy not punting him? I agree with you it was retaliation, just want to focus on why. Enter the lack of mental fortitude.

Overall it is very disappointing to hear about so much contact during the event. Even worse is hearing about the lack of enforcement, which of course leads to more contact. I can't help but think that if a 13 were issued earlier in the weekend some of the other damage would have been avoided.
agreed

Oh, and Mueller was FLYING at the end of that race. A very impressive drive!
agreed

Glad I was in GTS2. Again, Scott, Brad and Mike are great drivers and gentlemen on and off the track.
Old 09-13-2011 | 09:52 AM
jcrist
AutoX

Originally Posted by Lemming
Got to agree, way too much carnage at Nationals this year. I'm sure the wet racing had something to do with it, but many of the hits that I've seen were avoidable.
So much of the carnage was in the dry. The one car offs were bad, and very expensive for the drivers but most of the multi car contact happened in the dry. At least, way too much of that occurred.
Old 09-13-2011 | 09:54 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

The "gold 944" was actually racing for position and was trying to pass the GTS 1 BMW he was battling with. My, I mean his, move was pretty courteous once I saw you guys coming, but I would have completed that pass. Instead I gave it up and waited for another opportunity. We were racing for second place and given that there were only a few laps left I think both GTS 1 cars let you guys through as best as we could.
Old 09-13-2011 | 09:54 AM
jcrist
AutoX

Originally Posted by onefastviking
Sorry guys, it's late and I am exhausted, I want to comment but I want to be sure it is complete and accurate, so I don't want to rush a quick version. Will report soon when I catch up on sleep, probably tomorrow.
I will gladly finish our "conversation" from the drivers meeting regarding the DQ's you were bawling about.
Old 09-13-2011 | 10:00 AM
magnetic1
Racer

I am pretty sure Randy lifted and/or braked to try to avoid contact there. Look at the closing speed before the 911 came across. I think Randy slowed as much as he could and then after the hit he was well out of the throttle.

Quick Reply: NASA Nationals Report Requested