Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

newbie going to 1st DE

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:07 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, good to know they were kidding about tipping the instructors, I was planning on bringing a stack of 20's. My car is brand new (but out of the break-in period), so the GM of the dealership that is sponsoring the event with the local PCA chapter said I don't need to do any tech inspection. I'm going to go by there this weekend and have them check the torque on the wheel bolts and tire pressures anyway. Our event is at Harris Hill Road in San Marcos, TX, supposed to be a fun track.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:49 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

IGNORE THAT ADVICE FROM THE DEALER GUY.

You will be required to present a tech sheet -- or at least every PCA event I've been to over the last 25 years [more than 200 of them] has required this. They will NOT let you on the track unless you have a form filled out by a shop. (some regions let instructors self-tech, but you aren't one.)
Old 09-08-2011, 04:16 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Originally Posted by fhp911
IGNORE THAT ADVICE FROM THE DEALER GUY.

You will be required to present a tech sheet -- or at least every PCA event I've been to over the last 25 years [more than 200 of them] has required this. They will NOT let you on the track unless you have a form filled out by a shop. (some regions let instructors self-tech, but you aren't one.)
I'll check with them. Some spots are for PCA members, some are for invited customers of the dealership, I ended up with one of the dealership's spots because all of the morning ones for PCA were already filled. There was something in the packet sent by the local PCA chapter about making sure tires had adequate tread, certain age limit for tires, brake fluid <2 years old and making sure pad are adequate, but nothing about a tech sheet.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:31 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

From what's written on the Lonhorn PCA website, this is being run a bit differently from a classic DE, so the rules may be different also on the tech sheet. Still a very good idea to check with PCA rather than the dealer to make sure.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:27 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Go buy yourself a nice journal. Write about your 1st DE experience and subsequent others...how you did, how the car felt, etc. At the end of it, write what you would like to work on next time. Keep up with your performance, whether it be entry point on a particular turn, how well you are hitting your apexes, etc. Reflecting on how you drive and being conscious of what you are doing right/wrong will make you better driver, faster. Mainly, have fun.

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 09-08-2011, 05:31 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Originally Posted by mglobe
From what's written on the Lonhorn PCA website, this is being run a bit differently from a classic DE, so the rules may be different also on the tech sheet. Still a very good idea to check with PCA rather than the dealer to make sure.
That may be it, it's called "intro to the track", not a HPDE event. There was nothing about an official tech inspection or form to be filled out in the packet sent by the chapter, but they do have us sign some waivers.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:32 AM
dbrians
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OP here. Lot's of good stuff. Really appreciate the lists from 911FM and APKhaos. It's 4:30am and am heading to Brainerd Int'l Raceway for driver Instruction. Will past track report and pics when I return.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:41 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

As a drummer...I love the Tower of Power ref!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:07 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
As a drummer...I love the Tower of Power ref!
TOP is a singularity. So you're hip?
Old 09-09-2011, 12:03 PM
AtlJimK
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Just relax, soak up all the info/tips, talk to your fellow drivers, definitely ride in an instructors car, more than once....and lastly "drive flatout" JK!

and as mentioned, you will need hide the credit cards as they soon will be maxed out
Old 09-09-2011, 12:45 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
My car is brand new (but out of the break-in period), so the GM of the dealership that is sponsoring the event with the local PCA chapter said I don't need to do any tech inspection. I'm going to go by there this weekend and have them check the torque on the wheel bolts and tire pressures anyway. Our event is at Harris Hill Road in San Marcos, TX, supposed to be a fun track.
You may still need a PCA pre-event Tech, so be sure to confirm.
One of the things you'll discover is that you car actually has hand-of-god brakes lurking under that pedal that you hardly use on the street. Please be sure that you have at least 50% [ideally 100%] brake pad material present. Nothing worse than really enjoying your first track experience only to find that your brakes are used up on the first day.

TOP rules!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

someone to help with tires and tire pressures ...
Attached Images  
Old 09-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
someone to help with tires and tire pressures ...
You could go through a lot of rubber with that.

Quick Reply: newbie going to 1st DE