The Robin Hood Rally

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 04:27 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default The Robin Hood Rally

Finally, a venue by which Kibort and VR (or anyone else for that matter) can match skills against each other while the rest of us watch on TV.

The Robin Hood Rally is a Reality TV show that will air in the Fall of 2010 on ABC. 10 road courses. 1st place is a Ferrari F430. They're looking for participants now. First come first serve to sign up for an interview/screening to pick 100 drivers. Drive your own car. $1000 to sign up (refundable if not picked). Another $4000 if picked.

OMG, will someone from RL please enter this race??!!! Surely we have amongst us someone who could take the prize! (Unfortunately, professionals will not be allowed to participate; not sure how they would classify you, VR).

Old 01-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

LOL! I am sure having a valid FIA license would disqualify me...but if someone wants to put up the $5k, I will try anyway!

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 01-02-2010, 04:39 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm.... we could probably get you a fictitious identity for less than that.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Hmmm.... we could probably get you a fictitious identity for less than that.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-11-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:20 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just received a post card in the mail today inviting me to sign up as a participant.
I threw it out assuming it was a scam of some sort...
Old 01-02-2010, 09:29 PM
NAO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There ia a member of this board who is doing it.He got conformation last week
Old 01-02-2010, 10:41 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
I just received a post card in the mail today inviting me to sign up as a participant.
I threw it out assuming it was a scam of some sort...
Same here, but decided to check their website. Looked legit.

Then I threw it out assuming that an attempt to qualify would be received as a scam!

Originally Posted by NAO
There ia a member of this board who is doing it.He got conformation last week
OK! That's what I'm talking about. So, now we know it's a guy, and not a girl .... Any other details???
Old 01-03-2010, 01:18 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what, are u not supposed to reveal your online identify or they'll disqualify u or something?

so....u bring yer own souped up car and road rally it? i wonder what car would be penalized the least....it's like trying to build a car for a competition that u don't know the rules to.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:56 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Do you get your $1000 deposit back if they do not accept you? Never heard of having to give a deposit to audition for a TV show...weird!
Old 01-03-2010, 04:12 AM
krystar
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea faq says $1000 is refunded if yer not picked.

but i don't get it....why would u have to pay $5000 to get into a tv show....
Old 01-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Streak
Perfect Angel
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 81 Posts

We could prolly argue this all day but how would the organizers weight an F430 to make it equal in performance to a 1.6 litre Miata?

Ain't gonna happen. Don't see how they can make all cars equal. Weight is only one factor. Seems like the guy who shows up with the fastest car is gong to win even accounting for skill variations.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:08 AM
mdrums
Race Director

This is a Pilot TV show filming. NBC has not picked it up yet. I will look more into it during next week.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:19 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,660 Likes on 771 Posts

Cool idea and seems legid, but it seems very dangerous in stock cars on public roads?

Safety specs similar to those required for a Marque Club (Porsche, Ferrari, BMW), NASA, SCDA, or PDA Driver Education (DE) event at high speed on a closed race course such as Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock Park, etc. are one thing on a race track, but on the road, it will be interesting to see the crashes. I will be watching it on TV for sure ;-)

I think I would prefer something line onelapofamerica.com on tracks..

From FAQ's:
What are the criteria to be a participant?

If you have some reasonable driver skill, a reliable and sporty vehicle (does not have to be exotic), and you have that "spark of humanity" then you may be a participant. Interest in everything car related goes without saying.

What if I wreck my car?
You may substitute another car that is approved by the Robin Hood Rally.

Are race cars/unregistered cars allowed?
Yes, but remember these are public roads and we will be applying a weighted average to your time. If you have a Spec Miata this will have little impact on you, but if you want to compete in a Ferrari 430 Challenge Car this will have more impact. These are public roads so you may destroy your race car (clearance) on the course due to bumps in the asphalt or other road going hazards.

What information do you need about my vehicle?
We need the weight and nominal horsepower along with the make, model, and any modifications that increase horsepower.

Will drivers be require to have a helmet, race suit, gloves, suitable footwear, etc.?
Yes, a helmet with a Snell Rating is required, along with a suitable race suit, gloves, footwear, etc. Shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops are not suitable attire for participants.

Will my vehicle be required to be equipped with a safety cage, roll bar, or roll over protection?
No, if your vehicle is a factory non-retractable hard-top. Yes, if your vehicle is a convertible or a retractable hard-top. If you plan to participate in a convertible or retractable hard-top vehicle it will be required to have factory rollover protection or a roll bar.

Will my vehicle require restraints other than a stock three point safety belt?
No, as long as your vehicles OEM safety system has not been substantially modified, i.e. the airbag removed. If the OEM equipment has been substantially modified or removed, i.e. you took out the airbag or other OEM safety equipment and it is effectively a race/track car, then yes it will be required to have a racing harness or other suitable belts.

Will my vehicle be required to have other safety equipment like a fire extinguisher?
No, as long as your vehicles OEM safety system has not been substantially modified, i.e. the airbag or interior removed. If the OEM equipment has been substantially modified or removed, i.e. you took out the airbag, interior, or other OEM safety equipment and it is effectively a race/track car, then Yes it will be required to have a fire extinguisher.

What are your safety specifications, for both car and driver?
Similar to those required for a Marque Club (Porsche, Ferrari, BMW), NASA, SCDA, or PDA Driver Education (DE) event at high speed on a closed race course such as Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Lime Rock Park, etc.

What kind of insurance does the Robin Hood Rally have?
The Robin Hood Rally caries substantial liability insurance for our company and we require all participants to sign our Participant Agreement and subsequent liability waivers at each site they visit. These waivers are similar to Driver Education events.

Is this an all-out best time or an actual rally where we are trying to hit a specific time?
This competition is an all out race rally style against the clock. It is effectively a time trail with a staggered start for each vehicle.

I am a serious competitor and I want to know if this is a serious race?
This race and competition is awarding prizes in excess of $500,000. You can't get more serious than that.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:01 AM
mdrums
Race Director

I can not find anything about this show in development for any TV network. I have never heard of having to pay to audition for a TV show. I am not saying this is a scam but it reads like someone has this idea and is looking for money to front it and pay for pre-production costs. Then they will try to sell it to a TV network either in the USA or elsewhere.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/devwat...eality&studio=
Old 01-03-2010, 11:29 PM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I chucked the card after reading the website. i figure it for a scam. Sounds like the deposits might fund the filming. $100g off the bat with the 100 "possibles". I also looked at the roads they want to use and i really have doubts they are going to get the Taconic Parkway closed so they can have speed contests on it. its a state road and I highly doubt NYS will do it. I also see them using the Tail of the Dragon, which i think they misname. just figuring that if they have made these mistakes and assumptions on closing roads here they are making the same mistakes in other venues and is not a fully sorted out project.

Quick Reply: The Robin Hood Rally