Sponsored by:

newbie going to 1st DE

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:30 AM
dbrians
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default newbie going to 1st DE

Heading to my first DE weekend w/ training on Friday. What are the 'need-to-know's'? And pls send an answer to this stmt: "hay newbie, don't forget to bring your _______". I know I'm stepping into it with this open-ended question, so pls be kind and gentle. It's my first track day and I don't want to do something dumb. PS: yes, I just bought helmet, gloves and shoes.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:34 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

"hay newbie, don't forget to bring your _desire to listen, learn and have some fun_"

Something to put your stuff in, a folding chair, sunscreen, a tire pressure guage and plenty of $20 bills to tip your instructor after each run. <joke

Last edited by kurt M; 09-08-2011 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Do not tip your instructor. Best gift by far is to listen.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Besides the $20s which are always appreciated, do exactly what you are doing - keep an open mind and ASK QUESTIONS. Don't be afraid to have your instructor explain everything to you. You are building a foundation of skill and knowledge, and the better the foundation..............
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Bring some pants! I just went to the Glen for the first time on Labor day and long pants are required ... BTW, you should create a list of all of the stuff you will be bringing with you and update as you go along. Before you know it, you'll need a 24' trailer for all you stuff. Have a great time and listen to your instructor, these guys are priceless.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:19 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Bring your skis, because you're headed for a slippery slope.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:24 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Give your wallet to your wife and tell her to go to the mall and have a blast...it's cheaper too.

Like others have said just go with an open mind, no ego, listen and ask questions...any question, none are stupid questions.

Look at the track map and watch some in car video's, look at the section on flags and learn those.

You're gonna have a blast!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:26 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I see you have PDK...perfect.....Just put it in Sport or Sport Plus mode and leave it in drive...PDK will shift for you, perfectly I might add and you can then concentrate better on the tracks driving line, brake zones and other car traffic.

...seriously...Sport Plus mode and leave it in drive!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

The best thing to do is to bring an open mind willing to listen. The key to being fast and safe on a track is driver skill. The car is merely a tool. The job of the instructor is teach you to number 1 be safe and number two be fast. Really instructors don't teach the fast part, but just let you drive a pace that is safe and comfortable to you. Don't let your ego get brused it a guy in a faded pink 944 fills your mirrors in the turns. Just realize that he or she may have more skills right now. This is nothing to be ashamed of. We all start with different skill level and DE is not a race. It is not about being faster that anyone else or how many passes you make. DE, especially DE1, is about bring the car home safe and sound while having some fun. If you scare yourself on track slow down.

If go in with an open mind willing to listen and you do listen to your instructor you will have a good time. If you go in with a mindset of knowing what you are doing and expectation of greatness it may not be any fun at all.

As for actual things to bring.
Full tank of gas, water, food, chair, long pants. Check tire pressures and brake pad thickness before you go. Don't come to track on worn down tires and thin pads. Take most of crap out of the car and leave it home. Bring a box/crate something for any loose stuff you must bring to the track as you wil need to remove it when on track. Do not expect a "safe" place to keep valuables. Leave them home. However don't worry about normal stuff walking off. Track is a pretty safe place for the most part as 99% of you fellow track day types respect each other's gear. Still don't leave any temptations around either.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:57 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 188 Likes on 161 Posts

Not sure where you're going but bring some extra socks and shoes in case of rain ... nothing worse than spending the day in wet driving shoes !
That and everything Joe mentioned ...

Have fun

Cheers !
Phil
Old 09-07-2011, 10:07 AM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Torque wrench and deep well socket sized to fit lug nut or lug bolt.
Snell approved helmet...see regulations.
Review in-car video of track...a huge help.
Wheel chock...no parking brake used, and car may be paddocked on uneven surface.
Visit HPDE section of web sites of a few other PCA regions.....Northern New Jersey is a good one.
Pray you get a better than average instructor.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glass cleaner and paper towels.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 AM
dan212
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts

Please have FUN!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:44 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrians
"hay newbie, don't forget to bring your _______".
Something to use to number your car? Blue painters tape? dave
Old 09-07-2011, 12:11 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

All of the above is great advise.

As a beginner car prep will really need to be minimal HOWEVER PLEASE make sure you have fresh brake fluid in the car. High temp brake fluid is a plus but please make sure what's in there is completely fresh.

We had an incident at Mid Ohio this past weekend where an individual in the beginner group had the pedal go to the floor and he took out not only himself but another car in the process. We later found out the car had it's OEM brake fluid that was nearly 4 years old still in the car.

Otherwise be prepared to have fun, listen and learn. You're going to have a blast.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
We had an incident at Mid Ohio this past weekend where an individual in the beginner group had the pedal go to the floor and he took out not only himself but another car in the process. We later found out the car had it's OEM brake fluid that was nearly 4 years old still in the car.
I would be concerned as to how this individuals car made it through pre-event tech inspection. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that pre-event tech is for.

Quick Reply: newbie going to 1st DE