BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn that looks like fun.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Turb-OH Brad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was an interesting venue, and the ALMS race was a great GT battle with Porsche coming out on top, so I had a good day watching it.

Even the Indy race was pretty good. Mr. Power put on a stellar show with his gapping to his second pit stop. Spectacular driving, with a bit of luck.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Do you have any idea what Baltimore thinks of this experiment? I'd love to see a report that the benefits outweighed the costs so as support the return of vintage roadracing to Fairmont Park in Philadelphia.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:13 PM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Im not sure "experiment" is the word I would use. Not only did the people of Baltimore put on a fantastic event, every driver, team owner and team worker I spoke to loved it here and they all were looking forward to coming back again next year. The fact that there were a few issues can easily be blaimed on being the first event. Knowing that, Im sure next year will be even better. I was there Friday and Saturday, had to miss Sunday due to my son's birthday, and walked every inch of the facilities numerous times. I can say first hand that I did not hear one complaint that really needs to be addressed aside from the "bumpy track".

I, personally, had a fantastic time as did everyone I was with.... including my wife!!

My .02
Old 09-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

It looks like it was a complete contrast to the one-off DC GP years ago. That event was protested before, during and after, and was killed off almost immediately. We all know what a car town DC is!

It would be great to see the Baltimore event survive and continue, and road racing draw a larger audience.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:34 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

What a great event. Been going to races for 45 years and never was it so easy to get the venue then the Baltimore GP. And the Indy race was remarkable free of yellows, espcially for a street race, think they went almost half the race beofre getting a full course yellow. Teh stands were packed and they gave race great access to the paddock thorughout the weekend. Baltinore did a heckava job. I'll be back for sure.
Attached Images      
Old 09-08-2011, 09:42 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

And more with just browsing around Thursday afternoon on Pratt street saw many a driver cruising the circuit trying to get an ealry look, who did I come across then Bobby Rahal, seen here walking the course, away from me, in plaid shorts, carrying a leather briefcase, and wearing his Gucci loafers with no socks.

The kinda stuff u just dont get on the telecast. Very cool event.
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Plyman438
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Do you have any idea what Baltimore thinks of this experiment? I'd love to see a report that the benefits outweighed the costs so as support the return of vintage roadracing to Fairmont Park in Philadelphia.
Formula 1 racing lasted about 3 years in Downtown Detroit before Detroit and Formula 1 wore out its welcome. First year was fantastic, but by third year it was major pain for city and businesses downtown. That and drivers hated the bumps and tightness even with new sections repaved every year.

CART racing lasted about 5 years as I believe the year the movie "Driven" was filmed in Detroit that was last year. And race was on Belle Isle, 5 miles from Downtown on island in middle of Detroit River, and organized by Roger Penske. Course was completely repaved by Penske and improved in every conceivable way, but down ecomomy doomed that race.

So MI is now down to two NASCAR races at MIS every year and no rumors of IRL showing any interest in bringing race back to Belle Isle, even with Big 3 maybe sponsoring it and Roger Penske and Jack Roush still living in Metro Detroit and still involved in city life.

Long Beach seems to be only city in U.S. that has shown any longevity to road circuit racing along with maybe Miami. Baltimore and Detroit are alike in so many ways. Good luck to Baltimore in keeping a major race going every year for decades as Detroit couldn't do it even with most of the auto manufacturers here along with supplier base as sponsors along with Roger Penske doing hands-on involvement.

Also, good luck to Austin in getting Formula 1 and keeping it year after year. The U.S. should have a permanent home for Formula 1 after the Indianapolis experiment failed. If Canada can stage Formula 1 event year after year, U.S. should be able to do it. I know when Formula 1 was here in Detroit, we got fans from around the country at event.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:07 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/st...winner-indycar

Quick Reply: ALMS Baltimore Gran Prix