Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me get started in PCA racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ I liked the $400.00 version but I too cannot seem to find it. FF its club racing and while it can become very serious, ITS CLUB RACING not the bigs. I enjoy the fellowship and generally clean close racing.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:15 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
$400.00/weekend? Try $2,000.00 to $2,500.00. Entry fees $525.00 - $1000.00 Set of tires $1,200.00 - $1,500.00 or more. Brake pads, rotors, engine wear and tear, fuel, transport, lodging. This is the SHORT LIST.

Thanks for the entry fee info which is what I was looking for

It cost me approx 4k a weekend to instruct in HPDEs driving the RS. Hell my RX7 is 3k a weekend and if you're lucky and don't hit anything racing an SM is 1500 a weekend. I manage a business so I break the cost down DEEP, paper towel and pen type level

Last edited by Fritz Flynn; 08-31-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:24 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be there in October, so come on out!
Old 08-31-2011, 01:34 PM
Bman
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn

It cost me approx 4k a weekend to instruct in HPDEs driving the RS.

so I brake the cost down DEEP, paper towel and pen type level
How much is beer ....... when you don't have the Potomac tub?
Old 08-31-2011, 01:38 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ukrbmw
I'll be there in October, so come on out!
I'll probably be there in either the FD or the RS.

Originally Posted by Bman
How much is beer ....... when you don't have the Potomac tub?
For guys like us it's just incorporated into the fuel bill
Old 08-31-2011, 01:41 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

$400.00/weekend? Try $2,000.00 to $2,500.00. Entry fees $525.00 - $1000.00 Set of tires $1,200.00 - $1,500.00 or more. Brake pads, rotors, engine wear and tear, fuel, transport, lodging. This is the SHORT LIST.
NASA Entry fees are 300 to $400. Heck the 4 day nationals was only $500 if you signed up early.

Seems like PCA is more expensive than NASA.

As for operating costs... This is car dependant. My 944 spec tires are about $800 a set shaved and mounted. I can get 2 set to last a full season and still be compeitive right at the front if my class. Throw in a 3rd set if I am running nationals just be sure am on optimal rubber all weekend. Rotors get replaced very 2 seasons and brake pads maybe 3/4 of a season. Fuel.... I ran last track weekend on 10 gallons of 91 pump gas. It was bit of a short weekend, but still.. make it 20 gallons of pump gas.

So point is racing need not be really expensive. Run slower cheaper car and it may cost less than DE in faster car.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:43 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Don't forget bling for the OL
Old 08-31-2011, 03:44 PM
ukrbmw
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's where it helps when contingencies exist - you can win some tires, pads, other items that help reduce the cost.

And to answer an earlier question again - it's HPDE on steroids!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:45 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Fwiw, I started PCA Racing in a Turbo 3.6. I didn't do much of anything more to the car than what was the bare minimum to race it. You do NOT have to spend $40k to make your car race ready. You may have to spend money to make it race competitive, though. If you don't care about the latter (and, really, who does not?) then come on out and give it a try.

I will wager that if you do give it a try then you will be parking the RS and looking for something else to race.

I cannot agree more with Consolidated's post above. Racing will destroy the value and prestige of your RS. As much as I loved my Turbo 3.6 and thought it was awesome, I sold it before whoring it out for racing simply because once it is a race car, the value, in any car but particularly the special ones like RS' and Turbo 3.6, is lost. There are no virgins in a titty bar...
Old 08-31-2011, 11:57 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
I sold it before whoring it out for racing simply because once it is a race car, the value... is lost. There are no virgins in a titty bar...
Nicely put Charlie.
Old 09-01-2011, 04:17 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the entry fee info which is what I was looking for
I like your sense of humor. You should come around here more often.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:35 AM
TIM COSTA
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BUY MY CAR!! Great class and perfect place to start.
My only race experience is:
SCCA school 2006
2 NASA sm races 2006

However I began going to HPDE events in 2000 and I've been an in car instructor since 2003 instructing with many clubs including many years with FSR and recently Zone 2 and Potomac.

I'm not a PCA member but I am a national PCA instructor member and rennlist member

I assume I'll need to register as a PCA member 1st or can I submit my club race app with a PCA member app?

Find someone to back up my experience and abilities?

Anything else I should do?

Thanks,
Fritz
Old 09-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 104 Posts

An interesting thread to be sure.

I view racing as a continuum... from "participating" in a car that meets safety requirements and your own level of comfort beyond those requirements, to "full out competing" in some class, to trying to win each race in a mixed class event. There is a broad range of required "spend" on this continuum, but the fun quotient does not correlate against these in a linear fashion.. I am not going to assume what is best for someone or what their goals might be. Or what their resources should be or are.

As for the car, rules are in print in terms of requirements, with some things you need requiring simple purchase and simple installation, and others requiring fabrication/customization. I don't know about the original poster's car, but I can pretty much guess that from whatever prep level it has currently, there is a clear path toward minimum requirements, and a further clear path toward what he may feel more comfortable with beyond the basic reqs.

As for getting a license, there are myriad ways to do this. I like the PCA program as the system is excellent and the people are as well.

As always, I am an advocate of getting as much local perspective on this stuff as possible, and in terms of car prep at minimum, working with service providers with extensive experience in amateur and/or pro racing with Porsche cars. The internet is helpful, but represents a small slice of the experience and expertise pie.

As for costs of racing, not everybody buys a new set of tires for each event. There are many, many variables. While how much you can spend is likelyunbounded, how little you can spend is... perhaps well known but not easily studied.

And, as has been pointed out already, there are classes, even in the Porsche world, where cost-containment is at least attempted. For example, the excellent Spec 911 class. Here there are cars that as fresh builds might be well over $100k, and there are some that are less than half that sum,. And they can pretty much compete. And the consumables are generally a lot lower than other Porsche classes.

Good luck, and enjoy the path!

Quick Reply: Help me get started in PCA racing