Old 08-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Help me get started in PCA racing

My only race experience is:
SCCA school 2006
2 NASA sm races 2006

However I began going to HPDE events in 2000 and I've been an in car instructor since 2003 instructing with many clubs including many years with FSR and recently Zone 2 and Potomac.

I'm not a PCA member but I am a national PCA instructor member and rennlist member

I assume I'll need to register as a PCA member 1st or can I submit my club race app with a PCA member app?

Find someone to back up my experience and abilities?

Anything else I should do?

Thanks,
Fritz
Old 08-30-2011, 06:53 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Go the the pca.org website. Under activities you will find Club Racing, under that there is a detailed discussion on Obtaining a License. Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:05 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Are you going to race the green RS?
Old 08-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Are you going to race the green RS?
That's the plan
Old 08-30-2011, 07:32 PM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dave morris
Go the the pca.org website. Under activities you will find Club Racing, under that there is a detailed discussion on Obtaining a License. Good luck and have fun.
Will do.

Thanks!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:58 PM
CCA
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

First, you need to SLOW down.

See you at Tarheel.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
That's the plan
I once looked into racing my RS...one reliable estimate that I got for making it race worthy for PCA was around $40k. Stripping, cage, seats, other safety stuff, suspension, seats, radio, wheels, tires, etc. etc...for a safe and competitive car.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:59 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Fritz Flynn
That's the plan
I would check in which class it would fall into first.

It's not much fun to be the only car in your class.......
Old 08-30-2011, 10:49 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

To get a PCA license, you will need to get your region's CDI to sign off on you.

As far as racing a 997 GT3RS, for the kind of money you would have in it you might as well get a cup car. I'd go SpecBox, Spec996, or E class.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:52 PM
LC MotorSports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must agree with Mike on this one....
Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I race a converted 7GT3 street car that falls into the PCA "mutt" class of GT2R (with slicks). There's not a lot of cars in the class but I'm in the same place on the grid as I would be with a "real" cup car. So the racing is just as fun...and I don't even check what the official results are. Racing is challenging and rewarding so go for it and have fun in the car of your choice.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:14 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
As far as racing a 997 GT3RS, for the kind of money you would have in it you might as well get a cup car. I'd go SpecBox, Spec996, or E class.
Absolutely.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:16 AM
Fritz Flynn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CCA
First, you need to SLOW down.

See you at Tarheel.

Originally Posted by BobbyC
I once looked into racing my RS...one reliable estimate that I got for making it race worthy for PCA was around $40k. Stripping, cage, seats, other safety stuff, suspension, seats, radio, wheels, tires, etc. etc...for a safe and competitive car.
I have the seat and cage and would need susp etc.. to be competitive but for now I'd be interested in just seeing what it's all about and the podium can wait

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I would check in which class it would fall into first.

It's not much fun to be the only car in your class.......
I agree because if it cost 400 a weekend to race, I don't get much track time and there's nobody to race I'll just TT it with NASA.

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I race a converted 7GT3 street car that falls into the PCA "mutt" class of GT2R (with slicks). There's not a lot of cars in the class but I'm in the same place on the grid as I would be with a "real" cup car. So the racing is just as fun...and I don't even check what the official results are. Racing is challenging and rewarding so go for it and have fun in the car of your choice.
I agree it's driving a fun car that gets my juices flowing and although challenging an SM type car is a boring drive.

Originally Posted by mglobe
To get a PCA license, you will need to get your region's CDI to sign off on you.

I could get serious about selling the RS and buy a spec box and go that route but if the RS can be raced without too big of an investment I'd like to give it a go just for the experience and to have a bit more fun with the car than the HPDE setting allows. I don't plan on going racing 1 or 2 times a month but more like 2 or 3 times a year

I'll check on the CDI and see if he knows me.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:24 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 124 Posts

Fritz:
You will need a current PCA membership. You will need a PCA CI to sign off on your license application. Or you could do a NASA or SCCA comp school, complete your rookie race, then apply for a PCA license as an SCCA or NASA comp license holder. To do either comp school the car you use would have to meet their safety requirements, which the cage in your RS will not since it only has single door bars. The downside is that your RS will be in "L" class, in which case you might find yourself as the only driver in class, and in group with GT1-GT3 S and R cars who are turning silly fast lap times.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:54 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,617 Likes on 2,306 Posts

fritz, 40k on top of your RS is a good "ball park" staring figure to get it race ready. probably more than that.

Quick Reply: Help me get started in PCA racing