Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Belgian Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 04:34 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Oh, Patrick. Paaaleeese. Webber, that is Webber, has screwed up so many starts, him getting pole has turned into a complete waste of effort. Once he gets the car going he is driving 2nd or 3rd best on the grid, but he just can't master that one aspect. His attitude yesterday was better than it has been since the beginning of the season. I guess a contract renewal will do that to a driver.
Hey I'm just as disappointed at these starts as the next guy...but these drivers are the best in the world. I just don't believe that any one of them could stuff up the starts so often simply through driver error. It's not like there is a middle pedal and they're 'Kangaroo hopping' off the line. (Couldn't resist the pun). Probably just one of Vettel's mechanics with a remote control pointed at Webber on the start line. 'ZZZZaaaaPPPP'. Instant crap start button activated. I kid, I kid.

I will add that when the safety car came out and many of them took advantage and came in for a tyre change, Webber's radio wasn't working and after repeated requests as to what to do with no reply, he stayed out there to his disadvantage. Then he does possibly the pass of the season on the outside of Alonso through Eau Rouge on lap 9, sets another fastest lap of the race...yet I seem to be Robinson Crusoe when flying the flag for Webber. Here you've got a guy who is coming 2nd in the championship yet he's either rubbished in these threads or just totally left out. So to be branded a Webber apologist or even patriotic may be fair enough, but I believe his skill level deserves far greater respect in here and therefore I shall keep pushing his barrow for as long as he deserves it.

Last edited by 333pg333; 08-30-2011 at 07:06 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:00 AM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Then he does possibly the pass of the season on the outside of Alonso through Eau Rouge on lap 9, sets another fastest lap of the race...
That pass took stones and trust in the guy he was passing. Kudo's to Alonsette for allowing room enough for them both to survive.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:57 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
When I saw the start I thought SATO is BACK!!!!!!!!.
Don't tease me like that
Old 08-30-2011, 09:59 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

[quote=mklaskin;8828759]
Originally Posted by FGL28

Slow down there big guy. I'm not saying that Alonso hasn't made excuses in the past. I'm only suggesting that he was commenting on the timing of the safety car being disadvantageous for him..
^+ 1
When it comes to advantageous safety car periods, you should ALWAYS defer to the law firm of Alonso, Piquet Jr, Symmonds and Briatore ... they pretty much wrote the book.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:03 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Alonso had issues with his last set of tires, but the safety car did help Vettel, tremendously, he was in trouble before such ....
:
OK, help me here oh wise one ...

Vig has been paid
Special tires produced
Alonso seems to have a car quick enough to win Q2 qualifying sessions
Yet in the race?

BTW, where is your sidekick Raj?

I missed the race (power went out before the race started, haven't had electricity, telephone or internet since Sunday....probably not coming back until after the weekend).
Nice to see I didn't miss much.

Are you keeping score with Pete on the Vettel vs Alonso 2nd half of the season win total?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:19 AM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ltc
I missed the race (power went out before the race started, haven't had electricity, telephone or internet since Sunday....probably not coming back until after the weekend).
Nice to see I didn't miss much.
Once your power comes back, you can download the race from here.
It's a race worth watching if you are a fan and want to see some action.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:56 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:26 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,503 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Are you keeping score with Pete on the Vettel vs Alonso 2nd half of the season win total?
If he's not, I am.

Vettel: 1

Alonso: 0

I'm certain A. Wayne is an outstanding member of society and has honored his bet and sent you the bottle in escrow.

He's actually lucky that I didn't take the POints vs. POints -- Vettel vs. Alonso for the 2nd half of the season as that is opening up more and more with each race. A 1-0 deficit is easily managed....
Old 08-30-2011, 04:21 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

[quote=ltc;8829242]
Originally Posted by mklaskin

^+ 1
When it comes to advantageous safety car periods, you should ALWAYS defer to the law firm of Alonso, Piquet Jr, Symmonds and Briatore ... they pretty much wrote the book.
You mean the law firm of Alonso, Piquet, Symonds and Briatore LLP, since Alonso claims not to be responsible for the malfeasance of his partners ...
Old 08-30-2011, 08:38 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
OK, help me here oh wise one ...

Vig has been paid
Special tires produced
Alonso seems to have a car quick enough to win Q2 qualifying sessions
Yet in the race?

BTW, where is your sidekick Raj?

Rustynuts and i have no bet .. never will until he pays his previous bet and the score is 1/1 , even in the scoring he is trying to cheat ...

Vettel had help last Sunday,, RB Pitstops moved Webbo out of the way and the pace car deployment helped when he had to make that extra pitstop, if not for the safety car he would have lost 18 seconds to Alonso going into that last stop for tires.

Hence :

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner has confessed that he did not feel totally 'comfortable' in the build-up to the Belgian Grand Prix because of the tyre blistering issues suffered by his drivers in qualifying.

Q. You got quite a short stint out of the second set of softs, but quite a long one out of the third. Why was that?

Horner: With the second set of softs, the safety car came out and the window opened for us to take another set. It wasn't that we needed it; it was that we would not have had that many laps after the safety car. So that call worked out well and made the second half of the race relatively comfortable.

They are working on their tire issue .... as stated , stay tuned ...

Ferrari says its priority in the future must be to ensure its car can use its tyres better - after again seeing its form slump on harder compound rubber during the Belgian Grand Prix.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:43 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Hot sauce, this thread is finally about to hit it's stride.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:02 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rustynuts and i have no bet .. never will until he pays his previous bet and the score is 1/1 , even in the scoring he is trying to cheat ...

Vettel had help last Sunday,, RB Pitstops moved Webbo out of the way and the pace car deployment helped when he had to make that extra pitstop, if not for the safety car he would have lost 18 seconds to Alonso going into that last stop for tires.

Hence :

Red Bull Racing team principal Christian Horner has confessed that he did not feel totally 'comfortable' in the build-up to the Belgian Grand Prix because of the tyre blistering issues suffered by his drivers in qualifying.

Q. You got quite a short stint out of the second set of softs, but quite a long one out of the third. Why was that?

Horner: With the second set of softs, the safety car came out and the window opened for us to take another set. It wasn't that we needed it; it was that we would not have had that many laps after the safety car. So that call worked out well and made the second half of the race relatively comfortable.

They are working on their tire issue .... as stated , stay tuned ...

Ferrari says its priority in the future must be to ensure its car can use its tyres better - after again seeing its form slump on harder compound rubber during the Belgian Grand Prix.
DUDE, we had a bet and there are thousands of witnesses!!

Your black helicopter, safety car deployed just in time for Vettel, Oliver Stone conspiracy theories don't make up for the fact that Miss Alonso cannot perform when asked to and the fact remains, Vettel (and I) are up 1 race win to Alonso's (hence you) ZERO!!!

Race control did the right thing based on what THEY SAW on the onboard camera of Lewis Hamilton not moving his head, hands or arms after the impact and called out a safety car!!! What did you expect them to do based on that? Local yellow?

Look, I can deal with your boyfriend Alonso not putting up the results, but if Vettel ends the year with more race wins, I fully expect you to pay up with the bottle of Patron.

Please show the world your proof of any prior bets I had with you. Because you say it 15,000 times doesn't make it true!

Consolidated, please don't feel the animals. It only encourages them....
Old 08-30-2011, 10:14 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

if not for the safety car he would have lost 18 seconds to Alonso going into that last stop for tires.
It wouldn't have mattered as by Alonso's own admission, they were 1.5 seconds slower PER LAP. He also admitted that they had no chance of winning the race. But you keep spinning it ....

Alonso: I didn't think I could win28 August 2011 Fernando Alonso has admitted that Ferrari would have been hard-pressed to achieve a better result than fourth in Sunday’s Belgian Grand Prix. Having led the race, the Spaniard was knocked out of a podium position in the DRS zone by Mark Webber and Jenson Button on Laps 37 and 42, respectively.

“It would have been difficult to do better than this fourth place today, especially given how much we suffered on the Medium tyres,” said Alonso, whose best Spa finish to date is second for Renault in 2005. “In these conditions, we are a second and a half slower than the best.

Alonso dropped from second to fourth in the closing stages“Honestly, I didn’t think I had a real chance of winning, but a podium was within our grasp. The strategy saw me lead in the early stages but then we knew that, in the final part, we would struggle more.

“Compared to the gap we saw yesterday in qualifying the situation was very different today, but we are well aware that - with temperatures which were definitely not very hot for summer time - we paid too high a price.

At the moment we must congratulate our opponents, who are doing a fantastic job, but we will not give up, at least until the mathematics tell us otherwise; we will always try and win, giving it our best shot, starting in Monza.”

Just to clarify as well, Button started BEHIND Alonso, went in for a nose change and still managed to come out in front of Alonso. The win was not in hand for Alonso whatsoever.
Old 08-30-2011, 11:32 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

I do not know anything about previous bets from previous years and for that I must stay out of it. But the bets that were proposed that I saw here were either total number of points scored from the German GP forward or for total number of wins. Since the German GP Vettel has scored 55 points to Alonso's 45 points and of course since the German GP Vettel has 1 win to Alonso's 0 wins.

Did the safety car help Vettel? Well let us look what happened? Vettel had a 6 second lead over Alonso at the time when Hamilton crashed. By pitting Vettel lost his 6 second lead (which he would have lost anyway being behind the SC) and he gave up track position in order to change his tires. The question should not be so much about why did Vettel pit, the question should be why didn't Alonso also pit? It's not like Ferrari was short on option tires.

Also once the race was restarted yes Vettel passed Webber right away. Was this team orders? or was it a case of Vettel's new options tires working better than Webber's older prime tires. If it was team orders (which are allowed now), well they were damn smart team orders. Who in their right mind would allow Alonso to run off in the distance and possibly build enough of a lead to win the race when you have a driver with new option tires to be held up by a driver with older prime tires. You know Webber was quite humble after the race. He was not whining about the SC, if anything he knew he blew his race at the start.

Now you ask why didn't Webber pit during the SC? We are told there was a radio failure. As fans looking from the outside in, we do not know if this is true or not (unless you can prove to us that you intercepted RB radio chatter with absolute proof that RB is purposely sabotaging Webber, you need to just STFU). There is onboard video of the race (I have already posted the URL in this thread where you can download this video) and at the 31 minute mark it clearly shows the RB mechanics waiting for Webber to stop (Vettel has already made his stop). This all happens at the same time Button stops during the SC period. I wonder, for a team that is purposely trying to sabotage Webber as you claim, why were the mechanics waiting for him? Download this video and watch it. The Red Bull mechanics are waiting for Webber, but Webber does not stop. Looks like a radio failure may have indeed happened.

The race was not won thanks to the SC (not counting Hamilton taking himself out of the race, who knows what Hamilton would have done had he not crashed). No the race was won when Ferrari proved their car did not have the pace to race with Red Bull and McLaren once Alonso switch to the prime tires. Instead of whining about how the race was fixed thanks to a SC you really need to be asking why is Ferrari not very good when they switch to the medium prime tires. Same thing happened to them at Cataluyna.

Last edited by My993C2; 08-31-2011 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:06 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Pete and I have no bets ...he is well, not acceptable.....do your search u will find the thousands of times I told him no bet....

Watch the race again c3, you are missing some valuable info.....

Quick Reply: 2011 Belgian Grand Prix