Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

2011 Belgian Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 04:06 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
You guys Must have read a different article.
Fernando Alonso believes that the four laps spent behind the safety car during the Belgian Grand Prix turned the race in favour of Sebastian Vettel.

The comment alone does not amount to an indictment. He may have just been commenting as to what the effects of the SC at that moment had on the race.

I think FA is well aware that he does not have the car or enough remaining races to win the WDC this year. Making accusations, even by Fernando's low standards, would be counter productive, futile, and even by AWhine's conspiracy (vig is paid) theories, a demented stretch of the imagination.
Old 08-29-2011, 04:13 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote=FGL28;8827386]You guys Must have read a different article. quote]

How so?
Old 08-29-2011, 04:33 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Webber got bogged down in Anti-stall. This has happened a few times this year. Can't see why this keeps repeating though. Someone is making a mistake. Might be Webber, might not.
Originally Posted by paradisenb
Oh, Patrick. Paaaleeese. Webber, that is Webber, has screwed up so many starts, him getting pole has turned into a complete waste of effort. Once he gets the car going he is driving 2nd or 3rd best on the grid, but he just can't master that one aspect. His attitude yesterday was better than it has been since the beginning of the season. I guess a contract renewal will do that to a driver.
Originally Posted by Ritter v3.4
Wouldn't MW and SV's cars be near clones of one anothers? The only major difference being the operator. I'm not picking on Webber just trying to comprehend the huge delta between his and his teammate's starts- and for that matter everyone elses.
Originally Posted by Pete
I wonder if Webber can practice his starts between races. There is limited straight line testing allowed -- of course he can do it on Friday practices and burn a couple clutches. As someone eluded to, the problem might be between his ears at this point.
Regarding poor starts of Webber, obviously driver is part of the "picture" and Webber might be bad at starts but there are plenty of other variables with the start & clutch and also more people than just a driver are involved.

It's basically like this:

Before driver goes to a warp up lap, they find a "biting point" to a clutch, you can see before they leave when some times the cars kinda shudder back and forth. They are calculating the grip level between the asphalt and tires and are searching for the right clutch "biting point".

Then during the warm up lap, since the tires usually cool down a bit from the temperature they are with the warmers, just before the start, they do a final check of the clutch before turning into the start/finish straight.

Just before the driver stops on the grid, en engineer checks from telemetry coming from different sensors (there are few, not just one) and can do the final adjustment of the point where clutch bites when driver lets go off the clutch at the start. That engineer (not driver) estimates whether the clutch should be adjusted to bite little tighter or should it slip a bit more. Driver then adjusts the clutch to the direction engineer advices him.

After that, it's up to the driver and his reactions what kind of start he'll get.

So, like I said, I don't know whether Webber is just bad at starts or not but there's a lot more to it than just a driver.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:19 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Ya but, same car, tires, approx temps, so why not same clutch "bite" for both cars?
Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Fernando Alonso believes that the four laps spent behind the safety car during the Belgian Grand Prix turned the race in favour of Sebastian Vettel.

The comment alone does not amount to an indictment. He may have just been commenting as to what the effects of the SC at that moment had on the race.

I think FA is well aware that he does not have the car or enough remaining races to win the WDC this year. Making accusations, even by Fernando's low standards, would be counter productive, futile, and even by AWhine's conspiracy (vig is paid) theories, a demented stretch of the imagination.
[quote=mklaskin;8827549]
You guys Must have read a different article. quote]

How so?

Are you guys kidding me?

Everything Alonso says is to make a desired effect. Look at what he said when he was at McLaren of Renault or Ferrari. He is a master at putting blame onto others. He KNOWS what he says and how it will preceved.

In contrast look at Hamilton. He has acted and driven like an idiot but, as shown by his Tweet today took responsibility for the crash yesterday.

While Hamy took responsibility Alonso put blame on others.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:35 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Did anyone else think that the message given to Rosberg with just a few laps to go could have been some sort of "team orders" in disguise?

I'm a big fan of Schumi, but it seemed a little suspicious that, as Schumi closed on his teammate, Nico was told to "lift early, save fuel" or something like that. I'm not sure that Schumi had the pace to pass Nico and make it stick.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:54 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Regarding poor starts of Webber, obviously driver is part of the "picture" and Webber might be bad at starts but there are plenty of other variables with the start & clutch and also more people than just a driver are involved.

It's basically like this:

Before driver goes to a warp up lap, they find a "biting point" to a clutch, you can see before they leave when some times the cars kinda shudder back and forth. They are calculating the grip level between the asphalt and tires and are searching for the right clutch "biting point".

Then during the warm up lap, since the tires usually cool down a bit from the temperature they are with the warmers, just before the start, they do a final check of the clutch before turning into the start/finish straight.

Just before the driver stops on the grid, en engineer checks from telemetry coming from different sensors (there are few, not just one) and can do the final adjustment of the point where clutch bites when driver lets go off the clutch at the start. That engineer (not driver) estimates whether the clutch should be adjusted to bite little tighter or should it slip a bit more. Driver then adjusts the clutch to the direction engineer advices him.

After that, it's up to the driver and his reactions what kind of start he'll get.

So, like I said, I don't know whether Webber is just bad at starts or not but there's a lot more to it than just a driver.
Finn,

Agree, the driver cannot stall the car with anti-stall unless he forgot to set the system , of course he can blow the tires. IMO what happened to webber was a badly setup/ functioning system if he activated it ...

What really screwed Webbo yesterday was the perfectly timed pitstops by RB ...
Old 08-29-2011, 08:55 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1,214 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen
Did anyone else think that the message given to Rosberg with just a few laps to go could have been some sort of "team orders" in disguise?

I'm a big fan of Schumi, but it seemed a little suspicious that, as Schumi closed on his teammate, Nico was told to "lift early, save fuel" or something like that. I'm not sure that Schumi had the pace to pass Nico and make it stick.
Saw that too. And it would totally make sense if team orders were not allowed. But they are allowed...and it appeared that Schumi was catching him anyways.
Old 08-29-2011, 08:58 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PJorgen

That was the first thing that crossed my mind, but thinking it through it would make no sense. 6th to 5th big deal, plus MB has never showed any preferencial treatment toward MS. MS caught Nico from having started in 24th place, so he had the pace. They could have said, "Micheal is faster than you, do you understand" but now it is legal to `Flat Out`say move over and let him by you number 2 flunky, ballwashing, sidekick. As was indicated toward Massa.
MB had no reasonable motivation, that I can find, 5 & 6 or 6 & 5, they get the same constructor's points and neither driver has a chance at the WDC.

It would have been nice to see where MS would have ended up if he had qualified in the top 8. I gotta believe starting 8-14th on the grid has to be the worse of all starting posistions. You're sandwiched between guys that are going to try too hard in the first few corners and those that are willing to risk it all for a few posistions at the start. That is where the MB cars have been in most races the last 2 years.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:03 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

paradisenb... A throw me corn, me never call no fowl ............

Fredikia Alonso is whining that the Safety car helped Vettel win.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94119

WHAT A ******* DOUCHEBAG. It is not surprising, blame anything but yourself.

Oh and what great driving when Button drove away from her at the end of the race.
Alonso had issues with his last set of tires, but the safety car did help Vettel, tremendously, he was in trouble before such ....

Are you guys kidding me?

Everything Alonso says is to make a desired effect. Look at what he said when he was at McLaren of Renault or Ferrari. He is a master at putting blame onto others. He KNOWS what he says and how it will preceved.

In contrast look at Hamilton. He has acted and driven like an idiot but, as shown by his Tweet today took responsibility for the crash yesterday.

LOL...... get a grip Lancelot ......
Old 08-29-2011, 09:06 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,503 Likes on 2,085 Posts

^^^ I think Alonso said as much when he said that starting from 8th was a PITA as there were a lot of guys up there that are not normally that high and they all came together at T1. Looked like they were hosting a Sato party with all the CF being thrown around.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:12 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
paradisenb... A throw me corn, me never call no fowl ............

Alonso had issues with his last set of tires, but the safety car did help Vettel, tremendously, he was in trouble before such ....
You just proved my point. It is always something with the turd known as Alonso.

He whines more than my 15 year old daughter.

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
LOL...... get a grip Lancelot ......
Spoken like a true Alonso apologist and Tampex Caddy
Old 08-29-2011, 10:14 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
^^^ I think Alonso said as much when he said that starting from 8th was a PITA as there were a lot of guys up there that are not normally that high and they all came together at T1. Looked like they were hosting a Sato party with all the CF being thrown around.
When I saw the start I thought SATO is BACK!!!!!!!!.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:28 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote=FGL28;8828192]
Originally Posted by mklaskin

Are you guys kidding me?

Slow down there big guy. I'm not saying that Alonso hasn't made excuses in the past. I'm only suggesting that he was commenting on the timing of the safety car being disadvantageous for him. Autosport, though a great magazine, has been known to spin a quote here and there.

Further, Hamilton has done a fair amount of hash-slinging himself this year. Monaco and Canada come to mind.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:09 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

You just proved my point. It is always something with the turd known as Alonso.

He whines more than my 15 year old daughter.
Spoken like a true Alonso apologist and Tampex Caddy
Calm down Dulcolax , you need to learn the difference between opine and whine ..

Quick Reply: 2011 Belgian Grand Prix