Sponsored by:

AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 09:40 AM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Lou

I assume you'll be going to Sebring next week. If you want to have Nick or someone come buy the shop, I'll loan you guys a unit to test out at the event. I'll be at Mid Ohio with our Grand Am car (yellow Cayman GS number 06).
Old 09-05-2011, 12:06 PM
Lou L
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey Jerry,

Thanks for the offer, I'll contact Nick and if he's going, I'll see if he could stop by and pick it up. Sounds like a neat device!!! Good luck at Mid-Ohio!!!

Thanks,

Lou
Old 09-09-2011, 08:48 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

I'll be at Sebring Saturday 9/10. If anyone wants to try an AIM SOLO unit, I'll have a few available. I'll be at Mid Ohio 9/15-17 and try to bring a couple if anyone is there and wants to see them. At Mid Ohio look for the yellow Cayman GS car number 06.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 761 Likes on 499 Posts

I got mine. I haven't been to a real tack yet, but the unit seems awesome. I set a start/finish at one point on a culdesac and did a bunch of loops around to play with the data from it. It's very intuitive and easy to use. I can't wait for next week at the track to try it out.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the difference between the displays when one says "static" and the next says "foreT".
Old 09-11-2011, 04:56 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Matt

The best part of the SOLO is the "ForeT". This calculates a forecasted lap time after you've completed 50 to 60% and have one full lap in memory. I love this feature on my Pista dash. If you are doing well, it prompts you to really work at doing well the rest of the lap. When you cross start finish, it will switch back to the static (show last lap) for the amount of time you program in the menu.

By the way, please send me the coordinates of the NHIS start finish, that you set up at the track. I'll add that to my database and install that in all new units. Actual measurements are better than the numbers you can get from Google Earth coordinates.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:14 PM
jeromeb
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Jerry
Do you know when the Solo DL will become available?
Thanks
Jerome
Old 09-11-2011, 10:20 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I used these numbers for NHMS. I got them from the Traqmate forum

lat 43.363164
long 71.462050

I'll double check them on Thursday.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:15 AM
deputydog95
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Any idea how the video will work with the smarty cam? Will it automatically start recording video when you activate data recording to make it easy to line the video up with the data? And will you have to download the data and video from each piece of equipment and merge them with the software?

I wish they had a less expensive camera option. Seems like you're paying for a bunch of features with the smarty cam you won't use when connected with the solo.

How will the DL connect to the OBD? Is it a right angle connection to keep it out of the way? And what type of data should I expect from a .1 997 GT3?
Old 09-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Can some of you post pictures of your solo install? Thanks
Old 09-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Has anyone mounted one of these on their console panel (down where the radio use to be in my Cayman)? Will this interfere with the gps signal. The manual states that nothing should be above the unit due to the internal antennae? I really do not want to use a window mount if I can put this down on my console. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:02 PM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Trj,

I am also interested in how people are mounting their AIM Solo. For example, I can't find anything in the instructions regarding the orientation of the unit when mounting. Does it need to be square? How far back can you tilt the display?

Scott
Old 09-17-2011, 08:50 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

their smartycam has a port for connecting an antennae thus you can put the camera in a closed area withno satelitte reception and the antanne can be wired outside the car for satellite reception. i wonder if the solo has the same.

anyone know?

Originally Posted by Trj
Has anyone mounted one of these on their console panel (down where the radio use to be in my Cayman)? Will this interfere with the gps signal. The manual states that nothing should be above the unit due to the internal antennae? I really do not want to use a window mount if I can put this down on my console. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I put three different units in a number of different cars this weekend. They were all windshield mounted. The orientation of the unit didn't seem to matter, but they were installed mostly upright and square to the car. The GPS seems to be pretty robust and didn't have any trouble getting a signal.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:43 AM
winders
Race Car

Received 743 Likes on 380 Posts

Matt,

Thanks for the info!

Scott
Old 09-26-2011, 05:38 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by akirasan
Yeah, on my unit the four holes don't align with the adapter plate so no clue there. AMPS is a standard for mounting electronics, examples include mounts from Panavise. Seems this is a common mounting method for mobile phones & GPS. With RAM diamond being the other I guess they just chose, though if they'd drilled their adapter for AMPS it would've been a beautiful thing...
Not sure if it helps you, but RAM makes a ball mount with the AMPS hole pattern. http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

Quick Reply: AIM Solo GPS Lap timer available $399