Racing, yes; Porsche, not so much... at Gingerman

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 09:12 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Racing, yes; Porsche, not so much... at Gingerman

Got my new DSR out for its first SCCA weekend, a Regional/National at Gingerman last weekend. Was pretty exciting, with horizontal rain, hail, and two mixed-conditions races. And no rains for the car. Well, hey, no rims to even mount 'em...

Anyway, was great experience and good to get out of the way; picked up a 2nd in the Regional, 4th in the National... and went really really fast! Top of 5th, reaching for 6th... here's some in-car of a coupla laps during the first quali sessions... yeah, my line sucks, rarely go there and first time with this car... did a track walk Sat night, would've helped greatly, except Sunday was all wet and I was just keeping the car on the track and mostly out of the way...

Anyway, here's the vid... enjoy!
Old 08-12-2011, 03:20 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

Must be a blast to drive! Seems you are braking VERY early due to new course and car.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:06 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yep, sure is! Yes, very very early braking; still learning that, even at my home track.

We had problems in our first outing with very bad dartiness on brakes; since fixed, but I have to unlearn that...
Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Which brakes are on the car? LDxx or something else?
Old 08-13-2011, 09:35 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Still LD19's all around, with Hawk Blues for now! LOL

I have LD20's in the box for the front, waiting to go, just have to make the rims fit over 'em and/or get alloy rims that'll work. The Diamond steelies won't quite make it, at least not without more spacer (have to check that yet).

The only remaining problem with braking is a small amount of slop in the steering/rack... the rack bushings are a bit worn, and need to be replaced (know a retail source?)... think that is eating up tie rod ends as well... either way, still can have a touch of dartiness on a hard apply...
Old 08-13-2011, 09:55 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That thing looks like a big go-kart. I'll bet it's a blast to drive. Good luck with it.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-13-2011, 10:09 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Still LD19's all around, with Hawk Blues for now! LOL

I have LD20's in the box for the front, waiting to go, just have to make the rims fit over 'em and/or get alloy rims that'll work. The Diamond steelies won't quite make it, at least not without more spacer (have to check that yet).

The only remaining problem with braking is a small amount of slop in the steering/rack... the rack bushings are a bit worn, and need to be replaced (know a retail source?)... think that is eating up tie rod ends as well... either way, still can have a touch of dartiness on a hard apply...
I had dartiness on my VD two different times. One was when I first got it and the alignment was wonky. The second was when one caliper began to need a rebuild.

For the steering rack, not sure. I'm sure Apexspeed would have a good idea for swift parts.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:49 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, we had a devil of a time when we first started, but the alignment was crap. Now that's all sorted, so it's just down to a small bit of slop up there. Manageable, but enough to slow be down and keep me from getting to even 9/10ths on the brakes...

@Larry - yep, go-kart with stupid power +1! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Racing, yes; Porsche, not so much... at Gingerman