Where to run the lap belts ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:58 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 172 Posts
Default Where to run the lap belts ???

Hey guys,

Just finished installing a set of Sparco Evo's in my 89 Carrera using the Sparco sliders ,Sparco side brackets and Brey Krause sub bar and inner tunnel mount brackets for the eyebolts ... The outer eyebolts are mounted to the OEM seat belt holes.

I am using a Schroth 6 point harness and i was wondering if i have to run the lap belts through the holes on the seat or if it's OK to run them over the sides of the seat ?
It seems to fit a lot better if i don't run them through the holes as the angle
just doesn't seem correct.
Am i doing this right ?

Cheers !
Phil
Old 08-10-2011, 12:16 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Should run through seat's holes. Sounds like the mounting points aren't rights. I'd suggest you look through Schroth's install instructions. The instructions show the proper angles for all the belts.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 579 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Hey guys,

Just finished installing a set of Sparco Evo's in my 89 Carrera using the Sparco sliders ,Sparco side brackets and Brey Krause sub bar and inner tunnel mount brackets for the eyebolts ... The outer eyebolts are mounted to the OEM seat belt holes.

I am using a Schroth 6 point harness and i was wondering if i have to run the lap belts through the holes on the seat or if it's OK to run them over the sides of the seat ?
It seems to fit a lot better if i don't run them through the holes as the angle
just doesn't seem correct.
Am i doing this right ?

Cheers !
Phil
Schroth laps through the side holes, stock outer laps over the top.

You don't want any interference in your ability to tighten the Schroth belts and it's hard enough when they are the only set going through the side holes.

On mine on the tunnel side I do put the stock receiver through the hole but it is folded out of the way for track use, I can do this because I used the short belt rear receivers w/o their plastic covers on the front seat tunnel side.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:49 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Thanks guys,that's what i thought ...
I used the original outer belt mounting holes for the outer eyebolts and the Brey Krause mounting brackets for the inner because i have the heater lever console that is in the way and i didn't feel like drilling holes in the tunnel at this point.
What a pain in the a$$ installing these seats ... lol

I'll take a few pictures today and post them,let me know if you see anything wrong !

Cheers !
Phil
Old 08-11-2011, 09:26 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Default Correct seat and belt installation

I hope these pictures can help identify if my installation is correct ...
Seems like the lap belts are hard to tighten if i pass them through the holes in the seat.
Should i trim off the side brackets where they seem to interfere with the holes in the seats ?
As for the shoulder belts,they are held in place on the roll bar with some Longacre padding which is ty rapped to the bar so i'm good on that point.

Any feedback would be appreciated !

Cheers !
Phil
Attached Images        
Old 08-11-2011, 11:30 AM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

"Should i trim off the side brackets where they seem to interfere with the holes in the seats ?"
YES!
Old 08-11-2011, 11:40 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Hmmm... just wondering now if i don't have the side brackets installed improperly ...
Is it possible that the higher part of the bracket should be on the forward end ?

Cheers!
Phil
Old 08-11-2011, 12:01 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
Hmmm... just wondering now if i don't have the side brackets installed improperly ...
Is it possible that the higher part of the bracket should be on the forward end ?

Cheers!
Phil
Before you start cutting on the seat brackets, try reversing them as you suspect. I see you have a notch marked for cutting. Don't do that. Test fit the opposite way. That's how they look to be designed.

The crotch belts needs to be anchored to the bar itself, not the thin alignment bracket. That's not likely to hold under stress.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 815 Likes on 467 Posts

If you convert your lap belt from pull up to pull down they will work much easier. On further review I see the lap belts have sewn in ends so converting is not an option.

Peter
Old 08-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Eifeler
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sig_a
Before you start cutting on the seat brackets, try reversing them as you suspect. I see you have a notch marked for cutting. Don't do that. Test fit the opposite way. That's how they look to be designed.
Concur with this. Looks like the the bracket angles will be more favorable and you'll probably need more height adjustment in the front vs back (to lean seat back for Hans comfort).

Last edited by Eifeler; 08-11-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:42 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Originally Posted by sig_a

The crotch belts needs to be anchored to the bar itself, not the thin alignment bracket. That's not likely to hold under stress.
Thanks Sig,

I kind of figured that for the crotch belts but i wasn't sure !
Will do that, and try reversing the side brackets as well ...

Cheers !
Phil
Old 08-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Will you have any $ left over to buy the gang lunch
Old 08-11-2011, 04:59 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Dwane,

I'm staying up at the track for the three days next weekend so yes i can provide the sausages ...
As far as money goes,happened to spot Matt's 993 at WeTune today when i went for my tech inspection ,seems they were drifting it around the parking lot to see where the oil leak was coming from ... lol

As per Andrew it sounds like an engine drop !!!
We can all chip in and buy Matt dinner

Cheers !
Phil

Quick Reply: Where to run the lap belts ???