Sponsored by:

OT: Race car wash and wax.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by claykos
I zip ..... Out here in AZ about 3 seconds after you unload off the trailer (let alone first on track session) its going to have a layer of dust over the whole car. We have so much sand on track if I wanted to keep a perfect show car paint job on my race cars I would have to respray it after every event!

I am a fluid dynamicist...I also know that for club racing, and just about any other racing short of F1, the nut behind the wheel is biggest factor and I'm not going to be any faster with different wax.
you could use mylar film and simply replace once a season for that shiny new look (in germany taxis and police cars do this to make it easier to sell the cars second hand)

Not having a fast wax job gives you a truck load of excuses, didn't you get told that Brazilians win?

T+C
Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Simple wash then Maguire's Cleaner Wax.....

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...p?T1=MEG+A1214
That's exactly what I do with mine. Mothers also makes a good cleaner wax that works about as well.
Old 08-06-2011, 01:05 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Just tried a new product from Mothers: R3---Race Rubber Remover. It is by far the best product I have ever used. Spray on, wait for 30 seconds, and wipe off. I cleaned my car after a race and removed about 500 tire marks in about 5 minutes. Highly recommend this product but had to buy online---not available at regular auto stores.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:37 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Mothers carnauba cleaner wax is good too.

Meguires used to make a dragster wax. It was pretty cool stuff. You're finger would squeak on the paint. We used it at the shop I worked at as a teen in Socal. That's back when Barry made sales calls.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:40 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by claykos

Out here in AZ about 3 seconds after you unload off the trailer (let alone first on track session) its going to have a layer of dust over the whole car. We have so much sand on track if I wanted to keep a perfect show car paint job on my race cars I would have to respray it after every event!.
I can't remember the last time I washed my race car! Really there is very little dirt on the car that is not dust here. Rain races are rare and that is what makes cars dirty. Here it is dust which you can wipe off and rock chips which need a respray to fix. Mylar film. Not worth it on a track car especially one worth 10k on a good day. I just make sure my car looks ok from a distance.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Motorcycle spray detailer/wax. Cleans tire marks, and leaves a waxy finish.

I clean my car after every session.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Seth Thomas
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
Motorcycle spray detailer/wax. Cleans tire marks, and leaves a waxy finish.

I clean my car after every session.
plus 1.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:26 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of your inputs.....
Old 08-08-2011, 07:43 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
plus 1.
Seth I thought you had people
Old 08-08-2011, 09:24 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 144 Likes on 98 Posts

Well... we usually do not have much dust here. And many of us never run in the rain. We do not need to. Despite this, the car gets covered with bugs, feathers (from pheasants), rubber, oil, and all kinds of crap. Some of my friends use waterless products, I prefer water.

I almost always race with the Porsche Racing Club here in NorCal. We put on an excellent show under NASA sanction. We like to have a clean, professional brace of Porsches. I do not like to see dirty cars on our grids.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:18 PM
consolidated
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
Just tried a new product from Mothers: R3---Race Rubber Remover. It is by far the best product I have ever used. Spray on, wait for 30 seconds, and wipe off. I cleaned my car after a race and removed about 500 tire marks in about 5 minutes. Highly recommend this product but had to buy online---not available at regular auto stores.
Great tip. I used R3 on rubber marks that have been baked on since last season, with a magic eraser it wiped everything off with minimal rubbing. It's the quickest, easiest method by far. Beats everything else I've tried hands down. The stuff is magic.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Cool, I am ordering it now.....
Old 03-13-2012, 08:55 PM
facelvega
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
..... Finishes on yacht hulls ..... are the subject of continual research and a number of finishes have been banned........
R+C
Say, could you name some of the banned finish products, and where you get them? Just to make sure I'm not using them by accident, of course......
Old 03-21-2012, 12:58 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

Mothers: R3 Race Rubber Remover is magic.

I bought some and it works on the painted surfaces. Sprayed on rocker panels with years of rubber marks, waited 30 secs, and wiped clean with one swipe.

I had some marks on vinyl and clear bra that had been on there for months and it did not work quite as well, but did not damage the material.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:18 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a wrap on my race car so I don't care to much about protecting the finish.

After each session I simply wash it entirely using... Windex and cheap Canadian Tire paper towel ! After the last session of each day I take the rubber off using... race gas and then wash it again with Windex ! That's it ! And everyone always compliment me how good it looks ;0)

Quick Reply: OT: Race car wash and wax.......