Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Race car wash and wax.......

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 06:07 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Default OT: Race car wash and wax.......

Any pointers on what products and procedures to use for wash and wax.......

Not looking for a concourse finish, but something that looks good in the tracktime photoes and that doesn't require an entire week-end to achieve......

TIA
Old 08-05-2011, 06:13 PM
jberb55
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't have a racecar, but wash with whatever car soap your local Target has, finish with Klasse All-In-One.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:17 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

RejeX wax would be a good finish too. Order from Bumperplugs.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:28 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Simple wash then Maguire's Cleaner Wax.....

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...p?T1=MEG+A1214
Old 08-05-2011, 09:05 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a tar or bug remover to get off most of the rubber. Then I clay the paint to remove tree sap and other biologicals, then power buff (PortaCable) the whirls and finally wax with Zymöl or PS21. 6 hour job. I don't do it very often, but it is a nice winter project. In the interim, I just remove the rubber and wash it.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:29 PM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

hahaha...wash the race car? it just gets dirty again :-)

Fast cars are dirty
Old 08-05-2011, 10:28 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Any liquid wax and a 10" buffer works wonders taking most marks off and takes minimal time. I use a light compound or glaze when I want to really make the paint look good, do it at the end of each track season.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:35 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by claykos

Fast cars are dirty
+1
Old 08-05-2011, 11:28 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Fast cars are dirty
Second fastest cars are dirty. Fastest cars stay much cleaner.....

I use whatever I have to clean the rubber marks off. WD40, Stoner Tarminator, Brake Cleaner and then wipe the car down.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:40 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Fast cars are dirty
I agree, but I look at all the pretty cars my buddies drive and I decide that I have to wash and wax my racecar at least once a year........

Thanks guys for all the imputs so far.......
Old 08-06-2011, 12:18 AM
gomez1
Racer

sd-20 for the tire marks
Old 08-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 144 Likes on 98 Posts

Dirty race cars are a sin. Race cars should be absolutely as spic and span as they can be at all times. I believe that this is an issue of pride and safety.

My 911 gets a thorough cleaning after each track event. This includes the underside, where I sometime use Simple Green or Oil Flo Safety Solvent. On the wheels, I use P21s. I am very careful with the wheels.

Topside I start with a wash. I use Sonax Car Shampoo. Have since 1987 or so. I buy from Car Care Specialties. I started buying from them in 1988 or so, and they have excellent product and process information on their web site. After the car is washed, I dry it and then get rid of rubber, et cetera, with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. Have since 1987 or so. I do not wax after every event... maybe every other event. I use either Harley's or Blitz carnauba wax. This includes the wing. The entire topside and underside process takes as little as an hour and averages about 90 minutes. I often complete the process right after arriving home from an event.

Have some pride... maintain a spotless race car... it is also easier to see your paint dots and/or anything amiss.

Most of the cars frequently raced in the Porsche Racing Club are as clean as mine in the paddock.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:24 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Simple wash then Maguire's Cleaner Wax.....

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/produc...p?T1=MEG+A1214
That's what I use. Just look at that turd
Old 08-06-2011, 09:18 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

in a decent race series you are required to clean your race trucks once you have aligned then, let alone the race cars.

you should consult a fluid dynamicist to select which particular wax produces the optimum boundary layer effect for your car. Anticipate hours in the windtunnel.

You may think I am joking - must of the above is true. Finishes on yacht hulls (water is just another fluid, yachts move through two of them) are the subject of continual research and a number of finishes have been banned. Shiniest isn't fastest.

R+C
Old 08-06-2011, 11:42 AM
claykos
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mahler9th
Dirty race cars are a sin. Race cars should be absolutely as spic and span as they can be at all times. I believe that this is an issue of pride and safety.

My 911 gets a thorough cleaning after each track event. This includes the underside, where I sometime use Simple Green or Oil Flo Safety Solvent. On the wheels, I use P21s. I am very careful with the wheels.

Topside I start with a wash. I use Sonax Car Shampoo. Have since 1987 or so. I buy from Car Care Specialties. I started buying from them in 1988 or so, and they have excellent product and process information on their web site. After the car is washed, I dry it and then get rid of rubber, et cetera, with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. Have since 1987 or so. I do not wax after every event... maybe every other event. I use either Harley's or Blitz carnauba wax. This includes the wing. The entire topside and underside process takes as little as an hour and averages about 90 minutes. I often complete the process right after arriving home from an event.

Have some pride... maintain a spotless race car... it is also easier to see your paint dots and/or anything amiss.

Most of the cars frequently raced in the Porsche Racing Club are as clean as mine in the paddock.
I take very thorough care of my car(s) and the underside is cleaned and inspected after every event. I am just not super compulsive about the top side. I hit it with the california duster and some quick detailer. Rubber markes get simple green.

I've seen lots of very "clean looking" cars which were mechanical nightmares. Just because someone takes the time to wax a car doesn't mean it's well taken care of or well put together and just because someone isn't so concerned with mirror paint on their race car doesn't mean it isn't meticulously maintained.

Out here in AZ about 3 seconds after you unload off the trailer (let alone first on track session) its going to have a layer of dust over the whole car. We have so much sand on track if I wanted to keep a perfect show car paint job on my race cars I would have to respray it after every event!

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
in a decent race series you are required to clean your race trucks once you have aligned then, let alone the race cars.

you should consult a fluid dynamicist to select which particular wax produces the optimum boundary layer effect for your car. Anticipate hours in the windtunnel.

You may think I am joking - must of the above is true. Finishes on yacht hulls (water is just another fluid, yachts move through two of them) are the subject of continual research and a number of finishes have been banned. Shiniest isn't fastest.

R+C
I am a fluid dynamicist...I also know that for club racing, and just about any other racing short of F1, the nut behind the wheel is biggest factor and I'm not going to be any faster with different wax.

Quick Reply: OT: Race car wash and wax.......