Sponsored by:

Need help buying a lift - no space or ceiling height constraints

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 02:51 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by David Edwards
Very nice garage Brandon! What are the dimensions?
It is 32'x40' with about 23' headroom under the ridge beam, about 7' headroom in the loft under ridge. I can fit 5-6 vehicles in there by using dollys but the rationale of the parking lift is to eliminate the shuffling around that occurs by getting at least one car up in the air out of the way. 60x40 will be very good sized. I am in a dense downtown location on a smallish lot so I was lucky to get to this size. Definitely lurk GJ a bit for ideas on every conceivable topic.

This is my current garage. The previous owner was highly eccentric!
Ha that's a terrific photo, they'd love it over at garage journal may I cross post?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:07 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

I've got a bendpak 4 post lift. HD9 model. Very happy as a parking lift, and not bad for most repairs. You'll need 220v and a small compressor to run it efficiently.

+1 for a view at garagejournal.com Very compulsive guys with opinions over there.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Viperbob1
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonH
That's very interesting. Would love to get a model or SKU number or something. Would my Rotary guy know about this?
Took a little doing to find all the info. Not sure if regular Rotary guy would know or not. I am sure he could find out. The thing works GREAT though. Even fits under a Cup.. Several other models that were supposedly low would not even fit under a stock Porsche. Check with Rotary guy.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:26 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Bob, I would love to know what the model number of your Rotary lift is, or maybe even a photo of the arm? Jacking or air lifting the cup to get arms underneath is a hassle; especially if you can get one super low profile. I remember Ferrari of Atlanta used a rotary that they didn't have to jack the cars; stock cars though.

I was pleased with what I've read about the Bend-pac, and found them online for $3k. The underneath height specs are important to me. What kind of errors cause cars to come off? Not getting the balance point right?

Haha.. Your welcome to cross post the photo. It reminds me of the old picture of a 328 in a similar garage with the caption "Priorities" below it. This new house has no garage except for this one. The original part of the house was built in 1875, and the shop has to be pretty old as well. I figure it's withstood a lot of hurricanes so far, so I cross my fingers and park it. Did you notice the cinder blocks holding the awning roof down?

Last edited by dwe8922; 08-09-2011 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:16 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob, I would love to know what the model number of your Rotary lift is, or maybe even a photo of the arm? Jacking or air lifting the cup to get arms underneath is a hassle; especially if you can get one super low profile. I remember Ferrari of Atlanta used a rotary that they didn't have to jack the cars; stock cars though.

I was pleased with what I've read about the Bend-pac, and found them online for $3k. The underneath height specs are important to me. What kind of errors cause cars to come off? Not getting the balance point right?

Haha.. Your welcome to cross post the photo. It reminds me of the old picture of a 328 in a similar garage with the caption "Priorities" below it. This new house has no garage except for this one. The original part of the house was built in 1875, and the shop has to be pretty old as well. I figure it's withstood a lot of hurricanes so far, so I cross my fingers and park it. Did you notice the cinder blocks holding the awning roof down?
The more I look at the garage the better I like it.

I have 2 rotary lifts that have non standard arms for low cars MB SLR for example. The lifts are not the part you need it is the arms. The M# for the MB SLR lift would do you little good as it also includes computer link wiring and is made wider than standard. I can move arms from one lift of a build group to another so I bet you can just get the arms you need.
I bet you can call Rotary directly and discuss you requirements. They make 3 section arms and arms with spinner pads rather than cast steel flip ups and the like. The pads on the 3 section arms are lower than the 2 section arms.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:09 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Rotary model SPOA10RA in my garage. That's an assymetric 10,000lb lift and the RA suffix means screw-up nylon pads (no scratches!) and 3 piece front arms. The RA arms used to be known as "Porsche" adapters and will get under a car that is 2-3/4" (IIRC) my Boxster is lowered 1-1/2 inches and it is no problem getting it on this lift. I think if you add an "EH1" to the end of that part number you get 1 foot Extended Height which gets you a walkunder height of 80". Your last decision is 3 phase current or not, the lift will pick up quicker with 3 phase. I'm surprised your Rotary salesperson didn't know all of this. Rotary seems to be the choice of most new car dealers - you can't go wrong with it. I was a Rotary distributor until selling that part of my business 3 years ago.
Cheers
Randy

Quick Reply: Need help buying a lift - no space or ceiling height constraints